Author Topic: Aces High 'Orientation'  (Read 880 times)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Aces High 'Orientation'
« on: April 24, 2004, 02:52:08 PM »
How many new players would be interested in a orientation to Aces High?
This would be the nuts and bolts of the basics, no flight time at all.
Some topics would include text and voice communications, map reading, key and 'dot' commands etc. The very basics as you can see and this 'class' would only be around 30 to 45 minutes in length and probably held in the TA at a specific base, not Bishop A1.
I have no set time for this as of now, I'm just trying to see how much, if any, interest there would be for something like this.
Recent new players, do you think a orientation like this would have helped you in the beginning?
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline LtPillur

• Copper Member
Aces High 'Orientation'
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 09:36:38 AM »
I think it is a great idea. In fact it might make the whole thing easier if it were a "suggested" course. This would eliminate the "How do I make my tank go forward " questions in the MA and CA. It would have made my life a lot easier no doubt.
Peace
Pillur

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Aces High 'Orientation'
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 10:17:01 AM »
Actually flying and driving wouldn't be in this intro. It would be the most basic stuff and topics more flying and driving related could/would come up in a following session.

LtPillur, thank you very much for the reply though. Although I know this information is needed I thought it was falling on deaf ears. Or people who need it might not know how to find this post.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline Eztgt2CH

• Zinc Member
Aces High 'Orientation'
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 12:27:28 PM »
Excellent idea.  This can only help everyone.  I know that it is a pain to download the help file and then go through it when you are trying to look something up.  Let me know if I can help at all.

Eztgt2CH

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Aces High 'Orientation'
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 01:15:33 PM »
As far as helping with the Orientation, I think the Trainers will  have that covered.
You could help with your opinion of what you needed at that early stage where it all seemed weird. What did you need to know? Remember, this would cover the very very basic things like communications and the clipboard, etc. That is why I used 'orientation' and not 'training' in the title.
As far as downloading and doing research yourself, this 'game' is somewhat complicated and I think you have to do some looking up on your own. You should at least know where to look to find help or information if you need to.

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Aces High 'Orientation'
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 04:07:36 PM »
I think its a great idea too, The learning curve of this game is pretty steep. I know alot of the guys that came over from AW had a real hard time. That was why I posted the info on the Mafia site. I tried to give enough info to get these guys going, with-out hitting them with so much info that they were overwelmed. Most of my squad used the info to get started, and I think we got 85% of the squad to switch over and stick it out.

As to what kind of info should be in the "Orientation" check out the site :D  Good Luck, Hope you get it going !

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Aces High 'Orientation'
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 09:18:29 PM »
the one page printable commands ...

http://www.netaces.org/ahsetup/ahquickref110.pdf

I think its a great idea Fuze.

I went thru the same thing when i brought all those FA 2 refugees over here ( i was flipping thru 4 pages of commands back then):aok
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline maddog

• Nickel Member
Aces High 'Orientation'
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 05:23:00 PM »
Let me know when you get to the "landing" part... Looks like fun... Would like to try it......

Offline seabat

• Copper Member
Aces High 'Orientation'
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 09:20:16 AM »
You probably already have these listed but,

1.   an explanation of the different arenas

2.   an explanation on how to read the map - sectors, base id's, zoom in/out, and how to get the drop down for symbols.

These were two questions that I saw asked in the MA last week.

BTW, excellent work in the Training Arena Fuze .

(even if you hit me with the ocean the other night :)  )

Offline maddog

• Nickel Member
Aces High 'Orientation'
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 10:17:49 AM »
don't forget

"how do I fire rockets"

"how do I get the PT to move"

"which plane should I use"

how to use spawn points... Seen many rookies trying to drive 20 miles to enimey base......

Offline skev

• Zinc Member
Aces High 'Orientation'
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 04:52:15 PM »
great idea fuze. there was a similar thread started before about the same thing .

which include having the trainees in a squad in the MA and set up nights for bombing training , vechicle, fighter and so on on different nights so they wouldnt be stuck in  the TA.  Having trainers as there CO and exp. pilots also in squad to help out but That thread didnt seem to go far(think it was for when AH2 came out)

good idea then and any training is a good idea know

hope it take off fuze

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Aces High 'Orientation'
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2004, 01:43:06 PM »
Great idea Fuze I give ya a big Salute on this. I have great respect for those in the game who take the time as you do to help others with the basics and the nitty gritty.

Morph
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Aces High 'Orientation'
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 09:07:21 PM »
i have been doing this for new squad members for over a year... i have it down to a 45 min lesson that covers everything you need to fly and communicate. my CO JB42 actually requires me to for new members lol.

i've been trying to get around to putting down the outline on paper but have never been that ambitious. i know it works and is thorough. many have told me so.

i'll see what i can do
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Aces High 'Orientation'
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 10:24:58 PM »
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Aces High 'Orientation'
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2004, 05:33:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
fuze
[ Keep them coming. ]