Author Topic: The Black Sheep - Friday's setup  (Read 2050 times)

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
The Black Sheep - Friday's setup
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2004, 03:34:02 PM »
I wonder, if you gripe constantly about the setups, does it mean more or less when you actually say you like one?

hmmmmmm.....

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2004, 04:09:10 PM »
Originally posted by artik
That is the point.
Do we have to run one more PTO setup when there were 2 setups last time.

When did we had late war Europ setup? Looks like more then 6 weeks.

Lets make it ballanced and don't run all the time setups from same theatre.

I believe it was the week before or maybe two weeks before the "Second Wind" setup ran. There were two back to back European Theater although they were Eastern Front setups and were not a Spitfire/Typhoon/P-51/P-47/109/190 matchup like the two before that which were BoF and Channel engagements.

We do try to have an even setup rotation and we are always looking to keep it balanced. Hopefully we can do it better in the future.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2004, 04:36:20 PM »
artik balanced like the current setup?  

Balance is overblown.  The worse setups are always the ones where people start throwing things in for 'balance' and you end up with 8 fighter models on both sides and the whole point of the setup gets lost.

The current setup is rather unbalanced, but that is the point, that darn 202 is a nasty plane, not to mention the 109e.  If the ct staff 'balanced' this scenario it would suck sqrl nuts.  First they would add the spit v then the axis would want the 109f then the allies would want the spit 9 then the axis would want the 109g2.... on and on and on....

as it is now, the allies have a distinct disadvantage, but that lets people really enjoy a plane that kicked butt for a short time during ww2.  Otherwise the 202 is way outmatched, and underflown.

Maybe someday we will get a p40b vs oscar setup and we will all be even again.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2004, 05:08:39 PM »
The 202 is not way outmatched. :D

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2004, 05:23:28 PM »
?  not out matched in this scenario, but in the MA it is.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2004, 05:36:44 PM »
To me plane balance is a subjective thing.  Personally when I'm considering plane balance I look at the numbers, and then go by my own experiences either flying or fighting against in the MA and the CT.  

IMHO when do planes match up well?  When they are relatively close in performance.  Either directly matching up well in speed, manuverability, climb rate, etc.  Or when the differences are "compatible" Plane A is a little faster but turns a little worse and visa versa.  To me match ups like the P-40 vs the Oscar (as an example) would be extremely boring since the Oscar cannot hope to compete with the speed and dive of the P-40 and the P-40 cannot hope to compete with the Oscar in manuverability.  All this says to me  that the P40 pilot will BnZ untill the E states begin to equalize then he's goig to put the nose down and run away.  Doesn't sound like much fun to me.    Again IMHO the "good" matchups are the ones like the N1k vs. the F6F, P-51 vs. 190D9/109G10, to name a couple.  

These are my ideas of what "balanced" is but I can say with some certainty that someone will look at this and say "that Soulyss guy is out of his mind, who in the hell does he think he is?" I would wager that we as a group will never agree on what a "balanced" setup is.  

Now that I've rambled on and on I'll get off my soap box, I dunno what brought all this on. :)  Must be a slow day at work :D

Artik, I know we have done a fair amount of PTO stuff lately, look for a move back to the eto oh I'd say circa 1944 in the near future. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2004, 05:45:17 PM »
Originally posted by ergRTC
?  not out matched in this scenario, but in the MA it is.

That be the MA. It has plane model overkill. They may as well take out half of `em.

The CT should be the haven for whatever's left. Rotated and matched accordingly.

Which is why I always argue that how well a new potential plane model would work in the MA is a moot issue.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2004, 05:54:18 PM »
I'm not really going to get into what I think about another staff members setup in public but based on the few sorties I have had this week I've found the 202 vs. P40 matchup to be pretty enjoyable.  The P40 carries the advantage in firepower, while the 202 is a little more nimble but both planes seem close enough that one's strength doesn't overpower the other's weakness.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2004, 06:07:39 PM »
Originally posted by storch

Also the 202 isn't outmatched it's undergunned.  it can't kill much but it is an annoying little beast.  perhaps if we were allowed some additional time some of my victims would die from infection.

You're landing more kills in this planeset than you normally do.

Give it a rest. :D

Offline KG45

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2004, 06:10:42 PM »
what, no A6M5b?

bummer. :(
all you fascists, you're bound to lose...

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2004, 11:42:48 PM »
artik balanced like the current setup?  

I mean at that point - ballance between theatres not all the time PTO but also Europ, Estern Front ,N Afrika, Late War /Early  War

As I told I do like this setup, but I'd like to see another theatre at CT before this one comes.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/duxfordeagles
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2004, 06:22:45 AM »
Artik may be trying to say it's been a while since we've had a Western front setup. Other than the 1942BOB setup a few weeks ago he's right. Theres been no U.S. vs Luftwaffe setups in a while other than a P-40 here or there in Greece , or Russia.

There has been a long hard drought on PTO setups , and this is prob just a long overdue form of catchup. The LW vs RAF/USSAF setups will be plentifull again I'm sure.

I am very happy to see the new wave of setups though, that are based on the less is more theory. Limiting the fighter types on each side has brought out better scenarios IMO. It's still fun , plus it makes it more of a realistic experiance. Just because somebody hands you your ***  while in a P-40, you can't go jump it a spit and roar back to make yourself feel better. You have to learn to win with what you got.:aok

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2004, 06:43:31 AM »
Storch.
Honestly the 202's have been haunting me most of the week. If I get one on my 6 in a P-40 unless somebody clears me, I'm pretty much a goner. Maybe it's my limited bag of ACM tricks. They usually just wear down my energy , close to  killing range, and seperate me from my aircraft.

Actually I flew the 109E some over the weekend, and had a blast in it, used wisely its a killer in this setup. I havent flown the 202, something about it just doesnt interest me enough to take the time to fly one.

The Sopranos starts again in about two weeks on HBO, thats when I'll go Italian.:aok

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2004, 08:11:02 AM »
I was flying the 109 last night and had a ball.  Couldnt hit a damn thing, and trust me I had some great opportunities.  Its nice not having to worry about enemy planes chasing you down. ;)

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2004, 09:07:54 AM »
I was flying the 109 last night and had a ball.  Couldnt hit a damn thing, and trust me I had some great opportunities.  Its nice not having to worry about enemy planes chasing you down. ;)
Yeah I hear ya Erg, I'm 4 and 0 in the 109E. I think it took me 6 sorties to get 4 kills though. Lost my bi-focals.:D