Author Topic: Any REAL pilots out there?  (Read 3094 times)

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
Any REAL pilots out there?
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2004, 02:54:35 AM »
Ok i'm kinda tired but Umm Umm, I was talking about High School transcript, think you're suggesting i shoot for a 4 year degree before going into the service?

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2004, 03:11:31 AM »
UPS just axed alot of flight crews several months ago.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2004, 03:46:29 AM »
Originally posted by YUCCA
Ok i'm kinda tired but Umm Umm, I was talking about High School transcript, think you're suggesting i shoot for a 4 year degree before going into the service?

If you want to fly you have no choice but to have a 4 year degree - unless you want to go into the Army Warrent Officer program. You fly sooner, but the downside is you are relegated to MANPAD's magnets - i.e. helicopters. So yes, school should ALWAYS come first.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2004, 07:30:43 AM »
I'd echo that, you really need a four year degree for everything except the army.  Frankly even the airlines often look for a college degree even with an ATPL and a couple of thousand hours.  A way around it would be to consider combining flight training with college courses in a place like Embry Riddle. Or go to a flight school with an airline connection  like Delta Connection.

All of this costs a lot of money of course. But if you really really want to fly for a living you will find a way. If not you can make a successful career in something else and fly privately.  Make no mistake achieving a career as a pilot is hard work and is only for self starters and the single minded. It is worth it in the end, I think!

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2004, 12:38:05 PM »
ARRRRgghh.  Someone suggested i go get my ratings and what not before goign to college, then go to college  and instruct on my free time for $.  Sounds like a good idea?

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2004, 01:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
wolf does use his "pilot status" to pick up large amounts of woman.

hey, large women need love too.  Thanks for taking it for the team!

Why's that? Is he a cargo pilot!:eek:
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2004, 02:30:51 PM »
ARRRRgghh.  Someone suggested i go get my ratings and what not before goign to college, then go to college  and instruct on my free time for $.  Sounds like a good idea?

What is your flight experience so far? Is it something you would want to invest 3-5 years just to get "started" in for a career or is it something that you would do more as a hobby?

Offline romad

• Zinc Member
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2004, 03:56:55 PM »
Yucca, the sine qua non for a career in aviation, or any other decent career in your generation, will be a collage degree.  While a degree may not increase ones intelligence, social skills, vocabulary, spelling, or manners, it does display an ability to learn.

If you have the money for flight school, you have the money to start collage.  If a career in aviation is your goal, then talk to a Navy or Air Force recruiter.  Do your four years in collage and let ROTC pick up the tab.  Upon graduation apply for flight school.  If you are accepted, you are home free.  If not, you serve four years as a commissioned officer (manager), as opposed to a cook.  Your salary will certainly be more than $1000 per month, and you can still obtain your PPL, and any other certification you wish, at the base aero club.

Good Luck Grasshopper…

-ro

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2004, 05:20:19 PM »
Really no much flight experience.  My uncle owns a hanger and does all the repairs on aircraft for his airport (helena montana) and he also owns a plane that he leases out (he's afriad of hieghts) so he once asked his good friend (who is an instructor) to take me up for a lil while.  Thats really the only thing i got going for me at the moment.

But once again, would it be wise to go ahead and get all my ratings and certification and what not before attending a 4 year college and instruct on my free time (and i hear it would look to the guys who let you into the militaries pilot school)

Was also thinking about maybe tryin to get into the Air Gaurd and apply for the UPT slot after college.

Thoughts on this?

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2004, 05:29:23 PM »
If you have the money for flight school, you have the money to start collage.

No not really, i imagine student loans, and a part time job would have to do.  Kinda depends on where i go ot school at as well.  If i went to a  college in Helena Montana i would be able to work all my uncles connections (remember he has hanger and alot of freinds there.)

Or was thinking of maybe witchita since they are like top civilian airplane manufacturers in U.S (only if a good college is there)

Or, i could go to the local KSU (kansas state university.)  They have a flight program (think college might be where i get my plan B instead of just working on plane A) so not sure if the flight program would be for me.  And there is a local airport bout 15 miles out.  (just runs commuters to kansas city and lincoln *i think*)  

Thoughts?

Offline mjolnir

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2004, 07:23:20 PM »
Well YUCCA, others have said it already, but they're right, all the pilots in the Air Force, Navy, and Marines are officers, and to be an officer you need at least a bachelor's degree.  That said, I can tell you how I got a pilot slot out of the Air Force.  Do well in high school first of all so you can get to college.  I went to the AF Academy, which typically gets enough pilot slots for all the medically qualified cadets that grauduate every year (there were 930 in my graduating class, and 545 got slots).  Of course, going to an Academy means putting up with WAY more BS than going the ROTC or ANG route.  One of the best kept secrets out there is the Air National Guard.  If you apply and get picked up at a unit that flies the plane you're interested in, they'll send you to Officer Commisioning School and then to pilot training.  Of course, you still need that pesky degree first.

As for getting your ratings before college, I can't really help, sounds like Wolfala and the other guys can tell you what you need to know about how much money, time, and work go into that.  Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2004, 07:41:46 PM »
Lotsa real pilots play this game and hang out on these boards. Interesting... I would have never known. Only thing I ever flew was AH and an RC plane.

:D

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2004, 07:42:17 PM »
YUCCA,

Bottom line is this - your asking how you do it - were telling you THE WAY IT IS without any of the bull**** and glory. And there is some glory to it - but also a TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF BULL****. If you ever had to read the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR's) - they are written essentially in response to how people fluffied up - SO YOU KNOW its gonna be thick, and it is. And much like the bible - sorry guys, but a lot of it is dogmatic doctrinal bull**** that doesn't mean anything in the first place - but you still have to know it. Your buying into a culture and way of living and thinking - and its a HUGE sacrefice so make no mistake about it - 90 % of people that start training for their private FAIL to finish. My class starting was 115 in 1999 - I finished with 15.

Wolf

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2004, 10:08:27 PM »
Really no much flight experience.  My uncle owns a hanger and does all the repairs on aircraft for his airport (helena montana) and he also owns a plane that he leases out (he's afriad of hieghts) so he once asked his good friend (who is an instructor) to take me up for a lil while.  Thats really the only thing i got going for me at the moment.

But once again, would it be wise to go ahead and get all my ratings and certification and what not before attending a 4 year college and instruct on my free time (and i hear it would look to the guys who let you into the militaries pilot school)

Was also thinking about maybe tryin to get into the Air Gaurd and apply for the UPT slot after college.

Thoughts on this?

Here's my .02 and FWIW thoughts...

Since you don't have a lot of flight time at the moment, find an instructor at your field and ask if you sit in on some ground sessions and ride backseat for a few flights so you can get a good idea of what is involved in the training. Key lessons I can think of you'd want to sit in on would be any cross country flights for private, or instrument training, and any of the commercial ground or flight. All three ratings have at least some cross country flight requirements where they probably wouldn't mind having someone in the back, and the ground sessions get progressively tougher per respective rating.
That should at least give you something to think on for deciding if it's a viable career path for you.

As for the most cost effective way to do it...

Military;
upside - they'll cover everything if you make pilot
downside - 4 year degree prerequisite for most and you have to make "the cut" to pilot.
alternate - get any mil job, pay for your private rating on your own, have your G.I. benifits cover advanced ratings and college classes when your hitch is up.

Self financed;
Saw an article in one of the flight magazines a while back called the $250,000.00 mistake, which discussed poor choices for flight training. If you make enough poor choices, you could easily hit that figure and possibly have an interest rate on top of it.
upside - can do your ratings at more of your own pace and choose your training environment.
downside - you have to pay for it.

The big picture;
To get any sort of paying job (and the pay will be terrible at first) you'll have to have a minimum of a commercial and instrument ratings appropriate to what you'll be flying. With those minimums, you'll be very limited as to what jobs you qualify for.
Once you hit the 500 hour mark, you have a few more options.
At 1200 hours, a lot more options. At 1500 hours, add on another rating and you've got most bases covered. However, even with the hours and ratings, pretty much no one is going to talk to you until you have at least 1000 hours and most of the real paying jobs are going to require 2000 hours. There are a very few exceptions to this rule, though.

Now that the flight time is covered; any of the major airlines are going to require a 4 year degree. Most reqionals require a 2 year degree. Some cargo or scenic tour places just prefer degrees.

The kicker to all the "requirements" is that if you know someone on the inside, there are loopholes to get around a lot of them.

So, how do you get all these hours built up? Military is pretty obvious. Going the self financed route, the most common paths are either working as a flight instructor or something called "bought time." Flight instructing is self explanitory. "Bought time" is referreing to places where you pay them to let you sit in the right seat until you have enough hours to move to the left seat. That's becoming the more common option lately.

If you want to combine the flight training with a degree program, there are also multiple options. Embry Riddle, Mesa pilot development program, or Utah Valley State college are probably the leaders in that area.

If you want to try and crunch numbers to figure out a cost, here's a formula that I've found to be pretty accurate;

Find out the going rate for plane rental and an instructor where you're going to do your training.
Multiply required flight training hours by 1.5 (plane rental cost)
Add instructor cost per hour to plane rental cost.
For each hour of flight, add 2 hours of ground (instructor cost only).

For example - regs say you must have 40 hours of flight training for your private pilot. National average is closer to 60 for actually completing it. 60 hours plane rental and instructor + 120 hours of ground with instructor only, should give you a rough estimate on cost with a little room for fudge factor on the high end if you put a lot of effort into being proactive in your training. That number wont include things like books, toys, and testing fees.

If you want to see what's required by the regs for a particular rating, you can google these for the airplane ratings;

FAR 61.109(a) (private)
FAR 61.65(d) (instument)
FAR 61.129(a) (commercial)
FAR 61.159(a) (airline)
FAR 135.243 (the 500/1200 hour thing)

Hope that all makes some sense. Let me know if I can provide any more confusion for you.

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2004, 11:43:08 PM »
Well i could try for the PPL.  See how things are going after that.  If i want to go anyfurther than that i can  just pay as i go or what not.  What would be another way for a guy to get hours if he has a PPL and hasn't began tryin for his instrument rating.?

Edit: If i chose to continue after i got a PPL i'd just to the instrument rating.  Get through college (maybe loggin some extra hours in the seat before im through)  

Then if i chose to continue, i could try filling out that UTP (is that right?) slot that the airgaurd gives out.  Or whatever, basically trying to get someone to pay for the rest of my training if possible.  Seems to me CPL is a BIG STEP/ investment.

-thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 11:50:30 PM by YUCCA »