Author Topic: Fastest 400 m swimmer in the world not allowed to swim at the olympics  (Read 632 times)

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
What exactly is the purpose of an Olympic qualifying meet? I thought it was to identify the fastest swimmers in your country.

Thorpe disqualified

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Fastest 400 m swimmer in the world not allowed to swim at the olympics
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 02:19:24 PM »
That sux for Thorpe, and for his competitors.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 02:19:58 PM »
Obviously the Olympic spirit is about who can follow bureaucratic rules the best.  I feel sorry for Thorpe... everyone makes mistakes.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 02:36:43 PM »
You make a mistake like that and accept the consequences. If you jumpo the green on a drag race you lose. If you violate the rules then deal with it. Sad that he can't make it but that is the way the sport is governed.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 02:53:01 PM »
1948 Harrison Dillard was the world record holder in the 120 high hurdles (110 meter). He fell in the trials and didn't qualify. He finished a close 3rd however in the 100 meter dash trials and went to London. He upset the field in the 100 and captured the gold.

The Olympics are full of these stories. Thorpe may end up the hero yet.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 04:40:24 PM »
Originally posted by Tarmac
Obviously the Olympic spirit is about who can follow bureaucratic rules the best.  I feel sorry for Thorpe... everyone makes mistakes.

Beaucratic Rules?!? Sheeesh, he FALSE STARTED!!! In track you're allowed 1 false start, then disqualified if you false start again- it happens all the time. Nothing beaucratic about it- one false start in swimming and you're gone, even if you ARE the best.

And you feel SORRY for this guy??? WHY??? He's tall, blonde and good looking. He's got Olympic gold medals. He's set up financially for life and he has his choice of any woman in Australia! You feel bad because he'll only get SIX medals this Olympics instead of SEVEN??

:rolleyes:

If you have the need to feel sorry for someone then feel sorry for me- I can barely swim, I'm short, fat and middleaged, I'll labor my entire life and not even my wife will have sex with me.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2004, 05:52:46 PM »
You are not allowed even one false start in olymic swimming? Surrely he had allready done one and was disqualified for his second...

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 06:19:39 PM »
Wow that is anus, you'd think they cut the guy some slack no?

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2004, 06:37:27 PM »
Originally posted by Torque

If the guy needs to be "cut some slack" then he's in the wrong Olympics. He should try out for the Special Olympics- everybody gets a medal there.

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2004, 06:54:04 PM »
"If you have the need to feel sorry for someone then feel sorry for me- I can barely swim, I'm short, fat and middleaged, I'll labor my entire life and not even my wife will have sex with me."

Should i email you now with letters of empathy on a regular basis, or just a few nights out at sHooters?

But you're probably right aboot this.....i was unware that he was a Greek God with a ten foot noodle.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004, 09:08:11 AM »
Thorpe-edo still competing in the other distances, right?

Best of luck to the unknown Australian who's going to the Olympics.  He's going to be living his dream.  He could be Oz's John Capel.*

*John Capel was a track sprinter from the University of Florida who qualified for the Olympics after Maurice Green and Michael Johnson both pulled out of the race with injuries.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2004, 10:55:38 AM »

Should i email you now with letters of empathy on a regular basis, or just a few nights out at sHooters?

But you're probably right aboot this.....i was unware that he was a Greek God with a ten foot noodle.

Save your stamps, if I need sympathy I'll look it up in the dictionary- it's right between "s**t" and "syphilis."  

I didn't notice the size of the bulge in his Speedo, so I'll take your word for it on the size of his package.
;)

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2004, 11:45:31 AM »
Originally posted by Pongo
You are not allowed even one false start in olymic swimming? Surrely he had allready done one and was disqualified for his second...

If it is governed the same manner as track and field, then there is only one false start per heat. The next one who jumps, for any reason other than fan distraction, is DQ'd. I was DQ'd twice in my career for false starts and it sucks, but that's life.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2004, 01:07:50 PM »

wrong sport, wrong country (ice skating, Russia)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2004, 02:01:13 PM »
Kind of like taking the best football quaterback out of the Superbowl because he missed curfew.