Author Topic: Coral Sea  (Read 5329 times)

Offline gear

• Silver Member
Coral Sea
« on: April 18, 2004, 12:33:23 PM »
The battle of the Coral Sea would be kool.If some one could get a map that would work.Cuz a carrier war would be real kool.:)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 01:00:28 PM by gear »

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Coral Sea
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 01:18:26 PM »
Gear......

What do you think about your avatar? is it so cool?

I don't think so..............
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline gear

• Silver Member
Coral Sea
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 02:14:17 PM »
Gear......

What do you think about your avatar? is it so cool?

I don't think so..............

Too EACH HIS OWN,BTW i said a "CORAL SEA CAMPIAN "would be kool.
 Here read a little history b4 you start judging me:D It should be noted that this text is not entirely accurate: The Mound Builders inhabited the Ohio River Valley and the Cliff Dwellers lived in the Southwestern United States; however, both did use the swastika, as did the Mayas of Mexico. Furthermore, although the swastika may look like four "L's" to one who uses the Roman alphabet, in Greek it forms four Gammas ("G's"), in Hebrew it can be seen as four Daleths ("D's"), and among the non-literate people of North America, it corresponded to no letters at all. Thus the ascription of Luck, Light, Love, and Life to the amulet is simply an English mnemonic, although it is prettily reinforced on this card by images of a horseshoe (luck), the rising Sun (light), twin hearts (love), and Earth (life). Finally, not mentioned in the text is the swastika's use as the specific emblem of Ganesha, the Hindu god of good luck, who is also represented as an elephant.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 02:30:07 PM by gear »

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Coral Sea
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 02:36:27 PM »
yeah, right.

nice spin, nazi admirer.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline gear

• Silver Member
Coral Sea
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 02:38:28 PM »
At left is a very nice American-made beaded item from the 1920s that bears the initials J.B.Y. and a black swastika on a white background. It is a simple strap-woven seed-bead piece of the type often made for a merit badge by Girl and Boy Scouts, or, as in this case, woven on a "while you wait" basis by American Indians for tourists at places like the Fred Harvey hotel chain in Arizona and New Mexico. It was found in an estate collection of Native American bead-work that had been put away and wrapped in 1929-dated newspapers. The twisted cotton threads terminate in a brass pin for hanging.

Offline gear

• Silver Member
Coral Sea
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 02:41:05 PM »
A bunch of non history known @#$%@&*%. You just connet an image to what your taught and lead to belive is a bad thing.If you do some reserch you'll see that the image was around long before the rise of the nazi party.
:D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 02:45:24 PM by gear »

Offline AcePappy

• Zinc Member
Good Point
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 02:53:28 PM »
"Claps to Gear for a sensable statement"

Gear is 100% Correct, the Nazi Party did'nt come up with this symbol, they just "used it" as a symbol for their rhine. Now i am not totally sure who invented it I do know it is a symbol of Good Luck from God by many countries before our time. I have a badge here at home, my grandfather found it during WW2, it's from a german soldier. It has a swastika and on the back is like a little prayer from god with a swastika around it, meaning Good Luck. You know how people use the "Christ Cross" as a way of prayer and shield from evil? Well, The Nazi Party had it for their same reason, The Jewish party just did'nt believe in it because the Nazi Party took all their anger out on them, I understand Jewish people not liking it for what has happened to them, but don't go judging someone just by a little symbol that they have that YOU do not know what it really means symbolically.
Just my 2 cents, if ya disagree, that's nice then I know your illiterate personality, :)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Coral Sea
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 03:09:58 PM »
Sorry, Pappy but you're buying into the excuse lock stock and barrel. Gear displays the Nazi swastika. There's no mistaking it. Apologist types have been using the old "Vikings, American Indians and Hindus were using the symbol long before the Nazis did so it has precident and it's cool" argument for years. He's not displaying an Indian charm in his avatar. He knows it. Everyone else knows it.

Hitler adopted the swastika as the symbol for his party. He turned it into a symbol of hate. It's been that ever since. There's people it offends. Of course, most who would even consider using it in an avatar could care less if it offends anyone, anyhow. But they will get VERY defensive if it's brought up. Case in point ... Gear's response in this thread.

That being said, I could really care less. I just find the old "party line" amusing. I fall more on the side a smirking and shaking my head over it than jumping to "Gear's cause." He'll either outgrow this phase or not. ;)

Offline AcePappy

• Zinc Member
Sorry?
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2004, 03:14:36 PM »
Dude Arlo, Don't be sorry for responding to my thought the way you did, I knew someone would, you don't think races used this symbol ever before the Nazi Party? WOW! you should read up on it. I'm not saying Gear should or shouldn't have it, All I am saying is too many people say "oh that's horrible" when they don't know the actual real meaning of it, Hitler adopted it, that's all. He basically stole the symbol and turned it into something bad, instead of using it the way it was used before. If you disagree, oh well. I'm just letting you know what i have read in books about it. :)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Coral Sea
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2004, 03:29:26 PM »
You really didn't understand my post, did you Pappy? :)

Glad you devoted time to reading a book about swastikas. Many of us here already knew about it without going that far. As for myself, I've better studies to devote myself to. But if you think Gear is displaying anything other than the symbol of the Nazi party in his avatar, I suggest you review your book. :aok

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Re: Sorry?
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2004, 03:40:04 PM »
Originally posted by AcePappy
you don't think races used this symbol ever before the Nazi Party?

That isnt the issue Ace. As Arlo said, Gear is displaying the Nazi swastika, he knows it and so does everyone else. I am sure someone, somewhere, burned a cross long before the KKK did in the rural south, but what does a burning cross mean to people now?

In this country at least, you have the right to show the swastika, and I support Gear's right to do so even if it is a symbol of hate, but dont kid yourself Ace, it IS a symbol of hate now and forever after the Nazi's used it. That is irrefuteable, and trying to do so makes you look bad.

storch

Coral Sea
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2004, 04:09:01 PM »
Nice troll gearsy most lively thing on here since we left.  No comments from arlo required on this one either.

Offline gear

• Silver Member
Coral Sea
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2004, 04:12:53 PM »
EXCUSE ME!!!!!! Can anyone of you piont out where I posted anywhere in any posting that states that the swatika is kool?
(BTW I have both american indian and german heritage).
This whole post was about a coral sea campain not my avitar.:D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 04:15:21 PM by gear »

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Coral Sea
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2004, 04:19:40 PM »
I know the swastika has meant a lot of different things to a lot of different people over the years, but I thought Hitler flipped it around?  Something was different (physically) about the nazi swastika vs how it appears in other belief systems (I think it's rather common in hinduism?).

That being said I gotta say that bringing a swastika avatar to a ww2 based discussion board is asking for trouble.

As for the coral sea, if there's a way to do it I'd be happy to run it as a setup, as I'm a big fan of early war PTO.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline gear

• Silver Member
Coral Sea
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2004, 04:21:01 PM »
Here are the task forces .
Carrier Striking Force - Vice Admiral Takeo Takagi
Shokaku
Zuikaku
Myoko
Kaguro