Author Topic: plse unperk the tempest  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2004, 08:14:53 PM »
* You say you feel the damage done in FB seems "random".

* You also say "It depend of the setup IMO, in FB with icon I don't feel any difference between both sims."

If I'm guessing correctly about what you're saying straffo, what you have said may actually confirm my argument rather than contradict it.

You feel that AH and FB isn't that different because you are able to get hits out to planes flying. You can try a 200~400m shot on some planes, and you'll see 20mms connect or debris falling off from the target.

In that aspect, I believe, you're saying "I don't feel any difference".

But probably(I think..), you feel that you've landed some good shots at those distances, but the enemy plane doesn't go down as it would in AH.

To that end you're saying "the damage feels random".

If my guesses on what you're experiencing are correct, that's exactly what I'm talking about. There are two factors here:

1) A distance where one may be able to hit a target

2) A distance where one may be able to actually very likely bring down a target

In AH, 1) and 2) is the same.
 In FB 1) and 2) is not the same.

Multiple factors that exist in FB but not in AH, is what brings out the key difference. I myself can hit something at 300m, even at 400m in FB - but very frankly, I never expect to bring something down at that range.

If I ever fire at those distances it is usually a few quick snapshots hoping that it damages a certain part of the target plane and drags down the speed, so I may catch up and get within realistic firing distances - where I do have a chance to bring the plane down.

Now, I'd do the same thing in AH, except the distance where I know I can expect to bring down the plane in AH is 400yards. Whereas it is within 200m in FB. The distance expecting a kill is about twice as longer in AH than FB. At this point the DM issue comes into relevancy.

As for the Yak-9T, well, that's a bit of a wrong example there IMO straffo. NS-37 is a powerful cannon. I can expect a kill at those ranges to0, were I using a MK108 armed plane in FB.

If we limit it to the more conventional armament of HMGs and 20mms, I'd assume the reality is a lot different to what the Niemen reported with their particular plane. That opinion is also with Mr. Tony Williams - as a general rule of thumb, 200m max expected for fighters, 400m max for larger targets like bombers.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2004, 06:38:50 AM »
I agree with you at something like 90% (your perception is correct even if my not so good English + my usual twisted reasonning add noise to my messages :D)

So far I think that a shell landing on a defined place on a plane at 200 or 400 will make almost the same damages (a 200m difference is not great)

IMO the problem is more in the interface the software give to the player aka the Icons.

I tested last night a no-icon fight in AH it was as difficult as in FB ,next I make a sortie in AH2 were the icon is different it was difficult too.

So my guess (I can't qualify it otherwyse) is gunnery physic is quite the same in the 3 sims (AH,AH2 and FB) but the icon give to much informations.

I'm pretty sure of it because when viewing my films I noticed I usualy opened fire at the instant the target was at 325 yards.
And 325 yds is my usual convergence ...

I'll try to complete this post later , my son is sick and I've to see a doctor.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2004, 04:34:13 PM »
Ouch! Sorry to hear that, straffo.

Will stay comment until your done at the hospital - hope it's just a cold or something.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2004, 04:48:28 PM »
Thanks Kweassa we spent 3 hour in hospital for nothing , he is fine (he was jumping everywhere after 1 hour :))

I'm sorry ,I completly forgot to complete my post and it's way to late for me (it's bed time + 1 hour :p) I'll do it tomorrow (really this time)

If you want you can comment,that's not a problem.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2004, 07:34:02 AM »
The Ta-152 shouldn't even be perked at all. It's just a German P-47.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2004, 03:42:34 PM »
After reading this thread and realizing that perk points probably won't roll over to AH2...I think that since I like the Typhoon a lot I'll just have to switch to Tempests until AH2's release.

This should be fun.

If perks do roll over then a mix of flights with Tempests and Yaks should keep the perkies from droping too much.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2004, 11:17:16 PM »
The only plane in the MA which has even a chance at keeping up with a tempest is the la7.  Unperking it is silly.

The same goes for the C-hog, it's fairly fast, very well armed, but in reality is an ultra-rare plane.  (But so is the n1k2)  It's also not what it was before it was perked, having had quite a bit of weight added to it.  

Theres no point in unperking these planes and making the problems worse.  Letting the tempest take the place of the la7, and the chog the place of the n1k2.  The problem isn't that the planes are perked without cause, the problem is that they have close unperked analogs.

As it is perks are pretty useless except for flying the 262.  Eliminate the inconsistent perk-tags(f4u4 vs f4u, spit14 vs spit), give several planes small perk costs, and you end up with perks being more usefull.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 11:20:40 PM by Innominate »

Offline enemyace

• Zinc Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2004, 08:57:16 AM »
my opinion for what it is worth is that the perks should be set so everyone has to work at acquiring the planes they want.  the main thing is that once you win a aircraft you can keep it, so perk prices need to be high.  example: i had saved enough to get 262 and in middle of fight, everything started warping and screen froze. i lost perk points and plane.  it was so frustrating that i just about deleted my account.  so i want to see that when you earn a plane its put in your personal hanger.

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
plse unperk the tempest
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2004, 05:18:48 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
The Ta-152 shouldn't even be perked at all. It's just a German P-47.

which is pretty damn sad state of affairs