Author Topic: The U.S. ensured inspectors came back to Iraq, not the UN  (Read 610 times)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
The U.S. ensured inspectors came back to Iraq, not the UN
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2004, 11:47:45 AM »
I don't think saddam would have developed his own nukes within his lifetime because he was way to greedy and developing nukes are expencive and fairly easy to trace. However...neither me or any of you have a clue as to what he had planned, but we may find out if he tells the truth in prison.

If a nation whoever it is decides to invade a nation that has nukes and a way to deliver them to his neighbours or eveen further away then the invading nation is also in part responsible for the thousands that would die if the invaded nation would start launching nukes. No nation would dare do this.....not even USA.

Do you belive the US would invade a country with nukes without making damn sure that you can prevent them from using nukes?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2004, 11:56:54 AM »
Yes, Nils. If we had solid proof that Saddam had even one nuke scud or even a better missle, we would have acted quickly, decisively and eliminated the threat. If Israel didn't beat us to it. Surgical strikes - followed by occupation (in our case).

It's not like invading China or Russia, my friend.

Nuclear non-proliferation amongst the Arab states is a good thing. Trust me.

As it is, the scenario turned out better. Pre-emptive before he could develop them.

Saddam being too greedy to want to develop a nuke? :lol

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2004, 12:02:10 PM »
So you think your goverment would risk the lives of thousands?

I find it more likley that he would try to buy second hand nukes.

Yes i think he was to greedy to make his own nukes.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2004, 12:19:01 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
As we also like pointing out, nothing is ever simply black or white.

I never claimed that nor will I ever.  MOST things are black and white.  It's up to your convictions to decide what is what.  I think Qaddafy saw the writing on the wall and capitulated.  Whether you think it was something else influencing his decision is, of course, your prerogative.  Funny thing is, if you have a take on an issue, you can search the web and find anything that will support your view.  The truth is always sandwiched between two rocks labelled "common" and "sense".
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2004, 01:16:25 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen10
So you think your goverment would risk the lives of thousands?

I find it more likley that he would try to buy second hand nukes.

Yes i think he was to greedy to make his own nukes.

Do you think allowing Saddam Hussain to retain possession of a nuclear missle wouldn't be a greater risk? It WOULD have been used. Saddam isn't a world champion poker player but he IS a megalomaniac.

The only difference in the scenario is that the UN wouldn't have been involved at all. Sometime in the early morning hours with the skies still dark over Baghdad, there would have been a rather large conventional explosion and Saddam would have lost his toy.

As far as greed was concerned ... there's enough evidence to prove that he spent more than enough in his R&D programs to finance a few more palaces, yachts and whatnot.

Granted, his R&D did center on projects that were easier for him to produce - delivery systems, chemical and biological weapons - but nuclear was certainly on his mind, as well.

http://www.fas.org/irp/cia/product/dci020504.html

As it is, he got cagey and tried to bluff the UN and he failed. You should be glad of this and not enraged at "the huge injustice" done him. :lol

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2004, 01:30:24 PM »
And how would you be sure that a conventional explosion vould take out his toy like magic? The intelligence that the coaliton has gathered so far regarding his "toys" has been wrong? For the "surgical" strikes to work it needs a precise target. During GW1 the coalition could not even find all the scuds he had hidden around the desert.

Although i bet some here would argue that carpet bombing Iraq and turn it into a parkinglot would take care of the problem I don't :D

To clarify why i think saddam is to greedy to develope his own nukes:

If he would do that then he would guarantee that the world would retain the sanctions against him and his oil export and by doing that he would not get the $$$ that he is very fond of. In addition to that comes the R&D cost + all the parts and equipment + missiles etc etc.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2004, 03:12:59 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen10

If he would do that then he would guarantee that the world would retain the sanctions against him and his oil export and by doing that he would not get the $$$ that he is very fond of. In addition to that comes the R&D cost + all the parts and equipment + missiles etc etc.

As it is, he was smart enough to avoid all that by cooperating fully with the UN inspectors thus allowing him to continue on as the dictator of Iraq. Don't go pretending he was rational in any degree.  ;)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2004, 03:26:14 PM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
I think Qaddafy saw the writing on the wall and capitulated.  

Post hoc ergo prompter hoc?

So much for common sense.
sand

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2004, 03:31:34 PM »
Post hoc ergo prompter hoc?

So much for common sense.

There was nothing coincidental about his action.  It was common sense.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2004, 03:33:49 PM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
There was nothing coincidental about his action.  It was common sense.

Sure thing there, sparky. Believe what you want.

The fact that Mr. Gadaffi was willing to give up his WMD programmes and open facilities to inspection four years ago does not detract from the Bush administration's achievement in securing Libya's nuclear disarmament. However, in doing so, Mr. Bush completed a diplomatic game plan initiated by Mr. Clinton. The issue here, however, is not credit. Rather, it is whether Mr. Gadaffi gave up his WMD programmes because Mr. Hussein was toppled, as Mr. Bush now claims. As the record shows, Libyan disarmament did not require a war in Iraq.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 03:36:01 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2004, 03:36:26 PM »
Sure thing there, sparky. Believe what you want.

Gee, thanks Dad.  I couldn't ever think without your "multiple shades of gray" insight.

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis
exponebantur ad necem.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2004, 03:40:32 PM »
First you call me, Dad. Then you call me a child. Make up your mind, sport.
sand

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2004, 03:45:46 PM »
Remember now, all things aren't black and white.  One was literal, one was metaphorical.