Author Topic: Not Strictly Related To AH, But...  (Read 129 times)

Offline Rendar

• Copper Member
Not Strictly Related To AH, But...
« on: March 02, 2000, 11:57:00 PM »
How much would an average starting salary be for someone with an Associate's degree in Computer Programming and/or Art/Multimedia?  Just asking.  I was wondering whether to get one of those in the future...

------------------
mp-ten
Lt. J.G. VF-100 "The Haze"

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2000, 06:42:00 AM »
That's pretty vague here...

By degree, I think you're here talking about a college MBA equivalent, right ?

If it's programming (Especially funny stuff like C++, Delphi, Java...) You might not start with a lot, but should get pretty fast up to 25/30K £ per year...

Multimedia...can vary from 18K£ to 50£ :/

But that, of course is in Southern England...dunno about the US.

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
KNIGHT'S FINEST FLYING BRICK

JG2 "Richthofen"
"Firepower Mate, that is what separates the men from the boys..."

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 03-03-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Gazoo

• Zinc Member
      • http://plaza.v-wave.com/SolarStorm/index.htm
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2000, 07:42:00 AM »
Rendar, that all depends on how much you can PROVE to me you know your stuff.

I have started kids from $20k to $50k (only one).  But the 50k kid came in with a stack of disks, URLs, and code.  He then proceded to very tactfully wow the socks off of me.  Trick is, don't EVER snow me in an interview.  I am looking for someone who will say "I don't know", and then immediately follow that up with "but I will find out for you by Monday".  I will actually wait for a good candidate to try that.

One of the things I will do with a new hire is start with a very poor wage, say 20k and then map out some goals.  If you can do this in 3 months, then we go to 30k, 35k, 40k etc.  I have even made the raise retroactive for the right people.

One of the great things about this field is that there are NO limits as to your salary.  Unfortunatley there are also NO limits to how much your boss expects out of you either   (all you programmers out there know what I mean)

To answer your question though.  Don't worry about your initial salary.  You are much better served by doing an apprenticeship at a low paying SMART shop than by going for the bucks and getting drawn into a meat grinder.  Most SMART shops won't let you leave if you prove yourself anyhow.  Remember to always go to you boss first before looking else where.  You might be surprised what level headed discussion can do.

------------------
"Just Plane Nuts"
Gazoo
 http://plaza.v-wave.com/SolarStorm/index.htm

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2000, 09:42:00 AM »
I have to agree with Gazoo it not what you start at that is important it's how much you CAN make if you prove yourself.

I've hired kids right out of school as low as $15k and as high as $40K.

------------------
Mighty1
The New Baby Harp Seals

"Come try to club THIS Seal"
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.