Author Topic: Historical Arena  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
Historical Arena
« on: March 29, 2000, 02:14:00 PM »
I'm a relatively recent WB import and a "rookie" in the skys of AH.  When I did fly WB, it was usually in the Historical Arena where the icon distances were reduced down to D17 for friendlies and D10 or less I believe for bad guys.  The planes available to each side were also historically matched into their appropriate periods.  It made for some exciting situational awareness and I found that particular arena very enjoyable.

Are there any plans to add an equivalent HA to the Aces High game?

funked

Historical Arena
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2000, 02:39:00 PM »
I sure hope so!

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Historical Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2000, 02:42:00 PM »
HA, please !

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Historical Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2000, 03:35:00 PM »
I hope so too, but lets not push them too hard, just take a look at the lastest 1.02 news!  (After all, we wouldn't want HTC to go insane, would we?   )

bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Historical Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2000, 04:11:00 PM »
I hope the HA is on the "short list" of to do's...

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Historical Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2000, 09:42:00 PM »
Guys, I can shed some light on this I believe. First off Pyro has no short term plans to do a dedicated HA arena "at this time". However, Look for lots of sunday aft events with the 332nd Flying Mongrels.

We'll do our best at setting up Axis vs Allied HA type events. Not sure yet just how much we can actually control.
(Hint)

FYI our squad time is sunday 3:00 est.

Traditionally we have flown all sides, all aircraft. We are going to be looking for lots of friends to fly with us & against us.

------------------
Maj Ghosth
XO 332nd Flying Mongrels

CANNON

Historical Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2000, 10:24:00 PM »
why would an HA be any less empty here, than in that other sim.

Ivedog

Historical Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2000, 10:47:00 PM »
You say empty as if it were a bad thing.  I'd much rather hop into any HA... regardless of the numbers.  For me, it sure beats the regular arenas.  Sure, you've got a hundred plus pilots, but good historical fights are few and far between.

Quality... not quantity.

------------------
The Volunteers!

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Historical Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2000, 11:20:00 PM »
Why is so hard to make a HA at all ? Just another arena, with plane choice limits.

That so much to ask ?

As for emptiness, I know I would never go back to MA once HA is introduced. Probably quite a few other historical squadron members.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Historical Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2000, 11:23:00 PM »
Unlike in WB's it wouldn't cost you $.50 just to climb and go hunting. I would enjoy an HA.

I would like to see icon range affected too. Maybe what they are doing to them in the upcoming version will be enough.

Offline NineZ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.user.shentel.net/vonz/jagdneun.html
Historical Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2000, 11:36:00 PM »
Historical arena will be neat!  Judging from the great historical posts I have seen from so many of our fellow AH pilots, it would seem that such an arena would be a big hit.  

I personally have enjoyed the quality of the warbird pilots that I have met here in AH.  I look forward to meeting up with some of you over the channel, perhaps.  Or maybe, over a brown sandy African setting.  

Simulating air combat with historically matched aircraft over corresponding terrain would be a blast.  It would seem that such an arena would be relatively easy to set up.

JagdNine  

[This message has been edited by NineZ (edited 03-29-2000).]

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Historical Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2000, 12:23:00 AM »
Meanwhile, you can always look in the Special Events Forum, there are a couple of things organised weekly , like the 8th Strike, the Japanese Event and the GMT TOD (Weekly)...

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
=XO=III/JG2~Richthofen~
GMT T.O.D. SITE

JG2 "Richthofen"
Don't shoot ! I am only an observer......

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 03-30-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
Historical Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2000, 12:52:00 AM »
HA would be great, would be great to get away from the spray and pray crowd wich surely will increse with the new gunnery model.

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-

http://www.rsaf.org/osf/
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
Historical Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2000, 03:16:00 AM »
Hopefully, once the scenario guys get their tools, they get to change the icon settings in the SEA. SEA is a good place to do the experimenting, imho.

I'd very much like to try reduced icon settings in a historical scenario.  Enemy icons from, say D2K and range from D1K. Friendly icons from maybe D4K, range D2K.  And who says we can't try a "no enemy icons" scenario?  

All this would make sneak attacks more frequent- especially once they turn on the sun    And this is a good thing!

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
Historical Arena
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2000, 09:13:00 AM »
I forgot to mention that besides the reduced icon ranges, the other major  attraction of the WB's Historical Arena was the elimination of "God" like look down radar while flying.  When your map was selected while in flight only, you saw no radar dots at all.  Just like the real world.

SA took on a whole new meaning......

In the absence of a true serious sim arena such as an equivalent to WB's HA, if the special events mentioned here in Aces High are only going to reduce plane selection, I'm not sure that it will be a fair comparison or that much fun over the Main Arena.

I am open to trying it to see if my opinion will change though.

Regards,
Badger