Author Topic: AH Weapons Effects on Aircraft  (Read 847 times)

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
AH Weapons Effects on Aircraft
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2004, 10:50:42 AM »
anyone got any comments on the flight modelling....lol keep augering in EVERYTHING in AH after 3 weeks of AEP....

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2004, 11:06:46 AM »
Interesting discussion, thanks.  Another point of lethality is nose guns vs. wing guns and convergence settings.  I sure like the relative simplicity of nose concentration.  Hmmm, think I'll start a thread on that.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2004, 04:08:32 PM »
Filling it with mg151/20 rounds and it not going down is another. The Attrition model is flawed or the modleing of a 151/20 round is flawed.

..and as I said Pongo, the "filling it with MG151/20 rounds" might not be what is actually happening at all!

The only real way to figure out how the shots are doing is by recording it as a full track, and counting the shots(including non-explosive 20mm AP rounds) and seeing just how they hit where.

All the 20mms more or less have it going the same way, and it's not just the MG151s - if the shot is spread out, mixed with lot of bad quality shots, the plane will not fail in its structure.

And when you actually do the analysis, anomalies are hardly seen. 4~5 rounds concentrated onto a single spot, will kill a plane. Bombers taking more upto 10~15 concentrated rounds on a single spot. (though bombers are actually pretty easy to set on fire)

Now what I agree is, even if the 20mm shots are spread all apart, some 10~20 rounds pumped into the enemy plane should have an adverse effect - granted, FB/AEP planes may be too tough to down despite all the 20mm shots, which in real life, even spread apart, would have shed away most of the stressed skins and fragile parts so the plane loses incredible amounts of lift.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2004, 04:15:01 PM »
So we are in perfect aggreement then. The critical handling is fantastic. The attrition handling is weak.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2004, 12:15:29 AM »
in terms of gunnery, I had never played much because of other oddities in the FM mostly, but after a few weeks of hard training I was starting to land good cannon deflections at 400+.

What I found hard was the graphics, they were nice and informative but the fuzziness made my eyes swim, it was harder to tell exact bullet and target details among all the effects compared to the simple old school AH interface.  It really slows down your assessment for learning. i.e. long range positions, which btw is really different too, a plane at 1000 is tiny in Il2, compared to the 1000 of AH (pretty sure it must be different units but no one's mentionned it).
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2004, 12:18:54 AM »
btw afaik. AH2 doesn't yet have false hits modeled, which is part of the model in Il2 as we've said, but everytime I've landed more than 1 or two true 108 hits in Il2 (full real) and the plane did not have criticals, it was in pretty poor shape.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2004, 08:48:57 AM »
Yes, they're different units, metres not yards.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2004, 01:31:51 AM »
thanks.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2004, 12:46:26 AM »
Gotta remember its not just the amount of shots landed but where the shots hit.

You can land many shots and aacheive nothing but instartling the hell out of the pilot if you dont hit anything crucial.

Alot of these planes in real life came home with many many holes in em. But they came home

by the same token it only takes one bullet no matter how small the calibre to enter the pilots skull to ruin his day
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty