Author Topic: Pat Tillman.....  (Read 1234 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Pat Tillman.....
« on: April 23, 2004, 10:43:12 AM »
It puts the whole world in perspective....

A truely tragic day for america...one of the few true current american hero's...

I hope you guys will set up a fly by....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Pat Tillman.....
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 02:15:14 PM »
A sad an tragic thing for sure, but I cetainly wouldn`t say he was one of a "few" American heros.  I would come more of saying he belonged to a tremondously large group of American heros at the present time.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Pat Tillman.....
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 04:26:30 PM »
Jackal,
Pat Tillman was one of Arizona's own.  An admired person from his days at ASU where he was undersized yet he greatly overachieved as a linebacker.  He was much loved by the AZ community.  Humble resides in AZ, and Tillman was a man of rare calibre.  There are many American heroes these days, but Humble is right in that Tillman had few peers.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline recon7

• Copper Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com/
Pat Tillman.....
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 05:39:36 PM »
Here, Here.  While not diminishing the courage and sacrifice of all servicemembers, of which group I am currently a member, Tillman showed either a greater sacrifice, or dedication to doing what he felt was right, by giving up a promising NFL career to enlist in the Army!  

Few are the soldiers, sailors, airmen, or marines that initially enlist for solely patriotic reasons.  

Regardless of the reason for enlisting, to all who do and fight as called upon by their country.

Recon7

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Pat Tillman.....
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 06:04:23 PM »
Jackal1,

I in no way intended to slight anyone past or present serving in the armed forces of the United States of America or in public service. In a truer sense we have "hero's" all around us. One look at any picture of the police officers and firemen who rushed into the twin towers while everyone else was running out will make you realize that tens of thousands of Americans are prepared to go in harms way if circumstances require it.....

however, Pat Tillman had already chosen a different path and achieved a level of success that would have precluded most if not all others from following in his steps...

Sadly as a nation we've somehow lost our way in many respects, The "old George Bush" flew attack missions against chi chi jima, the "new' George Bush flew jets over Alabama.

The "old Archie Manning" carried a cities hopes and prayers for glory on his back for over a decade and earned the undying respect of his peers and fans for his unwavering grit and determination.

The "new Archie Manning" won't even accept the mantle of greatness form a city longing for a champion.

Unfortunately we've lost most of our true "public" hero's for some reason and worse of for it. To lose Pat Tillman before he had a chance to fill a greater destiny is a grievous blow who's full weight will never be realized...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4816850/

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Pat Tillman.....
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 09:44:55 PM »
Once again I will say it is a sad and tragic loss. That said I will say he was no greater a hero because he happened to play football.
  There is many young men out there , right now, making the ultimate sacrifice. Some will make the sacrifice for our country without ever really having had the chance to even experience life. They do it out of patriotism and love of their country. Most of these heros will get a passing line in their hometown paper, nothing more.
  I`m not overly impressed with our hero worship of pampered, overpaid, overdaramitized gentlemen of the NFL in general .  Most of these guys couldn`t get a job cleaning garages if it wern`t for the misplaced worship of the kid`s game of football being touted, dramatized and commericialized in the U.S.
  Mr Tillman paid the ultimate sacrifice for his country. That`s enough said. Damn sure don`t have anything to do with the NFL.
  I salute "all" our troops out there doing what has made this country great.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Pat Tillman.....
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 10:23:35 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
Once again I will say it is a sad and tragic loss. That said I will say he was no greater a hero because he happened to play football.
  There is many young men out there , right now, making the ultimate sacrifice. Some will make the sacrifice for our country without ever really having had the chance to even experience life. They do it out of patriotism and love of their country. Most of these heros will get a passing line in their hometown paper, nothing more.
  I`m not overly impressed with our hero worship of pampered, overpaid, overdaramitized gentlemen of the NFL in general .  Most of these guys couldn`t get a job cleaning garages if it wern`t for the misplaced worship of the kid`s game of football being touted, dramatized and commericialized in the U.S.
  Mr Tillman paid the ultimate sacrifice for his country. That`s enough said. Damn sure don`t have anything to do with the NFL.
  I salute "all" our troops out there doing what has made this country great.

Pat Tillman was cut from a different cloth than most of us. When he signed with the Cardinals, he took his sign-on bounus and  bought a bicycle and an apartment close to the stadium instead of buying a car. When with ASU, he refused to redshirt as a freshman.

When he was offered a 9 million dollar deal by super bowl champs, Rams, he turned it down out of loyalty to the Cardinals.

He then turned down a nearly 4 million dollar contract with the Cardinals to go into the army as an enlisted man, despite graduating with over a 3 point gpa in business. He could have been an officer but chose to be a grunt.

He turned down every interview on the subject and privately stated that he felt he was doing nothing more than any other American who enlisted has done.

He then volunteered for the Rangers and passed the grade with top honors. The Rangers volunteer and usully operate behind enemy lines. He volunteered to go back to Afghanistan.

He is a true hero and a man who all Americans should know about. Not many people like him. Please read his story and learn tabout the personal convictions and sacrifices people like him make for our nation.

Honoring Pat Tillman in no way takes away from all the others who serve and die for our nation. Please give a moment to think about what kind of life Pat Tillman gave up to serve all of us. He is American to the core and a true hero.

Pat Tillman

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Pat Tillman.....
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 10:44:44 PM »
Jackal, get out of this thread.  For you to post any more garbage is pointless.

Most of these guys couldn`t get a job cleaning garages if it wern`t for the misplaced worship of the kid`s game of football being touted, dramatized and commericialized in the U.S.

Tillman got his degree w/ honors in 3.5 years.

Get out of this thread.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Pat Tillman.....
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 10:47:39 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
Jackal, get out of this thread.  For you to post any more garbage is pointless.

I think not Stevie boy.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Pat Tillman.....
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 10:58:54 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
I think not Stevie boy.

You should show a little restraint and realise that this is about one American hero, and this post does not take away from all the other heros who have served our nation.

Please do not post in a manner that takes away from  this man's special sense of patriotic duty and personal conviction.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Pat Tillman.....
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 11:24:57 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
You should show a little restraint and realise that this is about one American hero, and this post does not take away from all the other heros who have served our nation.

Please do not post in a manner that takes away from  this man's special sense of patriotic duty and personal conviction.

If you will actualy read my posts you will see this is definitely not the case.

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
Pat Tillman.....
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 11:42:49 PM »
Yes pat tillman did serve and died for his country. And I admire him for fighting for Entire world, not just usa. Part of what jackal said is true be it a very limited part, We have a squadie over in afganastan right now. I know all is well with him at this time, He deserves just as much respect for serving as Pat does. Men shouldn't have to die to earn our respect for them. Serving your follow man is great honor to them and us. May it be those who teach in inner citys or just helping your nieghbor. Or the man who provides for his family, and provides a stable healthy enviroment for them.

We do alot of hero status when someone dies, and not enough for those willing to do thankless jobs they have now. Teaching our children (for pennies i might add), Firefighters, policeman ( A job that is thankless job in america I believe), Ministers fighting to teach and help famlies to grow and I could go on and on.

I dont have more respect for brothers who died serving our country than I do for little brother who survived serving for his country. I greatly respect them all the same, But I hold my mother  in a higher state of respect  than any one of them.

So I guess i'm agreeing only insmall part where jackal said we should respect all serving  not Just the guy who was a football player that served and died, I think this was jackals point, There are men dying every day and there names are not on boards . But because Pat tillman is a football player it makes great NEWS, This is the shame........................ ....................

oh and steve pat tillman was cum laude if I remember right. Very brillant man, And I wish his wife and Mother the courage to find peace. Losing a child is the hardest thing a Mother or father  will ever go thru. for them and pat GOD's speed.

P.S.    JJ  Gods speed on your safe return home, Can't wait to here your voice on radio make ing fun of all of us.........

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Pat Tillman.....
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 12:24:42 AM »
Yep, everyone has their heros. Can you spot mine in the picture?
  If you don`t recognize anyone in the pic, then that`s a sad thing indeed.
  If you do recognize someone in this pic then you probably think you have my hero spotted. You would say the little guy sitting down is my hero. Well that`s one of my heros in this pic. The little guy, for those who are wet behind the ears is Audie Murphy, most decorated soldier of WW11, who went on to make numerous movies after the war.
  Yep, Audie always was and still is one of my heros. He is one of Americas heros. When I was a kid and got to meet him is a memory I cherish.
  The thing about it is, Audie is not my number one hero in this pic. The tall guy in the back row is. This picture was taken on the set of "This Is Your Life " radio show after the war and after Audie wrote "To Hell And Back".
  If your interested you can find this pic and story at http://www.audiemurphy.com in newsletter #9.
  The tall guy? Well, his name is Monroe Hackney. He went into the U.S. Army at the age of 17. He was involved in combat nearly from the time he completed basic. He was pinned down in a foxhole for 3 days under heavy artillery fire along with three more guys. When relief finaly came and they got these guys out, Monroe`s boots had to be cut off only to discover his feet was frozen. In a hospital in France he refused to have his feet amputated.
  He hobbled on these feet all of his life with never a complaint. He also awoke nearly every night in a sweat reliving the horror of combat.  Monroe passed away in July of `97. My hero, my dad.
 He never played for the NFL. I love him dearly.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 12:27:05 AM by Jackal1 »

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Pat Tillman.....
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2004, 01:14:46 AM »
Jackel1...

I posted this as an appreciation for someone I felt had the potential to be a great american at a time when we as a nation truely need a few.

I won't say anything here to diminish your fathers service or sacrifice to this nation. His service and suffering in no way impact or diminish the loss we as a nation suffered as a result of Pat Tillmans death. And my feelings regarding his death should not be viewed as a slight to the ~700 americans that have died in Iraq or ~183 who have died in Afganistan since the commencement of current hostilities.

I did not mention either the NFL or his athletic accomplishments in either of my posts. Just because your father was a great man (and based on your post I would regard him as one) doesn't mean that you are...or that you have some inaliable right to hide behind his actions while diminishing the death of another great American.

There for with all due respect to your father...

Jackal, get out of this thread. For you to post any more garbage is pointless

Offline Seraphim

• Nickel Member
Pat Tillman.....
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2004, 01:35:35 AM »

From someone who remembers the day Tillman resigned from the nfl and joined the military.....and also had to explain why a warrior like Tilllman would make such a decision in the 1st place (or at least try to explain) and also explain why I believe that afghans, Iraqis , & any 3rd world country deserves as much freedom as any of these true warriors are willing to die for.