Author Topic: Any REAL pilots out there?  (Read 3094 times)

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
Any REAL pilots out there?
« on: May 10, 2004, 03:15:55 AM »
Just wondering if there are any commercial airline pilots or heck even pilots that got a private license.  I am interested in getting into the buisness and just would like to ask questions and maybe some advice
     If you guys want to help a young pup out shoot me yer email please :)

-thanks in advance

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 03:45:04 AM »
Toad was a pilot, but he retired. Now he kills defenseless birds wearing a wacky tie, and lets his dog maul them if they are not quite dead. A poor example for all brave union pilots, and I hate him. I do eat birds that start with T though.

LePaul however, has a BD5 which he is putting in a 2 million dollar glass cockpit while working overtime at UPS sorting boxes. He has like 9000 hours in it and could ban you from Check6 in a minute.

Hitech has a plane I think. His Exorcist imitation has to be seen to believe.

Anyway, don't do it.

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 03:51:50 AM »
Halfway through flight school myself hehe. Will be finished by end of summer hopefully :D . GL to ya Yucca.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 03:55:15 AM »
Originally posted by XtrmeJ
GL to ya Yucca.

Indeed. Forgot that. GL Yucca. Should be a fun trip, I'm jealous.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 04:13:43 AM »
Past tense - 1983-1999. I flew gliders, then various light singles, but had really gone as far as I could go with it. The sheer cost of private flying in the UK meant that it was only ever going to be a temporary hobby. Plus the British/European weather could be bad news for a VFR pilot, and I often did not get to my intended destination on time - spent a fortune on hotels, taxis etc.

So now I use cut price airlines instead.

Creamo - how can anyone hate Mr. Toad?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 04:16:40 AM by beet1e »

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 04:26:27 AM »
Hi Yucca.

Have you visited PPRUNe BBS? (Professional Pilots' Rumour Network). http://www.pprune.org/

Full of really friendly people who will be able to answer your questions and worth a visit.

Ravs

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 04:30:40 AM »
Private Pilot here for 3 years now. Close to 200 hrs, 150 as PIC. SE/ME.

I rent, but fortunately the club where I fly has a lot of different airplanes and has an agreement with a foundation so you can try to ask for training in some historic airplanes.

I'm guessing you are asking for professional advice, but if I can help you in the "throw money down the drain" part of flying, fire away :)

Daniel

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Re: Any REAL pilots out there?
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 04:37:35 AM »
Originally posted by YUCCA
Just wondering if there are any commercial airline pilots or heck even pilots that got a private license.  I am interested in getting into the buisness and just would like to ask questions and maybe some advice
     If you guys want to help a young pup out shoot me yer email please :)

-thanks in advance

Hope they don't mind me mentioning, Busher, Escafe, DsrtRat, Manybeer, JoeD and Cmdr (?) of 418 Sqn Hornets are commercial airline pilots.
NEXX

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 05:02:11 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e

Creamo - how can anyone hate Mr. Toad?

Well, becuase he is the devil, hates fowl, was a pilot, and never sent me BBQ sauce or invited me to KC get togethers. He fooled you too?

I am not over-reacting. You're all being
fooled by this guy! He's a felon for
Christ sake!
(to the Cable Guy)
I hate you! Get out of my life!- Stephen/Cable Guy

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 05:42:58 AM »
No, I could have gone to the KC BBQ, but the date clashed with the Queen's Garden Party at Buckingham Palace.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 05:49:52 AM »
Oh, I'm with ya beetard. I wouldn't miss that.

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 07:26:51 AM »
Private Pilot here...only advice I can give is bring money and lots of if.  The least expensive way to become a pilot is to join the military.  The worst that can happen being a military pilot is that you might lose your life...if you try to become an ATP on your own dime you will lose your immortal soul to student loans.

Creamo...I thought LePaul gave up on the BD5 when he realized that building it in his basement was a bad idea since it was too big to fit up the stairs.  ;)

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2004, 08:08:30 AM »
Well I'm a pilot, but not a 'real' pilot according to my Mother. :eek: LOL. It seems my Commercial licence is worth nothing. Ah Mothers you've got to love them;)

I echo Crowmaw's advice. Flying is a moneypit but you never really regret spendin the money.

Have fun.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2004, 09:42:54 AM »
commercial helicopter pilot.

Real expensive to get that licence, and no gaurantee's on a job after flight school.

Once you "break in" though it can be pretty rewarding. Be prepared to spend lots of time away from home, and never see pavement.

Have over 1,000 hrs now, but also own a Maintenance organization, so don't get much time to fly anymore.

Cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2004, 09:43:53 AM »
Heh...Creamo ...

I had great plans for the 5 but getting hull insurance was impossible.  Mock the panels all you want, there are some great instruments you can mount in a homebuilt.

Someone made a fantastic offer on the BD-5 a few years ago.  I mean, you have good offers...which make you ponder letting your toy go...and fantastic offers that are so incredible, you help load it in the truck!

Still a great looking plane when finished.

Meanwhile, I have my PPL..about 225~hours, just renting.  I've had it since 1992 and wish my fbo had the rental selection CyranoAH's does!

edit:  i was never building it in a basement!  Id rented a portion of hangar.