Author Topic: newbie questions  (Read 156 times)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
newbie questions
« on: March 01, 2000, 12:28:00 PM »
This is gonna be a bunch of stupid questions, ill informed statements and daft suggestions that people have posted before and I'm bound to get flamed for and called stupid but here goes anyway:

I usually fly European Air War online at Kali server 181, I have never flown Warbirds or Wireplay's Air Attack online so I'm used to 8 player max.    

I have to say, this is great.  70 people I've seen in that arena. Awesome.

However, I find it waaaay too hard to get a plane off the ground.  Jesus, I have to drive a B17 off a cliff to get the thing in the air (no takin off from low runways!).
More lift at low speeds would help.
And b4 anyone asks, yeah, I'm using flaps for takeoff.

I also find B17s getting shot down a little to easy.  I've had wings blown off (both of em no less!) with just a few shots.  And I agree with everyone else who's said guns are too lethal at long range.

Is there a way to get the AI firing the guns when I'm trying to drop bombs?  Yeah I know I can have a human gunner but sometimes it's hard to find one.

You may have guessed by now I like the B17, here's why:

I'm having a problem with visibility in the fighters.  I may be missing something here but without a padlock or a gunsight view like Air Attack, how do you keep the enemy in sight?  Especially with that damn blackout model?  Until I get a VR helmet I cannot keep my eyes on the enemy without software support.  

People have suggested having left hand over numpad.....um......well my desk is small and the numpad is on the wrong side of the keyboard.  Also it's not possible with a HOTAS system, I need my left hand for the throttle.

What about weather?  There doesn't seem to be any.  Storm fronts with heavy cloud moving about the arena, appearing and disappearing, would bring some serious strategy to the bombing campaign. No bombing from 25k through heavy cloud.

Finally, are there any pictures of ground targets anywhere with decriptions? I have no idea what to aim bombs at.

ok, I'm done so call me stupid now.

Swoop

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2000, 01:39:00 PM »
See answers under your questions below:

However, I find it waaaay too hard to get a plane off the ground. Jesus, I have to drive a B17 off a cliff to get
                    the thing in the air (no takin off from low runways!).

>>>>Try using the bomber fields for take-off until you get used to the FM, they have a slightly longer Runway.  One thing helpful for fighter fields is: Apply brakes, power up, release brakes, apply 1 notch of flaps RIGHT BEFORE you pull back off the stick at end of runway, gear up.<<<<<<<<<

I also find B17s getting shot down a little to easy. I've had wings blown off (both of em no less!) with just a
                    few shots. And I agree with everyone else who's said guns are too lethal at long range.

>>>>>Too easy compared to what? EAW? I agree, I've never flown a real B17 in battle, so I cannot say if it is too easy or not, I can only judge by footage.  BTW, when you hear 3 or 4 pings from a cannon-armed plane, that may mean 15-20 shells have already hit you, you are not gonna hear 1 ping for 1 shell, more like 1 ping for 4-5 shells.<<<<<<

Is there a way to get the AI firing the guns when I'm trying to drop bombs? Yeah I know I can have a human
                    gunner but sometimes it's hard to find one.

>>>>No, you must go to auto-pilot and be the gunner yourself<<<<<<

I'm having a problem with visibility in the fighters. I may be missing something here but without a padlock or
                    a gunsight view like Air Attack, how do you keep the enemy in sight?

>>>>>No padlock, but you can adjust your view within each turret, by moving your head literally out of th turret, giving you exceptional views...finding a fighter has never been a problem with the 3D cockpits here.<<<<<<<<<<<<

What about weather? There doesn't seem to be any. Storm fronts with heavy cloud moving about the arena,
                    appearing and disappearing, would bring some serious strategy to the bombing campaign. No bombing
                    from 25k through heavy cloud.

>>>>>>Weather does move in the game, there's just not alot of it due to frame rate degradation if implemented.<<<<<<<

Finally, are there any pictures of ground targets anywhere with decriptions? I have no idea what to aim
                    bombs at.

<<<<<See LINKS at the main page of HiTechs homepage, there's Glars Maps , good maps of every airfield<<<<<<<<

Look me up online, I'll give ya all the help you need.

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
++JG2++ ~Richthofen~ XO
Aces High Training Corps
JG2 "Richthofen"

"Opfer mussen gebracht werden"
— Otto Lilienthal

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 03-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 03-01-2000).]

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
newbie questions
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2000, 01:50:00 PM »
Welcome to AH!  There are trainers, and lots of others, who will be glad to help you sort it out.

"However, I find it waaaay too hard to get a plane off the ground."

The new automatic takeoff may help.  Check under Setup/Flight, and try selecting automatick takeoff.

For manual takeoff, check your fuel loadout, and try it with 50%.  That will get you wherever you need to go. Don't use full flaps.  Flaps provide lift, but they also create drag. Drop one notch of flaps just as you get to the end of the runway.

OTOH, it is SUPPOSED to be difficult to take off a fully loaded B-17.  Practice...practice...practic e...  

"Is there a way to get the AI firing the guns when I'm trying to drop bombs?"

AI gunners is a HUGE can of worms.  Ask anyone who flew WarBirds.  We DON'T want AI gunners.  It ain't perfect, but IMO AH has the best compromise for buff defense.  If you offer free beer, you will have better luck getting gunners.  

"I'm having a problem with visibility in the fighters."

How many views do you have on your hat?  With two or more "stick-sets", and/or an 8-way hat, you should have enough views to follow the bad guy.  Also, with experience, you will be able to predict his path better.

"Finally, are there any pictures of ground targets anywhere with decriptions?"

Check out: http://www.bombergroup.com/maps/ahmaps.htm

popeye

(I'm one of the AH trainers.  If you want more help, or want to work on something in the Training Arena, just shout (or email).  

KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?