Author Topic: $29.95 for a Beta Program?  (Read 2760 times)

SkViper

$29.95 for a Beta Program?
« on: December 28, 2000, 09:28:00 AM »
I am getting rather anxious about the fact that I am now paying for a program (as of 105) that has more bugs than a beta web browser.

On top of that, our newbie pilots are only paying $19.99?

Dale, I think it is time the price was lowered across the board.

Back in the Beta I asked you why I would consider paying so much and your reply was, "You just have to decide how much you love the game."

Well, now I can barely even play the game.

SkViper

Offline Gunslayer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2000, 09:37:00 AM »
Well Viper, I can understand your frustration if there are other poeple paying less than you. But, I cannot blame Hitech at all for releasing 1.05 with a few bugs after the way we all begged for its release. The only way some of these bugs could have been found were trying it out on 200+ different configurations. Which a company the size of HTC just can't do without us. I have found a few bugs, but I am loving every minute of 1.05. And the HTC guys are hard at it trying to squash any bugs as quickly as they can.

I think $19 would be a good price for the game, but if we are all willing to pay 30 can you blame HTC for being a businesss?

Gunslayer

VMF-323 Death Rattlers

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2000, 09:40:00 AM »
And paying $89 for an OS full of bugs is ok?

Get out of the kitchen if you can't stand the heat.

Looks like a $29.95 whine in disguise..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2000, 10:24:00 AM »
This is a very valid complaint.  It is one of the most valid complaints that any Warbirds fanatic will resort to.

But then.. when was the last time any upgrades were done to that game?

If you want the game to improve, bugs will be introduced.  It is the result of changing thousands of lines of code.

So.. two choices... [list=1]
  • No improvements ever again once the game is stable
  • Accept that the bugs that occur are only a result of an ever improving game and will be dealt with as soon as possible.[/list=a]

AKDejaVu

[This message has been edited by AKDejaVu (edited 12-28-2000).]

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2000, 10:37:00 AM »
I'm paying my 29.95 indefinately, so long as they continue the improvement pace they have shown in getting 1.05 out.  Bugs or no bugs.

If they become overly cautious and we're waiting a year per new feature, I'm gone.

------------------
Fatty
Fat Drunk Bastards
"If you have to ask, yes, you are whining."

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2000, 10:43:00 AM »
Stayin.

Thanks for the fun HTC.

Fury

<edit>
Yea, it has some bugs.  No, they are not show-stoppers for me.  Yes, HTC is addressing big ones quickly.  It's not enough for me to lose faith in HTC and cancel.

[This message has been edited by Fury (edited 12-28-2000).]

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2000, 10:47:00 AM »
Its posts like these that start the flame wars.  And it is not my intent to criticize either side.  However, the man has a point, and a valid one at that.  His options are simple:  Uninstall and come back when the program has ben debugged a bit better or hang in there like many of us are doing.

One one hand, yea, it sucks that the game is dogged by so many annoying problems (refer to the Bug List).  But the HTC CheerLeaders need not blast the guy out of the sky.  This guy's $30 a month, and mine, are part of the reason you ALL have a place to play, etc etc

BUT, on the other side of the coin, HTC is cranking through the patches and making fixes as they are alerted to them.  Those with short fuses (myself included) need to be patient.  If you think you've been shortchanged, email or call HTC privately and negotiate with them...maybe they'll give you the month for free for your hassles, or maybe they'll say too bad.  Who knows.  But posts like this stir the pot in an audience that is already very emotional to anything people say.

If there is anything that has been revealed is that the beta testing surely needs some revamping.  Some of these bugs are just so blatantly obvious, it smells like a real hurry up to get it out.  

That's my opinion.  I'm putting on my fireproof suit, so flame away  

Paul

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2000, 10:52:00 AM »
Hmm LePaul, I guess I missed where anyone blasted this guy out of the sky?

The first line of the original post and Eagle's comment were the only two that even came close to qualifying.

I do so like it when disagreeing is deemed "flaming".  Makes me wonder if anyone really remembers what a good flame is anymore.

AKDejaVu

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2000, 10:55:00 AM »
I felt Eagler leaned in a bit hard, that's all.  And I am certain others will too.

As to flaming, hey I've been reading/posting on the USENET since 1995, you're right...nothing beats a 100+ message thread telling you how full of crap you are  

Paul

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2000, 11:06:00 AM »
LePaul

SkViper had one line in his post about bugs, which is inherent in all software, and the rest of his post was about his $30. I got the feeling he was using the upgrade/patches to pitch his squeak about the pricing differences, that's all.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Ice

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2000, 11:40:00 AM »
Beta????

You're kidding right?

To be honest, I think they need to raise their pricing at this pace. No where before have online flight enthusiast seen such a growth rate in a product, nor the attention given us by the developers.

I guess I don't understand how petty some of you get....PLEASE....if it makes you unhappy, the best thing to do is walk on down the road!

Nothing personal meant by that, I just can't believe that there is any issue regarding Aces High which warrants ranting and whining about.

Bye

Ice

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2000, 11:56:00 AM »
Shaddap and play !!!!!!

having beta fun ??  

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2000, 12:05:00 PM »
I can't believe this thread!!  Geez, if ya don't like it then don't buy it!!  No one is holding a gun to your head!!

toad once said that we are lucky that HTC lets us play in their house and sandbox. For such a small fee too!!  

There are so many choices for ya.  WB, you can sail their PT boats,right?  AW, you can command their ships, right?  FAII you can fly that real accurate flight model,right?  WWIIonline,well,at least you can take your complaining to their BBS.  You can watch their videos too

Give those of us who are very pleased with the progress we see in this flight sim a break from your constant whining!!!!

It gets real old very fast!!!

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2000, 12:07:00 PM »
 Having been here since the alpha days .25 or so, and the beta days as well as beta testing several other flight sims, I can honestly say that this is NOT beta code.  There are a few bugs, that get squashed faster here than any other online game I've seen, but NONE of them are show stoppers that I have run into anyway.

My fps get's realy low near naval battles, but I'm sure HT has some optimizing that he can do to help us.  Everybody remember when we first got smoke from destroyed buildings?  They fixed it in like 2 or 3 days.  

Take a break for a month and then come back to see if they have fixed it by then....

Udie

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2000, 12:29:00 PM »
You have a valid point on that, but only you can answer the question you pose.  Our view is that much of the value of the product is in how we continue to develop it.  If software development was a dogfight, then we'd be riding the hard edge of the stall all the time.  Even though we may start to depart, we know we can recover fast and we'll get through our fights a lot faster than with a more conservative approach.

Did we rush this version?  Yes, I think we rush every version.  We put out the last patch to 1.04 about 2 1/2 months ago and now here we are.  We'd be in 1.02 if we didn't rush.  The question we have to look at is whether things are better.  I know they're not for you right now, but I also know that a lot more people are having a lot more fun than they were a week ago.  I think that's what it comes down to in the end.

We're going to have problems and not everyone will like every new version, that's a given.  We'll do what we can as quickly as we can and hopefully that will be enough for everybody, but sometimes it isn't.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations