Author Topic: ABC's of base capture.  (Read 982 times)

Offline Spitter

• Copper Member
ABC's of base capture.
« on: March 02, 2004, 10:46:15 AM »
Ok, newbie questions here (again).  I looked on some of the aces high links (found some good acm articles) but didn't find a good comprehensive primer about this.  If anyone has links, or the time to answer.... :)
1. What does it take to capture a base?  
2.  How does resupply work?
3. Is there a site with good descriptions of the different gvs?

Thanks again,
Spitter

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
ABC's of base capture.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 11:14:47 AM »
1. town has to have all buildings destroyed in it.  It also requires 10 troosp to be dropped within 1k of the map room or they wont run to map room and destory it.  

2.  Zone bases controll which bases get resuppliked.  If you posses a zone base that will fix the base that you own either truck convoys which follow roads into the town or field will come or river barges will come from the water.  (barges are only in big isle and festerma to my knowledge.)  Or you can u pa c47 from another base with "airfield cargo and drop it on the base that needs ot be resupplied either 800 feet above ground or higher  (wouldnt go too high or you'll have to wait forever) or do as i do and just land the c47 on the runway then drop the supplies once you're parked.

3.  http://www.telusplanet.net/~dsoder/models.htm       (discription of airplanes)

as for gv's there is no site to my knowledge but i will tell you briefly the common knowledge about gv's.

LVTa2- comes from cv with troops, gv supplies, or airfield cargo, slow, but can travel through water.

LVTa4- comes from cv with 100 rounds of 75mm HE, little armor, lots of ammo, can travel through water.

m3- comes from land, carries troops, airfield cargo, gv supplies,troops, fast with little armor.

m8- comes from land, carries somewhere around 80 rounds of HE or AP 37mm, fastest ground vehicle in game.  Little armor.

panzer4- comes from land, 80 some rounds of varies combonations of HE or AP rounds along with smoke rounds which can be used for cover.  Slow has good armor=.

Tiger- comes from land, 90 some roudns of 88mm in various combinations of AP and HE, thickest armor in the game

M16mgc- coems from land, AA gun quad 50 cals with a total of 4 thousand rounds, it has fast velocity with flat trajectory but lacks the punch that an ostwind has.  It's fast and has little armor.

Ostwind- comes from land, AA vehicle with 1 37mm with im not sure but ALOT of 37mm HE. Slow velocity and not to great of a trajectory but can take down most planes in one hit, It's slow but  has quite a bit of armor.

BTW- GV= ground vehicle

In tanks always try to keep your front faced towards your enemyand if you can try to hide most of you take behind a ridge and only have you turrert pokin out sot hat you're a smaller target.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
ABC's of base capture.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 11:20:24 AM »
#1  The "basics" of base capture, ie the absolute bare minimum that is required (in the Main Arena*)  to capture a field is all the buildings and structures in the "town" have to be destroyed and 10 troops have to landed in the map room in the town (the map room is a little mound/bunker looking thingie with a doorway in one side).  In the main arena a little more is required, supression of base defenses, all the steps required to make the above possible.  

*this is for the main arena, special events, or the Combat Theater sometimes (but not always) have slightly different requirements

#2 I am not sure how resupply works but if you look in the help file on HTC's website or get the downloadable file the resupply system should be explained there.  

#3 A squaddie of mine wrote a rather lengthy article on GV's and how to employ them but I don't have the link on me at the moment I will try to post it here tonight when I get home.  But here are some basics

M-3 troop carrier, halftrack, good speed, one .50 cal MG on top lightly armored (ie just about anything can kill you).

M-8  Armored car, extremely fast, has one 37mm gun in the turret can kill anything smaller than the Tiger at close range. One .50 cal MG for air defence. Lightly armored

M-16 Halftrack, anti-air platform 4 .50 cal MG's otherwise same pro's and con's as the M-3.

Ostwind or Flak Panzer, German anti-arcraft gun.  37mm cannon in open topped turret on a Panzer IV chasis.  More heavily armored than the halftracks but the open turret makes the gun vulnerable to at least .50 MG fire from above (maybe .30 cal, not sure).

Panzer IVH  Standard tank in AH.  75mm long barreled gun can kill anything else in the game under the right conditions (ie you gotta get pretty close to kill a Tiger).  Decent armor can shrug off MG fire and take several hits from heavier cannon.  Tiger will kill you at just about any range, other panzers will depend on where you hit them, or they hit you.  7.7mm MG for air defense

Tiger  Heavy tank, comes at a perk point cost.  88mm gun kills anything, period.  Heavy armor it is virtually immune to air attack (will take near a direct hit from a 1000lb bomb or more to do anything but damage a track, which will of course immobilize you).  Major drawback to the Tiger is it's turret traverse if very slow.  7.7mm MG on turret for air defense.

LVT's amphibious tracked vehicles usually launched  from the CV's (aircraft carriers) one is a troop carrier with .50 and .30 cal MG on board the other is a howitzer with a 75mm gun that only fires high explosive rounds (as opposed to Armor Piercing).  LVT's are lightly armored.  Very slow in the water (~10mph) faster on land.

*edit*

Ok I found the link.  The squad that has been hosting the file has been disbanded so I don't know how much longer the link will be viable.  But for the time being you can get the Complete Idiots Guide to Ground Warfare in Aces High here.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 11:51:37 AM by Soulyss »
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
ABC's of base capture.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 11:42:40 AM »
M-8 armoured cars are fast and tip over easily.  I kill myself in them more often than the enemy kills me.  I also get killed alot by the enemy in them, too.  To be honest, I don't see much use for them in AH; maybe for racing to a town to kill troops on the run but that's about it.

Hitting anything in an Ostwind almost requires you to have tracers turned on and use some sense of perception to judge the velocity of your target and the velocity of your shells.  I used to not be able to hit much with the Osti's gun and I used to pine for the flakpanzer modeled in Air Warrior (four .20mm cannons instead of a single slow-firing fragmentary shell) but after awhile I got the depth perception problem figured out.  Now if I miss its because the shell takes an irregular path.  Or because I happen to be extra bad on that particular day.

It is possible to shell a town in an Ostwind outside the range of the field ack there.  The Osti is the Swiss Army knife of Aces High - it can kill airplanes, towns, autoflak, manned guns, halftracks, convoys, and can eventually de-turret and de-track a panzer.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
ABC's of base capture.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 01:49:06 PM »
Soulyss...

Very nice, do you mind if I republish that primer. I'd hate to see it disappear?

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
ABC's of base capture.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 02:07:12 PM »
Originally posted by humble
Soulyss...

Very nice, do you mind if I republish that primer. I'd hate to see it disappear?

Yeah, that is a pretty cool little .pdf doc.  Even if AH1 goes away it'll be a nice little souvenir.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
ABC's of base capture.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 02:33:27 PM »
I'll ask my squaddie who wrote it all up, Emodin, I just helped him.  I'm sure he wouldn't mind, but I'd like to ask before I go and make promises.  :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
ABC's of base capture.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 03:16:11 PM »
soulyss you realize you typed what i did lol :)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
ABC's of base capture.
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 03:28:55 PM »
Yeah I'm at work, and I kinda have to type a sentence then go get somthing done, come back, etc.  I actually started before you did and finished somthing like 6 minutes after. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline emodin

• Copper Member
ABC's of base capture.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 09:48:27 PM »
Originally posted by humble
Soulyss...

Go for it, humble. :)

As it is, I have kind of been kicking around the idea of doing a revision (better pics, covering HTs/Osties, ect), and I'm sure when AH2 comes out I'll probably do another revision as well.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 09:51:28 PM by emodin »

Offline Spitter

• Copper Member
ABC's of base capture.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2004, 11:01:07 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the info guys.  I've discovered that I'm pretty much a target right now when I'm up flying.  
I understand I'l get better, but sometimes it gets frustrating, and I want to just jump in a vehicle and help that way.
So I have a couple more questions:
For resupply, you drop troops or supplies like bombs?  Select as a secondary weapon, open doors, all that?  
Resupplying from a gv works the same way?  

Thanks,
Spitter.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 10:19:55 AM by Spitter »