Author Topic: Crash To Desktop  (Read 633 times)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Crash To Desktop
« on: April 22, 2004, 10:39:35 PM »
Aces High has caused an error in ACESHIGH.EXE.  Aceshigh will now close.  If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.

Close

Debug

"Close" will close the program.  "Debug" will launch my wife's trial version of Borlund C++ Builder.

WTF?

I tried restarting. No joy.

System:
Dell Dimension 8100
Windows ME
Pentium 4

edit: I deleted the C++ trial version, deleted AH2, re-installed from the .exe, tried to run, got same error message, but when I click "Debug" it launched Microsoft's Visual C++.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 10:51:27 PM by gofaster »

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Crash To Desktop
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 03:33:21 PM »
Out of curiosity, what are the minimum specs for AH2?  Maybe I don't have the right hardware to run it.  I click the icon, it forms a window, then I get the error message.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Crash To Desktop
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 09:09:12 AM »
Hello?

Should I just give up?

Should I just plan on cancelling my subscription when AH1 goes away?

Eh.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Crash To Desktop
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 09:54:24 AM »
check your directX version and your video drivers.
what kind of video board do you have ?

Btw the debug thing is perfectly normal , you have a debugger defined as JIT debuger I don't know how to remove this ,I'll search a bit.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Crash To Desktop
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 12:14:47 PM »
nVidea GeForce of some sort, 32MB of memory, came with the system.  I was pricing a new card today at lunch, looking at the ATI Radeon 9600.  

I'll have to check and see if I have DX9 installed (probably not).

Offline outlaw6

• Zinc Member
Crash To Desktop
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 12:20:17 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
nVidea GeForce of some sort, 32MB of memory, came with the system.  I was pricing a new card today at lunch, looking at the ATI Radeon 9600.  

I'll have to check and see if I have DX9 installed (probably not).

Hey there, The ATI Radeon will do wonders. A 32MB card wouldn't even launch AH (I had one before, no go.) If you do go with ATI 9600 make it pro, it almost doubles Frames. You can excpect about 20-30 with a 1.2Ghz Celeron, and about 50 with a P4

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Crash To Desktop
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 02:44:37 PM »
Originally posted by outlaw6
Hey there, The ATI Radeon will do wonders. A 32MB card wouldn't even launch AH (I had one before, no go.) If you do go with ATI 9600 make it pro, it almost doubles Frames. You can excpect about 20-30 with a 1.2Ghz Celeron, and about 50 with a P4

Yeah, you're right about the old card.  I updated to DX9, re-installed AH2, it started (woo-hoo!), looked like it wanted to show me a picture of the inside of the tower.  Mouse cursor was a greyish-blue box that I could move around.  Clipboard was a greyish-blue box, too.  So, it looks like I may be upgrading my video card to the ATI Radeon.

Thanks for the advice!

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
Crash To Desktop
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 10:52:50 AM »
I installed an ATI Radeon 9600 XT (128 meg) last night.  HUGE difference.  You will definitely not be sorry.

P4 1.3 ghz
256 meg ram
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
Soundblaster Live
Windows ME
MS Precision Pro joystick...soon to be upgraded to CH HOTAS

Ran AH2 fine last night, BUT still freezes when merging with other planes, an occasional CTD when trying to do settings on the fly, etc.  I am assuming these are bugs to be worked out.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Crash To Desktop
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 11:26:10 AM »
Cool!  I ordered a 9600 XT this morning.  Sounds like you and I have almost the same system; P4 1.3Ghz, Windows ME, but I can't remember how much memory I have (I added some, can't remember what the final total was), ditched the SB Live for a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, and am using CH USB controls.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Crash To Desktop
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2004, 07:19:47 AM »
ATI Radeon 9600 XT works like a champ.  Ordered from ProVantage on Tuesday, arrived at my door from FedEx on Thursday.  Lowest frame rate I got was 36 in smoke; still completely fightable at that level.

Now to set up my views and assign my CH USB controls.  :)

edit: Oh, yeah, one more thing.  FedEX rocks!