Author Topic: are graphics gonna be like this ??  (Read 3682 times)

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
are graphics gonna be like this ??
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2004, 04:15:35 AM »
oh vorticon its just the same as AH2 (beta)
please whipe out ur eyes

the cessna is just like a space shuttle just add a rocket

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2004, 07:15:32 AM »
Could I suggest the some major motion picture studio enlist tochy's skills and do a "Band of Brothers" type feature film, except about the 8th AF over Germany in 1944, or better yet about the Cactus Air Force on Guadalcanal in 1942-43?

Done well, that would be a film for the ages.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2004, 10:24:46 AM »
The gualdacanal one would be awsome. As would a Malta one.

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2004, 10:39:38 AM »
I hope HTC wont go in the "unreadable-unusable" cockpits direction ....
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

VWE

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2004, 11:23:14 AM »
o.k. we have round dials, so how come we can't have curves on our canopies? If I have to buy a new system to play AHII is it too much to hope for something more than converted AHI straight line canopies?:(

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2004, 02:42:05 AM »
Dont compare IL-2 with Aces High. That simply doesnt work. Its not HT strategy. As long as AH will be a downloadable game with not more then 50MB download there wont be a chance we see eyecandys like in IL-2 EAP.
Freeze

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2004, 05:03:49 AM »
Originally posted by AKWeav
Close, but throw in enough fog so you can't see the island in the first screen

The normal horizon distance in FB is 20 kilometers, about 12 miles. With the "perfect" terrain lighting settings the horizon distance in FB is 30 km, about 18 miles.  

The AH2 default horizon fog distance is 10 miles. The maximum available horizon distance setting in AH2 is 17 miles.

Originally posted by Kweassa
1. Texture resolution
2. Convincing terrains and backgrounds
3. Better lighting effects

Texture resolution is the same, 1024x1024.

The new micro terrain in AH2 is almost as good as the FB system. In terms of polygons and elevation features, the FB terrain is probably more limited than the AH2 terrain.  However, FB has a vastly superior system for rivers, lakes and shorelines.

In my opinion, like Kweassa also said, the single biggest graphical difference between AH2 and FB is the lighting effects.  I dont know how much a better lighting engine would increase the download size of AH2, I would assume not much?  However, the increased hardware requirements are a different thing...

Camo
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline acepilot2

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2004, 01:57:46 PM »
the thing about the ah2 terrain is that it is too "square" and not smooth enough imo.

and..about the texture resolution thing...does that mean it IS possible to make ah2 skins the quality of il2?

Offline Fangio

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2004, 02:15:05 PM »
Originally posted by fffreeze220
Dont compare IL-2 with Aces High. That simply doesnt work. Its not HT strategy. As long as AH will be a downloadable game with not more then 50MB download there wont be a chance we see eyecandys like in IL-2 EAP.

This is why I dont fly AH and dont have an account.  The game just looks poor. Also,  the views possible from the cockpits are so unrealistic and totally remove the concept of the "bounce"... but thats another matter.

I have no problem with AH providing a base graphics set that is small for download (cater to the dialup guys) and requires an ancient computer to play.

However,  why does AH not offer alternate graphics updates? Why not publish the base art, but also allow seperate options for those willing to download 500MB  (take about 10 minutes here) and/or have a very fast machine?

Heck,  you could probably get many community guys to build the models and graphics then submit them for review and implementation.

I just dont buy the whole "MMOLG means you have to have crap graphics" arguement.  I wont pay for it.

Fang

Offline acepilot2

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2004, 04:36:19 PM »
Originally posted by Fangio
This is why I dont fly AH and dont have an account.  The game just looks poor. Also,  the views possible from the cockpits are so unrealistic and totally remove the concept of the "bounce"... but thats another matter.

I have no problem with AH providing a base graphics set that is small for download (cater to the dialup guys) and requires an ancient computer to play.

However,  why does AH not offer alternate graphics updates? Why not publish the base art, but also allow seperate options for those willing to download 500MB  (take about 10 minutes here) and/or have a very fast machine?

Heck,  you could probably get many community guys to build the models and graphics then submit them for review and implementation.

I just dont buy the whole "MMOLG means you have to have crap graphics" arguement.  I wont pay for it.

Fang

While ah graphics could be improved and the alternate download thing is a good idea, I think you  don't know alot about game development. There are several roadblocks and reasons which don't allow for what you said above.

If you want me to go into detail why these aren't possible I will do so.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 04:40:14 PM by acepilot2 »

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2004, 05:42:48 PM »
Originally posted by LLv34_Camouflage

Texture resolution is the same, 1024x1024.

Sadly mistaken here, map height field size is 1024x1024 in AH. Texture size is 256x256.

Resolution is an entirely different thing you can have a 256 x 256 bitmap at 300 dpi resolution. AH bitmaps use 72 dpi resolution in most cases.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2004, 05:59:02 PM »
The normal horizon distance in FB is 20 kilometers, about 12 miles. With the "perfect" terrain lighting settings the horizon distance in FB is 30 km, about 18 miles.
The AH2 default horizon fog distance is 10 miles. The maximum available horizon distance setting in AH2 is 17 miles.

I took this shot as soon as the island became recognizable.  As you know the AH grids are 25 miles apart.  Using the center of the plane symbol on the map and estimating to the coastline of the island, I come up with 5 to 7 miles.

My point being the fog is much to heavy. It's so heavy that at 12k altitude, you are flying on istruments as there is no concernable horizon at all (and this in a fighter, bombers are worst yet).  Moreover, at altitudes over 10k, calibrating the bombsight is near impossible as the target in not visable in the bombsite until it's too late.

Yes I know that it's beta, but no one knows (or they arn't telling) if this thick soup will be with us forever.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2004, 09:27:14 PM »
Weav folks have already gone offline with AH2 and found that the fog is able to be changed.  The bright blue skies you see in AH1 are capable of being done in AH2.  It's just the demo maps settings thats all.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2004, 10:00:02 PM »
High Res texture file?

I'd download it in a heartbeat.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2004, 02:13:36 AM »
This download thing is simply bull**t, a 100MB+ download wont worry anyone. Moreover, highres files could be simply an add-on.

The average user has much more than the PIII 1Ghz + GeForce2 + 56K modem, you know :rolleyes:
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown