Author Topic: What are you afraid of?  (Read 1455 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
What are you afraid of?
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2004, 12:04:28 PM »
Heights !!!!

It came upon me suddenly. I had taken the family on vacation to Colorado and we drove to the "Great Gorge" ... a 1200 ft ravine.

At the "Great Gorge", they have a parking area and a loooooong concrete walkway that juts out over the ravine. I figured it would make for a great picture. The wind was blowing real hard so I suggested that the wife and kids stay in the car while I snapped the shot.

I got about 3/4 of the way out onto the walkway when something inside me freaked. I had absolutly no control over what happened next. In the blink of an eyey, my body threw itself to the ground and I found myself frozen in a prone position ... flat out on the concrete.

Took me a good minute at least to regain some control. To try and save face, I then willed myself, crawling on hand and knees ... VERY SLOWLY ... to the end of this walkway. I then grabbed each bar singley and slowly pulled myself up to a poistion so that I could get the shot.

Slowly I lowered myself back down onto my knees and crawled back to a point where my body would allow me to walk upright again. As I approached the car, I could see the whole family was laughing uncontrollably. My wife was laughing so hard she had tears running down her cheeks. 'Twas not a laughing matter to me. They then wanted to drive across to the other side. Yeah right ... a freaking wooded bridge across a 1200 ft ravine ... not gonna happen.

Since that day, if I see a similar type seen on TV or in a movie, the hair on the back of my neck stands straight up and a shiver runs through my nerves.

Never had the problem as a kid ... somewhere along the line, the "mortality" switched had been turned on..
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
What are you afraid of?
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2004, 12:06:51 PM »
Fear is state of mind.
Courage is state of mindless.
Think less to fear-less.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline lada

• Silver Member
Re: What are you afraid of?
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2004, 01:34:05 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
Me? Tilt-a-whirls and 5 gallon buckets.

A monstrous fear of public speaking and if I see a pitbull or rotweiler I will cross the street because they can smell the fear and start getting all crazy. Thank god the dude's that own them usually have huge pipes cuz the dogs damn near drag their owners 1/2 way across the street after me.

you should have shower daily, it could help :)

well i realy fewr, when im in immelman and niki is 400 and closing on me:D

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
What are you afraid of?
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2004, 02:28:39 PM »
midget clown pr0n.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
Shane
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2004, 03:09:57 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
midget clown pr0n.

http://www.drinkmorethinkless.com/hrs/bill/clown/Default.htm
Thanks for the link bud:)

:D
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
What are you afraid of?
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2004, 03:29:28 PM »
I do ocasionally have days when I get bothered by heights(maybe 5-10 days in the last 20 years).  it's not really fear, but some days I get very uncomfortable and disoriented, it's not exactly an asset for a construction worker.  if the situation allows I just tell the guys I'm working with that 'todays not my day', and I do groundwork for the day.  the feeling usually passes after a couple of hours anyway.

if there is nobody else to do the high work I have a crutch that works pretty well.  since I'm near sighted I can see fairly clearly anything within about 8ft,  anything farther is just a blur(at least that's how it was before the accident, hopefully things will return to normal soon).  so what I do is just remove my glasses for the time working off the ground.  I see the work at hand, I see where I'm putting my feet, but since I can't focus on things going on at ground level, my mind can't seem to make the distance calculations that cause the problems.

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
What are you afraid of?
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2004, 03:33:57 PM »
So Nash, If you see a Pitbull with a 5 Gallon bucket, standing on a pulpit in front of a tilt a wirl, do you just wet your self and pass out? Or do you have to take long walks on the beach with SOB to recover?

::rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
What are you afraid of?
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2004, 03:35:27 PM »
I have rock climbed and sky dived..... yet I am afraid of heights.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
What are you afraid of?
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2004, 03:40:47 PM »
"Great Gorge" ... a 1200 ft ravine

I've been there and drove/walked across that bridge. It is a great view.

:aok

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
What are you afraid of?
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2004, 03:45:52 PM »
Never understood the thrill of jumping off of high places. Even high dives bother me. I was a high jumper in high school, but refused to pole vault. Didn't want to fall any further than I could jump up.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
What are you afraid of?
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2004, 03:49:26 PM »
im deathly afraid of having my glasses fall in the toilet

Offline mudder

• Zinc Member
What are you afraid of?
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2004, 03:52:57 PM »
Afraid of those creatures that live in empty mason jars on the top shelf  beneath the stairs in the cellar, the big ones that entirely fill the jars so that their hairless bodies are stuffed right up against the inside of the glass - large lidless eyes.

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
What are you afraid of?
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2004, 03:55:18 PM »
Surprising how many people here have a fear of heights yet luv flight sims, count me in a wee bit.

Offline -MZ-

• Nickel Member
What are you afraid of?
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2004, 04:03:57 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
So many freakish things in the ocean.

I have lived near the ocean all my life, never had bad encounters myself with any sea life but I've seen a couple people get hit by stingrays and jellyfish.

The only time I have felt the 'impending doom' fear in the ocean is when I am caught inside and a huge set of waves starts coming in, and I know I am going to be in the impact zone.  Having a bad take off and going 'over the falls' is also scary, but both of those are more like the feeling you get before any major impending collision.

storch

What are you afraid of?
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2004, 05:37:25 PM »
I am fearless, it's terrible it gets me into trouble.  I fear being fearless.  thanks.  this thread cured me.