Author Topic: CT Set-Up for April 23: GATHERING STORM: D-Day Approches  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
CT Set-Up for April 23: GATHERING STORM: D-Day Approches
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2004, 01:19:53 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
actually they should dump the raf planes from this setup. i mean by this point the raf had minimal impact on the air war.

:D

>
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2004, 01:38:39 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
>

study up on your zoology, that's no worm, it's an anaconda!

:eek:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2004, 03:30:00 PM »
I don't think that the Germans had retired all of the 109F-4s and JU-87s by D-Day.  The Allies have one hell of a mix of performing aircraft, in all fairness the Germans need the 109F to the Allied mix in furballs.

eskimo

storch

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2004, 06:58:39 PM »
I have to agree with Eskimo

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2004, 07:42:52 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
I don't think that the Germans had retired all of the 109F-4s and JU-87s by D-Day.  The Allies have one hell of a mix of performing aircraft, in all fairness the Germans need the 109F to the Allied mix in furballs.

eskimo

Actual they were. The ju87 saw service on the east front but was with drawn from front line service in the west.

Take the opportunity to learn the G-6. I was an avid 109F-4 fan until spending time in events flying the G-6.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2004, 07:45:55 PM »
Ahhh...another setup where the P-38 was left out even though it was a major participant.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2004, 07:55:19 PM »
the p38l wasn't, bribe HT into modelling a few more variants and you would see it more often.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2004, 08:22:18 PM »
I don't really see the big deal...the difference between the late-model P-38J's and the P-38L's was... none.  

Hell, I think the only difference between the early J's and the late J's/L's was that the early J's lacked dive flaps.  

I'd say to keep the P-38, it is a lot more fun to fly than the P-47.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2004, 08:54:15 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
I don't really see the big deal...the difference between the late-model P-38J's and the P-38L's was... none.  

Hell, I think the only difference between the early J's and the late J's/L's was that the early J's lacked dive flaps.  

Urchin, if the dive recovery flaps were the only difference, the P-38L would probably fit in. However, the P-38L had hydraulically boosted ailerons that tripled its roll rate above 250 mph as compared to the J model. Only the P-38J-25-LO had the boosted ailerons, and this was considered an interim model (only 220 were built) between the J-20 and the L-1 with the engines being the only significant difference. P-38Ls also had tail warning radar installed, and they were plumbed for pnuematic G-suits as well. HTC has elected not to model pilot G-suits in the late USAAF fighters. Think of the whining that would ensue because blackout occurs two Gs higher than in aircraft without them.. A significant advantage for already very capable aircraft.

I can see only one thing that would need be fixed, and it's something that HTC would have to do: All P-47s in the ETO had the paddle-blade props by March of 1944.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2004, 09:44:36 PM »
I dont see the big deal about the P-38 either, its no more uber than a P-51B or a P-47D. Its nice to have some variety, just think... maybe some players would pick it over the Spitfire IX if they had the chance.

Thats not to say it HAS to be in the setup, if the designer is looking for a certain set, fine, lets respect that.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2004, 01:27:18 AM »
Originally posted by Urchin

Well that may be but if the design is set to represent a given time frame then hold to it.

If it was just a "late war allied / axis" set up then enable them all. I made a long post about leaving out the G-10. Some folks think the G-10 is more fun then the G-6. Some like the D-9 over the A-8 or A-5. I always thouyght the D-11 is more fun then the 38.

I don't think the p38l would make much a difference a2a but as a jabo it would rule, why fly a bomber when 2 or 3 38s can level a field.

Anyway, after breaking ranks with my LW brethren I couldn't very well let the let the farm bois get a freebie. :) (Just kidding farm bois, I was just trying to maintain consistency)

Widewing,

Theres a whole lot about "gs" that Ht doesnt account for. Pilot physical condition, height, weight seat position etc... Everything is a standard 6gs. There would need to be a lot of radomness to how he models high gs.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2004, 02:46:06 PM »
the P-38L had hydraulically boosted ailerons that tripled its roll rate above 250 mph as compared to the J model.

Is that modelled correctly in AH?

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2004, 04:35:47 PM »
I beleive it is, a P-38J-15 would roll slower than a "late" P-38J-25 or a P-38L-5.

...Its a nice setup, maybe next time leave out the Spit IX or P-51B and add the P-38L just to give it a different flavor.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2004, 05:11:00 PM »
:)

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2004, 03:50:19 PM »
Originally posted by Slash27
How about the D-25 with or instead of the D-11?

D-11's a better ride, IMO, Slash. It's faster and far more nimble than the other P47's.

Gainsie