Author Topic: Stick stirring  (Read 529 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Stick stirring
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2000, 09:25:00 AM »
heya Ram1  

Udie

Offline Ram1

• Zinc Member
Stick stirring
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2000, 11:43:00 AM »
ooooooodeeeeeee  

This BBS is looking more and more like AGW every week.

You guys sure you don't want to adopt Bobn and Lazs <VBG>

Ram1

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Stick stirring
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2000, 12:58:00 PM »
hehehehehehe

udie

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
Stick stirring
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2000, 04:51:00 PM »
I'm sure we could arrange for a bottle or 2 of good malt, if you take them  

Daff

------------------
CO, 56th Fighter Group
"This is Yardstick. Follow me"

funked

Stick stirring
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2000, 05:25:00 PM »
I'm not seeing this.  The only things I've seen that looked ugly are:

1.  When a guy pulls too hard in a turn and does a flick-stall.

2.  When a guy spins.

3.  When I'm in a big furball or near a field and my FPS goes to hell.  Then everything looks like a warp.

But 1 & 2 usually are fatal for the enemy and 3 is the fault of my ancient 2-year old computer.  I've been able to saddle up many bandits at 300 yards on in.

I've seen the porpoise move but it's always low frequency, not warpy, and easy to track once you figure out what the runstang err enemy is doing.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 10-02-2000).]

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Stick stirring
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2000, 05:33:00 PM »
well I have...  last night a  P-51 was doing a good job of stick stirring. took me some time to finnally get enuff pings to hurt him. I was amazed at the manuevers he was pulling.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Stick stirring
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2000, 07:40:00 PM »
I thinks stick-stirring is on the rise. Particularly loads of negative-G hit the rudder pedals like your kicking your dog type stuff.

I've been on guys who instead trying to manoevre out of a fight just stir like crazy. Its really obvious because they stay on the same general course.

I agree with the new E-retention thing, I think its something to do with that. I like the idea someone had of linking a pilots G state to control inputs, ie if your blacked/reded out you can't do sh*t.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Stick stirring
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2000, 07:49:00 PM »
Seems the arena is split three ways.
People that dont see ya coming. and people that dont care your coming cause your rounds are gona miss, and people that will give you a good fight.
I like the good fights, I like the guys that dont see me. I wish I was in a different game when I see a low nik just hanging in there begging 3 hi cons to take a shot at him.
Thats why the chog is so prevelant. It is dangours at greater then effective stick stir range. Someone starts that sillyness with a plane that can cripple it at 800 yards he is taking an increadable risk.(then he complains about the chog.)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Stick stirring
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2000, 08:29:00 PM »
 I've been seeing it for a while.  Most of the time it's funny, there's no warp. I just see the nose of their plane going in cirlces and the tail sliding back and forth.  Since 1.04 though the warps happen when they do this...

Udie

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Stick stirring
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2000, 09:23:00 PM »
It really messes me up.. and it get me killed. When they start that stuff; I'm either on a fast B&Z pass; and miss the shot.. or seeing it in progress have to dump my 'e', saddle up and start sprayin.

[pre-rant]

The few moments it takes to focus tightly on the madly twitching idjit and THEN having to solve the warp/stir/direction puzzel after I've ALREADY solved the Angles/ACM/Gunnery puzzel seems to more often than not just get me killed by another guy dropping in on my happy pony ass.

[/pre-rant]
[rant]

Effectively the stick stirrin is killin me. It certainly makes slowin down and dealin with the guy more of a Hobson Decision than it oughta be.. crap the guy shoulda been dead 3/10ths of a second after I got the angle and lead dialed in on him; and I shoulda been on my way back up on the perch.

Instead; I'm hung on this nitwits flea-flickin butt fer two or three turns, draining my 'e' right out the relief tube tryin to get the fargin twitch/warp/flick crap dialed in. If I say screw it; and overshoot, the guy suddenly get's steady as rails in my six view and here come's his big surprise....

Fargin workloads gettin to be too much. dammit; I'm steamed... "WHERE'S MY GROG; WENCH???!!" Oh damn. Thats right. She moved out the last time I asked that question. Time fer Hairball to start gettin some new workouts. Ahhh.. (a tail drifts pass the chair) ..methinks a cat must be attached to the other end.. [GRAB]

<PUNT!> MEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWW!

I feel MUCH better now.

[/rant]

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Stick stirring
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2000, 10:05:00 PM »
Guess I saw it for the first time tonight with a Spitfire <cough> driver. Dweebiest moves I've ever seen. And if my Zeke had more ammo he'd have been dead as a door nail.
 Looked like he was a marrionette puppet jigging, flopping and twirling around. No connection issue at all -meaning no warps. How the fudge an aircraft can fly forward doing those maneuvers is beyond me. How the heck the ant-stick stirring feature in AH did no kick in is beyond my wildest guess. His wings should have ripped and his head turned into a mushed tomatoe.  Dweeby. Absolutely dweeby.

He still died  

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 10-02-2000).]

Offline Skorpyon

• Copper Member
Stick stirring
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2000, 11:35:00 PM »
Gotta admit.. I have never seen what I was sure must be stick stirring until the latest version.  AH is my first sim, so I have no previous experience with stick stir, and til now have only gone by descriptions of the "phenomenon" by others.  Shortly after the new version, I was chasing a P-51, closed to within d500 and was readying for the inevitable, when suddenly it was as if he became one of those little planes on a stick, only the stick ran through both vert and horizontal axes.. flopping around in ways that would absolutely impossible, and almost as if he suddenly hung in mid air doing this double axis flop.  Obviously I zoomed right past him, and he just as suddenly quit flopping, saddled up, and attempted to chase.  I evaded and extended safely, but was thoroughly disgusted with what I had just seen.  I've seen similar stuff a couple of times since then as well, having not flown much lately due to little available time.  Another weird issue is in regards to the stick stirring "warning".  I have never received this warning until the newest version, strangely enough.  Weirdest part was I was getting it during level flight.  My stick was spiking so hard my plane seemed spastic.  I attributed this to connection probs, and just upped the damping, thereby fixing it.  E retention at times seems a tad unrealistic, but I have no real life reference or experience to justify this feeling... just seems weird some of the things prop planes are capable of doing now.  Just throwin my two well worn pennies worth in.  Oh, gotta say though... in the words of my teenaged children.... AH still rocks!  

------------------
Skorpyon
~900th Bloody Jaguars~
"Feel the Sting......"