Author Topic: Kevin Tillman....former NFL star dead in War on Terror  (Read 816 times)

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
Pat Tillman....former NFL star dead in War on Terror
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2004, 08:05:38 PM »
Originally posted by rpm371
I guarentee you won't find 1 of those Gansta Bling Bling Trashmouth players that would leave the NFL to join up. Pat Tillman was a great American.

WTG, take any positive story, and run it right into the gutter. :aok

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2004, 08:06:14 PM »
It was Riddick Bowe who washed out. Not Holyfield

Offline Gnslngr

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2004, 10:51:06 PM »
Originally posted by Red Tail 444
It was Riddick Bowe who washed out. Not Holyfield

Well I cant remember.  I just recall thinking he'll never make it through phase 1.  Every DI on the depot would have his eyes out for him and want to take him to the pit.  Not to mention no combat boxing.  Its cool though that he made the attempt.  ALot of people want to become Marines but never get there.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2004, 11:26:55 PM »
On one sense this man had no more to lose than any other soldier. He lost just as much as every other KIA did.

The fact that he was a football player that left to join the Army is unusual but doesn't necessarily make him special.

The fact that he did that without ANY fanfare and to serve with his brother does make him special.

He didn't have to do it. No one forced this choice on him. There wasn't any extreme financial pressure or other circumstance that required this act.

His choice to serve his country and do something in return for what he had enjoyed makes him special. There certainly wasn't any other incentive for him to do that.

Those actions made him special particularly in that he put himself in harms way for others. He certainly is worthy of respect in the path he chose.

and RIP
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2004, 11:47:07 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Ya know... my hat's off to the guy and his family, but he's no more special than anyone else in the Army.

The fact that he had more to lose than the average guy doesn't diminish the fact that every other guy there is also risking EVERYTHING he has.

From Sen. John McCain-

When Pat made his choice to leave the NFL and became an Army Ranger, he declined requests for interviews because he viewed his decision as no more patriotic than that of his less fortunate, less renowned countrymen who loved our country enough to volunteer to defend her in a time of peril. It is that first lesson of patriotism that we should reaffirm in our own lives as we celebrate the courageous life and mourn the heroic death of this most honorable American.

I think Mr. Tillman knew he was just like everyone else.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2004, 07:26:34 AM »
No Gixer, get it right.  What makes this situation special is that he chose to serve his country rather than take the 'easy ticket' out.  There are those in the world that think Americans are only concerned with themselves and not with anything else but their own personal gratification, world be damned to get it.

He knew he wasn't more than the average soldier.

"When Pat made his choice to leave the NFL and became an Army Ranger, he declined requests for interviews because he viewed his decision as no more patriotic than that of his less fortunate, less renowned countrymen who loved our country enough to volunteer to defend her in a time of peril. It is that first lesson of patriotism that we should reaffirm in our own lives as we celebrate the courageous life and mourn the heroic death of this most honorable American."

-Sen. John McCain
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2004, 08:16:49 AM »
Gentlemen, we are getting a lot of double posts between the two threads, so I am going to go ahead and close this one.

Please continue in this thread: http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114802

Gixer, if you do not wish to post in the spirit of what this thread or the other thread is about, then keep your comments to yourself.  
Last warning for anyone wishing to make this anything other than what it is.  If you wish to denegrate anyone that has made the sacrifice for our country then take it to another board.  It is not welcome here.
As a former member of the Armed Forces and with a son in there now, any honor bestowed upon someone for making the sacrifice they have made is viewed as an honor to all who have made the sacrifice.  Most civilians would probably not be able to understand that.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com