Author Topic: XP,win98SE,HD problems  (Read 351 times)

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
XP,win98SE,HD problems
« on: March 25, 2004, 12:06:51 PM »
I have a 102 gig HD already formatted in NTFS, and it had XP pro on it. I HATE XP! and my analog CH products don't work in XP. Also I have some very important Work programs that also won't work in XP. So I reformatted the drive, and it shows 102 GIG but 67 Megs are in use. I want to put Win98SE back on the drive. Isn't that Fat32? What do i need to do? I also have XP home edition ( upgrade). The XP pro was already on the drive, so once removed I no longer have the program.

Any advice?

How do I find if there is another partition on this drive?
How would you suggest I go about what I want to do, which is using the drive as my primary C: drive but with Win98SE or A clean XP Home edition on a CLEAN HD?

thanks in advance

NUTTZ

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
XP,win98SE,HD problems
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 01:21:55 PM »
Yo,
Easiest way i can think of is .....

Borrow/beg a pc m8 for a lend of partition magic or search for FREE partitioners/boot progs  can't rem names offhand

Format whole as Fat32, then make xp partition in NTFS and generally make sure after that the NTFS partition is Active let sys (say win98se reboot) and allow pm or alike to do the dirty deeds n install xp or whatever os ya wanted

Hope this helps

You can use FDisk etc but i find it a ball-acher so went for partition magic 8 which included bootmagic and hd backup

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
XP,win98SE,HD problems
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 01:36:43 PM »
Update

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html

http://www.ranish.com/part/

Seems these will do Fat32 partitions no NTFS though  BUT.....

Sort parts n install both 1st os (98se etc) and install XP on Fat32 also

Once ya dualboots all sorted just search for converting fat32 to ntfs on google or if needed i will find a link n post

Only takes a run command to do so it's real fast n easy ;)

ok here's instructions and link to fat32 to ntfs

Q: Is it possible to convert a FAT32 Hard Drive to NTFS without losing all data on the drive? I like to change from FAT32 to NTFS, my operating system is Windows XP PRO, how can I do that? Without the lost of my programs?
A: Standard Windows utility that is called CONVERT serves this purpose

Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

C:\> CONVERT  C:  /fs:ntfs

Where C: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

After machine re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without of data loss.
copyright of ntfs.com btw   now the link

http://www.ntfs.com/quest3.htm

any probs lemme know
Also shout if ya need a boot manager or not if ya stick using windose own ;)

Forgot to say install oldest win os 1st eg win98se then add second win os eg xp
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 12:41:45 AM by Defiance »

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
XP,win98SE,HD problems
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 03:36:53 PM »
While you may love your gameport sticks like I did, you might face the fact that gameports are all but gone at this point. New PCs don't come with them and most major stick manufacturers are ceasing or have ceased production of gameport products. Even CH is in this group.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
XP,win98SE,HD problems
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 06:06:23 PM »
Ya, I know but i have many extra ones to use as parts so i'm good for awhile. It's not really the money thing, I don't see A stick, throttle, peddal combo I like. the old CH fighterpro is just fine for me, I'm a meat and potatoe guy, all them extra buttons just confuses the hell outta me and i'm always bailing by accident, thats AFTER I spend a month trying to configure the stuff so it works the way I like. I tried them all except the Cougar.

gave em all away and still use my CH analog crap, but it's like an old blanket ( not that i suck my thumb anymore):)

BTW: I have plenty of PC's with 98 so I got it fixed. thanks for all the help from you guys.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by NHawk
While you may love your gameport sticks like I did, you might face the fact that gameports are all but gone at this point. New PCs don't come with them and most major stick manufacturers are ceasing or have ceased production of gameport products. Even CH is in this group.

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
XP,win98SE,HD problems
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 11:21:28 AM »
dont worry longhorn will be out soon then you will have something to REAKKY whine about.......Im starting already
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!