Author Topic: Beta 22; B17 Formation Takeoffs  (Read 1444 times)

Offline FireOf59

• Copper Member
Beta 22; B17 Formation Takeoffs
« on: April 11, 2004, 08:14:02 PM »
This problem may only be my flying but I def don't have this in AHI

When manually taking off with B17 Formations, The drones never start climbing with me. They fly along the ground while I climb until they finally explode. Then when trying auto takeoff with formations, I never get off the ground until I clip something and die.

Anyone else have these issues?

Offline ChasR

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 09:17:28 AM »
I had the same problem in Beta 20 and haven't yet tried in Beta22.  Taking off from A199, which is a high altitude base, I couldn't make it on the sw runway.  I always hit the trees regardless of fuel load.  However, I could make it on the ne runway which has no trees at the end.  This may prove not to be a bug.  In AH1 there are a lot of maps with bases that you can't take off in a B17 without hitting a hill at the end of the runway.  I didn't try manual takeoff.
Probably not much different than in real life, some bases don't have long enough runways for bombers.  In the game, perhaps bombers shouldn't be available at bases without enough room to take off.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 11:43:06 AM »
I have np what so ever.

B17s in the following pics are fully loaded 100% fuel and 6 x 1k bombs. I tried several runways and all the bombers. The only issues were with the ar234. With out ratos I had trouble getting up to speed to clear the trees in certain places. With ratos the trailing bomber would explode.

The b17s was the simplest of all.

Now the qualifier, no auto-takeoff :) Another reason to turn off the useless "features".

With auto take off the drones may not get up the speed needed to climb. With auto take off turned off you can utilize the length of the runway to get speed up to then go into auto climb.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 11:48:46 AM »
When manually taking off with B17 Formations,

oops, I missed the "manual" part. I dunno I have np waht so ever.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 12:06:36 PM »
Trying to duplicate the problem. Can you describe
1. Flap settings,
2. Field and runway you take off from.
3. After airborn you might need to back on the throttle a little to let them catch up.

HiTech

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 01:06:07 PM »
I took up a flight of B17s a few days ago and also had no problems at all.... as in AH1, I did back off the throttle slightly to let the drones catch up, but once up to speed they followed perfectly.    I never use auto-takeoff, or flaps in B17s, but I don't engage auto-climb until the drones have formed up and we're up to full speed.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 01:36:53 PM »
Also try to do 3 point take offs in 17's. The angle it sits at is already at a take off anlge of attack when it reaches a take off speed. If you lift your tail it'll take longer to take off.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 07:07:41 PM by Wolf14 »

Offline ChasR

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 02:26:01 PM »
At a199, SW runway, Auto takeoff on, 6 x 1000 loadout

With no flaps, succesful takeoffs @ 25%,50%,75% fuel.
Hit tree @ 100 %

With flaps at default (2 notches) succesful @25%.  Hit tree at 50%
and up.

Fix could be as simple as removing trees at end of runway.  In manual take off you may be able to steer to the left and buy some more room.  

I'll try some manual takeoffs tonight on my real AH computer with a joystick.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 02:54:45 PM »
Auto-takeoff does seem to be a much shallower angle than I use manually, which is how I can usually tell those using it....  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline ChasR

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 05:43:59 PM »
A199, SW runway, Manual Takeoff, 6 x 1000 loadout.

Can take off at any fuel with no flaps or with 2 notches.  Drones appear to fly just below the surface of the ground, through hills, trees and everything and come out when ground drops away and form up.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 06:12:06 PM by ChasR »

Offline Creesith

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Lancs ride the deck
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 07:31:07 PM »
I tried the lancs today and the bots skimmed the deck well after I had taken off.  Suprisingly, they did not crash when they went through the trees.  After about 10 secs of flying through the trees, they lifted off without a hitch.  I had full throttle with max manifold pressure and max rpm.  Flaps were set to 1 notch and I was loaded with 25% fuel and 14 1k pounders.

Offline FireOf59

• Copper Member
B-17 Formations
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 08:02:49 PM »
Thanks much for all the replies.
Must be something I'm doing wrong that I'll have to work out.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 08:51:24 AM »
Have done a lot of testing on this. What happenes is if you climb to quickly the drones try stay a preset distance back from you and cant fly to that point. So on first part of lift off try make sure your climb rate is very slow until the drones get air born.

I have been trying some different following code on take off, and havn't found a  solution yet.

HiTech