Author Topic: AH Weapons Effects on Aircraft  (Read 846 times)

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
AH Weapons Effects on Aircraft
« on: March 29, 2004, 06:30:29 AM »
"Gunnery" might be the wrong term, but I just don't get it.

IL-2 Forgotten Battles vs. AH, gunnery.

There is such a huge gap. Why? You'd have to play each alot to post, so spare me the fanboy obvious.

If you have played each for some time, what do you think?

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 09:26:22 AM »
Has Il-2 moved away from taking 5-10 20mm hits to down a fighter?  It's something that always soured me to the game and I never went back.

I honestly don't think there's an issue with AH gunnery/damage model.  Most of the real problems come from gameplay.  I seriously doubt planes followed other planes around at 1000 yards plinking away until they were shot down.  It's more a matter of gameplay perverting realism.  Combine that with the fact that people will force shots more often, get more practice and generally become more proficient than anyone in WW2... and you get AH Gunnery.

The only option is to intentionally dumb down gunnery to make up for these things.  Make it so people are only getting kills the way pilots with much less experience in WW2 were getting them.

MiniD

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 10:20:09 AM »
Originally posted by Mini D
The only option is to intentionally dumb down gunnery to make up for these things.  Make it so people are only getting kills the way pilots with much less experience in WW2 were getting them.

Like Il2 :)

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Re: AH Weapons Effects on Aircraft
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 11:35:44 AM »
Originally posted by Creamo
"Gunnery" might be the wrong term, but I just don't get it.

IL-2 Forgotten Battles vs. AH, gunnery.

There is such a huge gap. Why? You'd have to play each alot to post, so spare me the fanboy obvious.

If you have played each for some time, what do you think?

FB IL2 - AEP difficult to get hits, 2-3 20mm set a plane on fire, 30mm is king, harmonise at 150 meters.

AH - long way to go - totally unrealistic gunnery, 1100 feet for .50 browning??? 1 ping Hispano's??? it needs fixing.....

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: AH Weapons Effects on Aircraft
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 01:12:21 PM »
Originally posted by _Schadenfreude_
FB IL2 - AEP difficult to get hits, 2-3 20mm set a plane on fire, 30mm is king, harmonise at 150 meters.

AH - long way to go - totally unrealistic gunnery, 1100 feet for .50 browning??? 1 ping Hispano's??? it needs fixing.....

Not sure if you are saying that 1100 feet is a lot but here is what I know about the browning.

Maximum range: 4.22 miles (6.8 kilometers)
Maximum effective range: is 1,830 meters

1100 feet < 400M
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline -MZ-

• Nickel Member
Re: AH Weapons Effects on Aircraft
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 01:53:29 PM »
All damage models in games are subjective.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 01:57:56 PM »
I honestly don't think there's an issue with AH gunnery/damage model. Most of the real problems come from gameplay. I seriously doubt planes followed other planes around at 1000 yards plinking away until they were shot down. It's more a matter of gameplay perverting realism. Combine that with the fact that people will force shots more often, get more practice and generally become more proficient than anyone in WW2... and you get AH Gunnery.

Clearly that's not the case of FB/AEP. The "more proficient than real life pilots" theory is very wrong imo.

They've got their share of dweebs and forced gameplay. They've also got their share of excellent marksmen and experienced pilots. Heck, some of the good pilots in FB/AEP are also AH pilots with plenty of experience such as Batz, Glasses, Hristo etc etc..

Gameplay may be one of the reasons, but it applies to both games, not only AH. Clearly there is something different at work.

* Complexity of the DM(external and internal)
* Average gunnery ranges
* Existence of Ammo Counters

Those 3 are the key factors in what makes FB/AEP gunnery and AH gunnery so different. Those 3 factors are also interlinked.

The "more proficient" guys in FB/AEP, can hit out to 400~500 meters. However, even some of the best marksmen have trouble in actually downing an enemy plane when they are at those ranges - they may seriously damage the enemy plane so it slows down,  but they won't be able to just snap a wing off from 500m. If the enemy slows down, they catch up, and deal the death blow at close ranges. Very different from AH - how many people feel safe when they have a N1K2 or a Spit9 or a P-51 behind them at 500 yards?

Considering historic killing distances were mentioned between 0m~200m for real life, 400~500m hitting distance for virtual pilots with more experience and comfortable environment makes sense.

A skilled and experienced gamer in FB/AEP is able to consistently hit the target at roughly twice as longer than realistic range, but he still needs to go in close to kill something - that really makes sense.

The lethal range where one may expect certain kills - 400~500 yards average, 600~700yards easily for experienced pilots, and 800~1k yards+ in lucky shots..? Sorry, it definately doesn't make sense. I got used to the fact, I can have fun with how it is, but still, it don't make sense.

Experience alone accounting for a killing range some 4~5 times longer than the real accounts? That's pushing it a bit too far.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 02:26:01 PM »
You missed my point completely kweassa.

The gunnery in AH seems accurate.  The reality is that accuracy is irrelevant in terms of "realism".  I guarantee you would not be all too comfortable in an aluminum aircraft with 6 .50's being fired 600 yards away... especially by someone that was willing to follow you to the ends of the earth to kill you without regard for their own survival.  Basically, you give me 2400 rounds and I'm going to put a few in anything within 1000 yards upon occassion.... 600 yards upon even more frequent occasion.  That is reality.

The damage model isn't even subjective.  It's fabricated an unrealistic in both sims.  Wether it's "OK... I've been hit 8 times and that equates to 62% damage in that component resulting in this effect to flight" or "I'd better avoid getting hit once because I have no idea of the impact"... you are not being realistic.

The downright silly aspect of flight sims is the "I should be able to take a few rounds" justification.  What you should or shouldn't be able to take is irrelevant.  It's how much you fear each and every bullet flying from a gun barrel that matters.

I think the gun accuracy/damage model that forces the fight to within 300 yards is less realistic than an accuracy/damage model that tends to keep the fights farther out.  The fact that people eventually get good at those distance is simply a matter of hands on experience.

MiniD

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 02:31:44 PM »
This same discussions had gone on since IL2/FB/AEP came out, I have played it much more then AH over the past few years and hit % (get sturmlog) is slightly higher then my AH average.

It never took it takes 5-20 mh151/20mm hits to bring a fighter down in AH. Why would this be a problem in FB?

What matters in FB/AEP is hit quality, (where you hit). In AH all contribute equally to damage. Its sometimes not enough just to have a bad guy in your sites you actually have to aim. Take an IL2 for instance, the oil cooler underneath takes 2 or 3 hits to cause a fire. Where simply firing from dead 6 into the fuselage will cause you to waste ammo.

In FB/AEP effective kill range is inside 200m where its been my experience its around 400 yrds for mg151.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2004, 03:52:31 PM »
Numbers in AH are counted in yards.

1100 feet is a lot less then 1100 yards.

But anyway, the question isn't "Can the .50 reach that far?"

It's, "How much energy does a .50 have at that range?"
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004, 03:55:40 PM »
Creamo,
I think the first thing is to establish what WW2 air to air gunnery was.
Most of us know that few kills happend at extended ranges. In fact most pilots were not any danger to an enemy that knew they were there. As an evading enemy  would require deflection shooting to hit and most where incapable of it. I have read a quote from one WW2 Canadian spit and hurricane ace that says deflection shooting is impossible without gyro gunsights with radar ranging  and that pilots that say they were deflection shooting are lieing! This guy had 11 kills I think.

Yet another Canadian Ace shot down enemies with 600 yard short burst deflection shots in front of many witnesses. Used as few as 7 rounds per gun to get kills.

Top german aces got 5 kill sortis with the 120 20mm rounds in a 109F4.

So the disparity between what one pilot(or most pilots) and top pilots experianced in WW2 gunnery is huge.

So for gunnery acccuracy which game has it better.
I think that for what the average good pilot could accomplish Il2 has it better.  

Damage is another issue entirely.
Il2 planes require either a critical hit(engine or pilot) to get any kind of quick kill. It can certainly be done. But mearly parking on a guys 6 at 200 yards and hitting him with 6 20mm usually wont do it. In the new expansion I droped the whole ammo load of a he162 into a C47 from the 6 oclock..and it never went down. I was able to repeat this several times...Its like 151/20s are 7.92mm
One mk108 brings it down though...

To me that is obviosly incorrect.

In Il2 your almost allways forced into an attrition model and some of the planes..especialy when flown by AI take alot of attrition. They are like the drones in Aces High Stand alone.

In Aces high..if you give someone a good shot at you with cannons you can expect to be crippled or killed. I think that is much more in line with my reading on WW2.  with 2-4 20mm you didnt have to attrite the enemy. If you landed a solid shot he was gone.  With 1 20mm. Your salvo alone wouldnt bring him down. You had to place your shot or get lucky or hit him a few times..nothing like I have seen in Il2 though.

So for damage resolution. Although AH is much more simplistic I think...the result is more realistic.

So I think especialy at long range..AHs targeting is much to easy. I think that it has the damage model feeling right.

At close range 150-350 the targeting is very well done in Il2. At ranges beyond 500 it is impossible it seems. That is not correct either..(but better then the AH result)

Critical hit resolution is great in IL2. But it almost ignores anything but criticals. AH Criticals are probably too light.. but normal type hits seem to be just deadly enough..

I have been flying both games since introduction..

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2004, 07:25:01 PM »
Well, I guess I'm torn on the subject. The problem for me is there is such a diffrence that playing Il-2 sure doesn't help your AH gameplay, I'm sure of that. It's like playing tackle football and then getting into a game of flag. Your used to roughing it up, then get within arms reach and snap, out comes the flag your down. Get with 500 of a con in AH and you can go away in a big hurry. So now every tactic changes. How far to extend, wether to turn or not, when to shoot, when not to shoot to save your clip, etc... Still not sure what I like better, what might be more realistic, or if realism has **** to do with anything because it's all about gameplay in the end.  It's just a huge gap.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2004, 08:09:35 PM »
Its just really complex.
But your right. AH is like guided missles compared to Il2. Its hard to believe they are trying to simulate the same thing.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2004, 01:10:39 AM »
Damage is another issue entirely.
Il2 planes require either a critical hit(engine or pilot) to get any kind of quick kill. It can certainly be done. But mearly parking on a guys 6 at 200 yards and hitting him with 6 20mm usually wont do it. In the new expansion I droped the whole ammo load of a he162 into a C47 from the 6 oclock..and it never went down. I was able to repeat this several times...Its like 151/20s are 7.92mm
One mk108 brings it down though...

That's where the "quality of hit" factor comes in. FB/AEP is impressive, but even it has its limits in visual quality. Due to the limitations of graphical representation, the visually exploding 20mm rounds may not be what is really happening at all.

In real life, you'd see the difference between a HE blast blowing up inside after it is well embedded(a large explosion with smoke, small fire and shrapnel, debris flying all over the surface), and an HE shell prematurely detonating/barely grazing the surface(which you would see an explosion and some smoke, but only a small hole about the size of two fists would be formed.)

The difference is shown in some of the recent threads where people asked for damage pictures - an embedded, and then perfectly detonated blast will blow a large chunk out of the structure. A prematurely detonated, or poor quality of hit shells will make only a small hole.

Thus, the difference is noticeable in where you hit what in which circumstances - parking on somebody's direct six produces a high probability of poor quality shots due to the thin profile of the wing and its trailing edges. It's like shooting the edges of a table from the sides and expecting it to break up. Especially with something like the Fw190 with four cannons spread apart in the wings, unless the convergence is right, surprisingly large amounts of shots result in poor quality shots.

Now, the same sort of shots in AH are registered as perfectly good hits, and it will bring down a plane no matter what. In FB/AEP, they are registered as only as much as they are worth.

In a simple test, I sort of recreated the event of Saburo Sakai and the C-47. I took up a A6M2 and did some quick target practices and the result was nothing unsatisfatory.

If I open up from too far, it would take as many as 9~10 20mms on the wings to make the C-47 go down. If I drive closer and concentrate my shots on the tail section, the C-47 structure holds, but it's loses control of the plane and plummets down to earth gradually. If I aim for the engines with the MGs, I can set all of them on fire one by one - a fire erupts, the C-47 pilot engages fire-extinguishers. And then I hit some more, and finally the fuel ignites and starts to burn.

Another confusion comes from this; knowing the above fact, some people will prefer to aim for the rear fuselage rather than the wing. They see multiple sparks and explosions fly but see the target is still up, and immediately the reaction becomes negative.

Make a track and analyze the shots one has fired with the "arcade=1" option on, and one immediately notices that the multiple volley of 20mms in fact, did not land on any concentrated area. 1~2 shots hit the rudder, some 1~2 other shots land on the horizontal stabs. Only 1~2 shots really "land" on the rear fuselage, making its way through the protruding obstacles and not getting snagged by it.

The end result is, the target plane loses a lot of rudder authority, may lose partial or total elevator control, loses top speed due to the holes drilled at the rear fuselage, and loses overall stability of the plane. In fact, in many cases such a hit locks the target plane into a gradual decline which will eventually force the pilot to bail out - but the pilot with the AH mindset will refuse to understand that. He saw some 5~8 bursts on the plane. If it does not go down with it's rear end snapped off, and grants him a kill immediately .. he becomes disappointed.

The best results are achieved with slight deflection. A single burst into the engine block sets a lot of planes on fire. A single burst into the flat of the wingroot, also sets a lot of fire. There are as much countering accounts as each "strange incidences" are brought up, and it effectively boils down to the assumption that heck, we're not really as good as we'd like to think we are.

The crackshot short burst kills are possible. There was this very same sort of debate in FB/AEP, which tempted me to do series of tests of my own. In no occasion will a plane withstand more than 5~6 hits to a single concentrated area. Only when the shots are spread all over, the plane "miraculously" holds.

As said, even a fragile plane like the Bf109 which will lose some sort of control the moment a 50cal armed plane even sneezes at it, will withstand upto some 10~15, even 20  20mm hits depending how cooky the hits landed. It's those kind of "miracles" which P-47 pilots encountered, and it's that much rare in FB/AEP.

To me, this whole analogy of basing the assumption towards truth to only AH, and then working from there, drawing out a conclusion which emphasizes the "gameyness" of FB/AEP, is a totally reversed logic.

IMO we really should get used to thinking that landing the 10~12 kill sorties in AH MA is not because we're all that better than WW2 pilots. Our game is just easier to get kills in.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2004, 09:53:45 AM »
As I said. the critical hit dynamic in Il2 is awsome.
Also like I said.  Filling a C47 with 7.7 and it not going down is one thing. Filling it with mg151/20 rounds and it not going down is another. The Attrition model is flawed or the modleing of a 151/20 round is flawed.
But yes if you can call your shots  the game is great.
Anyone can see this. If you slow the game down enough any of us can shoot like Buzz Beurling.  It is quite easy to get 8 kills in a 109F2 in a campaign on full realistic gunnery if you slow the game  down right before your shots.
Its like the matrix!