Author Topic: Two Suggestions regarding sun effects and tracers  (Read 541 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Two Suggestions regarding sun effects and tracers
« on: April 05, 2004, 06:32:39 PM »
I'd like to make a couple of suggestions on the sun effects and tracers. It's been mentioned before, but I think it's worthwhile to mention again, so I hope HTC development team isn't too offended if this is already on the "to-do" list .. :)

The left part of the pic is an offline drone as it directly passes between my pilot and the sun. The pilot is looking almost directly at the sun, thus the whole screen is "whitened out" in a bright glare.. but unfortunately, the drone and icon remain so very clearly visible.

The sun effect is beautiful and awesome, but as it is, it merely remains a cosmetic feature without much tactical value - it's only a slight discomfort for the pilot to stare at the sun, and detection of enemy position is very easy.

The right part of the pic is my suggestion. The opacity of icon/drone part has been adjusted to 30% - you can see that it is possible to see the icon and the drone, but it is very transparent, and a careless observation actually may let it go unnoticed. IMO, this will increase the tactical value of the sun greatly, adding to the fun of the game.

My suggestion is: how about changing the opacity of the rendered plane/icon from between about 20~100%, according to the intensity of the sun glare? If the sun glare is weak, nothing but a bit strong ambient light, the opacity could be like 60~80% which presents no problem for the pilot.. but if the enemy plane/icon is in the near vicinity of the sun, which requires the pilot to look at the general direction of the sun and blinding him, the opacity should be set at 20~30%...?

My second suggestion is this:

Fortunately, I still have a picture of the Beta3 tracers. The upper part of the pic is the Beta3 tracer round, the under part is the current tracer round. For those who haven't seen Beta3 tracers, please compare the differences.

I'm not sure if Beta3 tracer colors were intended, or an accidental by product of something, but it looked incredibly cool. You can compare by the picture that the current tracer color is pretty much bland, while the Beta3 tracers have a bright white color which almost seems to be illuminated.

The white tracer rounds used to give the sensation of a real burning metal round flying through the air.

Please please please, can we have the old Beta3 white tracer color back? The current tracer trail is excellent - straight lines for MGs, spirals for cannon rounds.. it'd be even better with the bright white Beta3 tracer round.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 07:36:20 PM »
I have to agree with this also in the sun effects area. When you move your "pilot" perspective around in the cockpit you will see the sun "glare" change from nothing to the "glare" when the sun is "hidden" behind the canopy frames. This is something I have noticed a bit within the F4U-1 aircraft in the game and have some screenshots of somewhere but I couldn't locate them for this thread. If I find them I will post them in this thread.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 11:55:42 PM »
nice suggestions Kweassa....

i remember those beta 3 tracer rounds....very nice effect indeed. maybe not quite so strong or as many, wasn't it like every 4th round or so (in real life)? or at least have the round glowing with the tracer smoke to match that particular round. in other words, if the round is has a smoke trace, then give it a glowing tracer round also.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 01:13:26 AM »
Don't large caliber rounds make more noticeable tracers as well?  Shouldn't panzer-size rounds have a less visible trail and a much brighter round glow, and Ostwinds' 37mm a thick trail in addition to a bright tracer?
Making them glow more or less permanently would do this easily.

It'd also be cool to have, if not historical tracer colors, then some tracer colors to choose from in the settings.
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106309

No photoshop to illustrate, sorry.  Kweassa should know what I mean.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 01:15:36 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 05:26:22 PM »
The beta 3 tracers only looked that way because the graphics were still screwed up.

The tank rounds made the same tracers, only larger. What you saw was the graphic changing to a pair of white rectangles crossing over each other perpendicularly. As the tracer round traveled further away, the rectangle cross would get progressively smaller until it went out of view.

The MG tracers looked bigger and brighter at distance because of the pixel size of the white rectangles.

Now that HT has the graphics corrected, I doubt we'll see the tracer style change as it gets further away.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 05:54:47 PM »
Beta 3 tracers were a bug, but I'll admit that I liked them that way too.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 06:49:34 PM »
Any way to make them like that again Pyro without making it a bug? :)

As for the sun, I agree, but would like to take it a step further, completely remove the icon when a plane is within a certain arc of the sun.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline REVGST

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 07:39:21 PM »
Beta 3 tracers all  the way!!

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 08:04:38 PM »
a happy little accident as bob ross would say
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 09:44:26 PM »
BTW

A BIG NO to beta 3 style tracers.

You can see the current tracers just fine in the dark, and they are hard to see in the full sunlight... hmm.. realism.. keep it please.

Just to clarify, look at that screen-shot. Those tracers are at a range of over 400 yards easy, probably closer to 600 or 700, and that is in broad daylight... There is no way a tracer round is that bright at that distance.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 09:47:08 PM by Midnight »

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 10:47:17 PM »
im not the only one who uses areo's default illuminated gunsight

IMHO it should be HTC's default gunsight.

it is really good. all you need too.

(no im not a fan of the mathman "dot" sorry but i need the horizon line)
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 11:20:48 PM »
i think the current tracers in the latest beta are more realistic looking.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 01:16:01 AM »
so what's all the tracers you see in nighttime footage, what's with tracers seen from afar in FB?

Did WW2 tank turret rounds not glow as much as beta3 tracers did?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 01:18:14 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline REVGST

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 11:30:07 AM »
Hey JB, can you post where we can get that gunsight please?
Also, should the HUD be that dark on all the planes, or should it be more see-through like the current HUD in AH1?

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
I don't know what to put here yet.