Author Topic: B27 bugs  (Read 373 times)

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
B27 bugs
« on: May 07, 2004, 01:16:47 AM »
Numerous invisible planes caused by a failure of skin pre-caching. The list on my FE is:

All Spitfires
All GV's
Both P-51's
All 109's sans the E4
190D9
190A8
C205
C-47
B-26 (half cached, gives FR of 2 when selected)
B-17
A-20G (fails to load, gives FR of 2 when selected)
Ar234 (half cached, gives FR of 2 when selected)

A6M flap wing panels are transparent. You can't see through the flaps, but you can see everything through the covering wing panel above them.

Changing video options still causes AH2 to hang instead of applying the new vid settings. Alt-tabbing or hitting the Windoze key wakes it up and it loads normally. Letting it sit results in a long wait (5+ minutes) before it does anything on its own.

Ambient lighting set far too low. Aircraft fuselage side panels are almost black, same goes for the belly. Broad daylight produced some shadows on an airframe, but nothing this bad. Request a slider to set this based on player preference.

Pre-caching of skins causes a massive amount of HDD activity when changing aircraft/GV selection in the hangar. There's no reason to pre-cache anything on the HDD unless there's some sort of fault in loading directly from the .RES file as done in the past. My cache folder was the same size as a stock install of AH 1.11p4 for starters. Second, pre-caching simply duplicates every texture file in the .RES file, not just aircraft skins, wasting space needlessly. Third, it also duplicates everything in the skins folder. You may as well remove every texture from the .RES file and place it in a textures folder like some other games. You'd get the same result without the game having to do any work at all, not to mention saving a mess of space otherwise wasted by a rather bad practice. HTC has always believed in a small download relative to the game, as well as a fairly small install compared to other sims. Request this be dropped and a better alternative method be found as there is no reason for it.

Playing with the Shift-F1/2/3 options dumps the FR in half. You have to restart to get the frame rate back up.

900MHz AMD
256mb PC2100 DDR
Radeon 9200 128mb Cat 4.3 Dx9b
VIA 4in1 4.43
SB PCI-128

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
B27 bugs
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 10:24:02 AM »
Same here.

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
B27 bugs
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 11:22:45 AM »
Deleted cache folder and let the game recache everything to no effect. Some AC now have skins (Arado, A-20G) but several other aircraft don't (Yaks, IL-2, 109E4).

FR around CV's has dumped to unacceptable levels. Pre-B27 my FR on the CV deck was a comfortable 21, now it sits at 13.

View range options (Shift-F1/2/3) only control at what distance you see ground cover, not terrail detail at a distance. Also, my FR dropped in half when trying these options instead of changing based on the visual range selected.

F4F/FM2 model flap wing panels have the same problem as the A6M's.

Overall FR has dropped by 10-15 in most situations. In flight over water it averages 32 when it used to be in the 70's. No, I don't have an FR limit set.

Trees are still blocking the approach to bridges in many places. Request bridges be removed from the terrain until there's an actual use for them. A bridge in the middle of the woods that crosses nothing is rather pointless. Also, bridges and the bridge ramps are still transparent; you can see trees/bridge supports through the road deck.

Couldn't test GV's because they are all transparent. :rolleyes:

Based on the sudden appearance of large FR strikes, I'd be willing to bet that pre-caching is to blame for it. Request you either move all the textures in to their own directory and delete them from the .RES file, or simply drop this pre-caching business entirely and put up with a stutter for now. It's making the game unplayable.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High