Author Topic: Mouse as turret  (Read 317 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Mouse as turret
« on: March 21, 2004, 08:08:49 AM »
With most games, when you're in a turret, the mouse moves the gun directly (the mouse and turret become combined). Makes it easier to move the turret around etc.

For the bombers, this is ideal. But the current setup using the mouse and turrets whether it's a Panzer or a AA gun on a B-17 works poorly.  It's acting like a joystick - move it right, and the gun moves slowly right.  It should be a 1:1 mapping but it forces the mouse to act like a joystick.  Is that making sense?

For example, take BF1942. The turret moves with the mouse directly with speed and movement in a 1:1 ratio.  While I understand that larger bore guns on Panzers and Ships should move slowly, smaller caliber guns and turrets on aircraft should be directly mapped to the mouse axis 1:1.

Is this feasable?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Mouse as turret
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 10:56:10 AM »
I've had many problems with joystick gunnery in bombers while flying in formation.
My stick has an build-in rudder, the gunnery movements affects the rudder movements --> Plane starts turning while you don't want to.
But that's just a matter of calibration I guess.

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Mouse as turret
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 03:25:49 PM »
Originally posted by frank3
I've had many problems with joystick gunnery in bombers while flying in formation.
My stick has an build-in rudder, the gunnery movements affects the rudder movements --> Plane starts turning while you don't want to.
But that's just a matter of calibration I guess.

Shame there isn't a toggle or an option so you can use a,s,d instead of the twisty stick for turning in the gunner pos.

I know you can temperary disable the rudder on the stick, but it takes alot of time and effect to do that its not really worth it.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Mouse as turret
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 10:37:33 PM »
As an option, fine.

But please, please not as a replacement.  My stick works fine for turret control and I don't want to have to constantly switch between joystic and mouse with my right hand.

AH isn't pr0n, ya know. ;)
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Mouse as turret
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 07:57:17 AM »
Frank

Set your deadband higher on your ruddder.

Keep inching it up in slow increments until you no longer turn it on accidently by moving the stick around.

You'll still have rudder, but you'll need to crank the stick over farther. Won't happen accidentaly.

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Mouse as turret
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 10:54:22 AM »
what about my problem, where when i try to do something other than a full bank in a bomber and then try to turn the gun, the plane flops about making it near impossible to aim.