Author Topic: CT Arena Change: disabling external views for bombers  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
CT Arena Change: disabling external views for bombers
« on: May 08, 2004, 02:33:19 AM »
Starting the next setup (or perhpas later), to bring better historical realism to the Combat Theatre, the CT staff have agreed upon as a default setting, bomber 'external' views will be disabled.

It's not to take a shot at the lazer turrets on buffs, it's about bringing a more realistic flight model and design into the fold.

I thought I'd post it here first before we implement it for the next setup and to share with you some of our changes.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 03:26:14 AM »
I'm not a frequent visitor to the CT by any means, but I think that the outside view allowed bombers in the game is a good feature, representing the ability of a fully manned bomber to have visibility of the airspace around them.

That being said, I just wandered into the CT to take a look around as I do from time to time, and the planeset looked to be one of the most evenly matched that I have ever seen. I came here to applaud whoever is responsible for the current setup, and to say that I will be back, hopefully with squadies, to fly with all the guys (and gals) that make this arena what it is.

Looks good:aok

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 03:42:45 AM »
Rgr. that Laz. I'm a buff fan myself. When I first came to AH, it's what I flew. Heck, I started one of the first buff squads here  in AH back in 99.

We'd like to think that this isn't about limiting the buffs to defend themselves, it's to immerse them in realism of a combat theatre based on historical setups including establishing an arena that simulates the historical challenges pilots and people had for the time.  We would also like to immerse the players in realism here as much as possible without drastically effecting how fair the arena is for all.  External views is a 'nice to have' feature but not essential and is more geared towards the main arena.

Everyone, please feel free to comment.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 04:06:37 AM »
The only problem is following:
real bombers has air crew of 3-10 persons. When each gunner could continually watch over the air space.Once you fly alone or with gunner you can see only in 1(2) directions. You gunner should change its position all the time to see all the areas of the plane.

In WB there was a feacher of automatic gunners that also gave you information about cons (2 cons 5 o'clock d 1.5).

You have no such option in AH however you can go to the external mode and see much more then you see in internal.

So I think it is good reason to remain with external view untill we get option of otto gunners or/and more then 1 gunner that can join your plane.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 04:59:28 AM »
bad idea.

as artik mentioned, real bombers had crews...

wb had otto...

aw had ability to stuff multiple gunners on.

as much as i'm not a buff-type, i don't see how this would make it any more immersive.

you want immersive? limit buffs to up from the far rear bases, not front lines.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 06:36:15 AM »
I don't like the idea of dropping external veiws.

Personally, I only fly 1 or 2 Stuka runs per tour, just enough to make rank.  I've been mostly bored by bombers in the past several of years.  It's not going to effect me as a buff driver.

But, I hate to see them put at an even greater disadvantage, which would result in them being used less (and less big fat targets for me).  I don't think that it is possible to make bombers very realistic simply because they were always flown by a team and we fly them with one person.  Heck, we fly three of them by one person in AH just t make their use more attractive.

Bombers are, and will always be the gamyest part of AH.  Leave realism up to the player, he can always decide.

Pro Choice!

eskimo

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 08:39:09 AM »
I am glad to see no external view for buffs!

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 08:40:07 AM »
What are external views?!? :D

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
to even the playing field
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2004, 10:43:50 AM »
i say j enable external views for all planes :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline memnon

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2004, 04:26:52 PM »
I have to agree with Shane and Artik on this issue. Two people can not watch every angle and that is if there are two in the plane. This will not make it more realistic, instead there will be no one using bombers for anyone to shoot down.

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2004, 06:40:22 PM »
Originally posted by memnon
I have to agree with Shane and Artik on this issue. Two people can not watch every angle and that is if there are two in the plane. This will not make it more realistic, instead there will be no one using bombers for anyone to shoot down.

Good, no more ubber Ki-67s and Ju-88s...lol
I am sure some of you axis guys will feel the same about some allied bombers.

Offline TrueKillJG54

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2004, 07:41:39 PM »
im an axis flyer and i dont think they should turn external views off bombers unless ur ganna make i so more then 1 person can join ur plane "1 per gun" cuz if not ur ganna be in ur guns the whole time and u wont have time to bomb ur target, and if u do turn them off most ppl will stop flyin bombers i know i will cuz whats the use of flyin a bomber when u cant see any fighters coming, and how the guns r modeled in here ull be dead b4 u can get in the right gun.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2004, 07:47:19 PM »
real bombers has air crew of 3-10 persons. When each gunner could continually watch over the air space.Once you fly alone or with gunner you can see only in 1(2) directions. You gunner should change its position all the time to see all the areas of the plane.

Leave the views please.

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2004, 08:28:44 PM »
Originally posted by TrueKillJG54
im an axis flyer and i dont think they should turn external views off bombers unless ur ganna make i so more then 1 person can join ur plane "1 per gun" cuz if not ur ganna be in ur guns the whole time and u wont have time to bomb ur target, and if u do turn them off most ppl will stop flyin bombers i know i will cuz whats the use of flyin a bomber when u cant see any fighters coming, and how the guns r modeled in here ull be dead b4 u can get in the right gun.

Here is the way I see it;

1.When you are shooting at a con (no gunner) all guns available from three ships (if you have formations or any left) are shooting, thus all "gunners" see enemy aircraft. Outside view is of no use while you are shooting!

2. When you are "bombing" you cannot shoot and bomb at the same time. External view is of no use during this time. If you have a gunner refer to item #1.

3. External view is for going to and returning from the target but have no absticles when viewing external. It doesnt take long to check for cons from each station. Most of the time radar already gives away cons position in relation to yours.

4. I never use external view anyway!

I can see why you want to keep it but I still vote to remove it.

Offline gear

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2004, 10:11:20 PM »
Well if ya gonna disable external views for a more realistic flight then you should disable the formations also.That way you'll need 3 pilotsand a full crew of gunners(HUMMM that makes what about 27 players for a 3 ship formation of B17's):confused:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 10:14:03 PM by gear »