Author Topic: Beta 16 Road, Track, Canal Problems  (Read 633 times)

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
Beta 16 Road, Track, Canal Problems
« on: March 01, 2004, 12:10:55 PM »
Howdy-

Got some problems with all the new roads, tracks, and canals around A1 in beta 16.  Hardware and video settings at the bottom.

1.  Mysterious Disappearances
Obviously, with my DOS slider setting, everything disappears at rather short distances.  However, the WAY in which the roads, tracks, and canals disappear IMHO could be a lot better.

Basically, it's all or nothing for me.  Once I'm close enough to a road, track, or canal to see it, I see ALL such features on the map, regardless of distance, for their full lengths.  When I get far enough away (about 1 mile tops) from the road, track, or canal for it to disappear, ALL such features disappear on the whole map.  I never have a situation where I can just see the closest part of the closest road, track, or canal, like in AH1.  Either I see the whole thing or I see nothing at all.

The above problem only happens for the new roads, tracks, and canals, however.  The original road sections near A1's town are always visible, pretty much regardless of distance.  I can follow the road out of town several miles.  While I'm doing this, all the new roads, tracks, and canals are visible all over the map.  Then turn off the road and go about 1 mile off to the side.  At that point, the new road close to me disappears, as do all the other new tracks and canals.  However, back in the distance, I can still see the old road around the town, as shown here:

I also have a problem with the range at which the new roads, tracks, and canals reappear when I get close to them again.  It works like ack shooting at you.  I have to get very close before I can see them at all, but once I see them they stay visible out to a longer range than when they first appeared.  This means I often see things like barges sailing along on dry ground, such as this:

2.  Backwards RR Overpass
The road bridge over the railroad track is drawn correctly when I'm close enough to see the actual bridge.  That is, the road goes over the track (although I think the bridge is too low for the train to fit under it....), as shown here:

However, when I get a little further away, the bridge itself disappears, leaving only the road and the track.  But the track is drawn on top of the road, as shown:

3.  Canal Bridge Problems
If there's a bridge where the road crosses the canal, I never see it, no matter how close I get.  It always looks perfectly flat there.

In addition, the part of the canal that goes under the assumed bridge is drawn on top of the barges.  See below:

4.  Canals and Tracks Drawn on Top
In many places, the canals are drawn on top of barges and the tracks on top of trains.  This seems to happen mostly where there's a slight hilltop in the canal or track, but it's very hard to tell.  Here are some pics that show these problems:

Here, you can just see the nose of the towboat appearing out from under the section of canal, right at the top of the gunsight glass.

This is the same barge and same place in the canal, just flying beside it at low alt.  From above, these barges are invisible below the canal, but from the side the height of the barges makes them visible.  It's just like how plane shadows cover up their wheels.

Here's a train having the same problem.

=========================================
P4/1.7
512MB RAM
ATI 128MB Radeon 9600 Pro
WinME
DirectX 9.0

104712,VideoVersion
1600,Width
1200,Height
32,ColorDebth
1,DeviceCnt
DVDVDVDVDVDVRADEON 9600 SERIES
0,MaxFPS
1,MipMapEnabled
0,DisablePalettizedTextures
0,PixelShaders
0,VertexShaders
0,MaxTexSize
7,OptionFlags
0.7,LOD
0.7,ObjSize
0.96,Gamma

Strange about the gamma, it shows 1.0 in the game on the clipboard

====================================

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 05:33:30 PM »
I noticed this before but it was around 3,000 ft AGL.  I thought it was a little low then, but now, after the new terrain download it occures at 500 ft AGL with all the in-game settings maxed out.  Ouch.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 10:58:21 AM »
Originally posted by Easyscor
I noticed this before but it was around 3,000 ft AGL.  I thought it was a little low then, but now, after the new terrain download it occures at 500 ft AGL with all the in-game settings maxed out.  Ouch.

Are you seeing all of the same problems I'm seeing?

Geez, if the new roads et al disappear that low with full details on, it makes me wonder why these things are even on the map.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 11:55:17 AM »
Originally posted by Bullethead
Are you seeing all of the same problems I'm seeing?

Geez, if the new roads et al disappear that low with full details on, it makes me wonder why these things are even on the map.
Have some faith in HT. :)

You did a much better job of checking into this stuff then I did but it was a shock for me.

Have you checked to see if player GVs show up after the trees and roads disappear?

If you can't see player GVs, then the upcoming GV battle this weekend will stay a GV battle and airplanes will be useless.  OTOH if they do show then it will be a simple matter to bomb the GVs if someone gets frustrated.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 12:42:03 PM »
Once again, this is BETA.  If there weren't things that were broke, then it'd be SHIPPED.  If you're seeing stuff like this after it ships and you're paying money for it, complain away.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 01:26:07 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Once again, this is BETA.  If there weren't things that were broke, then it'd be SHIPPED.  If you're seeing stuff like this after it ships and you're paying money for it, complain away.
I'm hoping it isn't "fixed" until after the GV battle Saturday if it hides the GVs.

Do you konw if the GVs are hidden or do they standout?
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 10:14:16 PM »
I haven't seen any player GVs from the air in AH2.  But that's because there's never been any around that I know of.  The only times I've seen GVs is when me and the only other person in the arena have agreed to have a tank battle.  Then they show up just fine from one GV to another.

Offline boxboy28

• Gold Member
      • http://none
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 09:09:09 AM »
i was flying the other night and there was a gv near one of the cities.........for the life of me i couldnt see him no matter how low i was! Only reason i knew he was there is he told me......never saw him but did see 1 tracer.
^"^Nazgul^"^    fly with the undead!
Jaxxo got nice tata's  and Lyric is Andre the giant with blond hair!

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 09:33:53 AM »
Thanks for the info boxboy, that's good to know.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001