Author Topic: Flat spins... or should I say flip-flop spins?  (Read 327 times)

Offline GADGET

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/ala-10/
Flat spins... or should I say flip-flop spins?
« on: May 04, 2004, 04:10:20 PM »
Today was my first day in AH2 online.

I took several planes for a ride, P-51 (sucks), F6F, Bf109G-6, F4U-1C & D, ..., and P-38

While dogfighting with the P-38, at about 150 MPH suddenly I found myself in a vertical spin (nose almost 90 deg below horizon). I tried opposite rudder on the first 1/4 turn and only got to invert the spin rotation (now right instead of left), ... tried again and same happened... Tried with power off, and same... power max... same... power off, same... tried for a full turn... same, ...and so on... all the way to the planet.

We all know that the P-38 was an airplane hard to stall in a dogfight, due to the prop wash over the wings and tail, resulting in a perfectly controlable airplane even at very low speeds. Even when stalled, the tendency was mainly to drop the nose stright down, due to  the contrarotating props that presented no torque effect.

Well.. the P-38 always suffered from a poor flight model in AH-1, so I admited this bizarre behaviour as "normal", but then I was told by other players that this happens to almost all planes in AH-2 (could't try by myself), such as the P-51. Later my friend SGtibur experienced the same while dogfighting with a F6F, and crashed.

Any fixings scheduled for that?