Author Topic: What Kind of Golfer Are You?  (Read 483 times)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
What Kind of Golfer Are You?
« on: May 10, 2004, 05:33:42 PM »
Curious whether Aces High people play golf or not.  If so, what kind of golf, e.g., (a) serious golf, low handicap, (b) recreational golf, high handicap, (c) occasional golf, fun only, no handicap, don't care about score, or (d) don't play golf at all.

I'm (c), occasional golf, fun only, no handicap, don't care about score.

Should amend that to say really enjoy concentrating on the NEXT shot, making it as good as possible, and not fretting about the previous shot.  

I know the rules, play fast and courteously with max respect for the course, and play as much to learn new things as savor occasional successes.

Hmmm ... that's the way I play Aces High too.  Do you play golf the same way you play Aces High or differently?
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 05:39:41 PM »
I am not a golfer!

I am the guy that honks and waves as you start your swing!!:D

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 05:48:40 PM »
My golf score and my bowling scores are way too close to being the same.

That said, yes, I try to golf. I even play in "league" of sorts at work. I've spent too much time away from the game. I was never very good and now, I'm just horrible. :)
sand

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 05:54:25 PM »
Used to play golf almost every day, when I was in Malaysia. Worked an 8.30 - 4.30 day. My bro would pick me up and we'd get nine in on weekdays and 18 or 36 on weekends. Got down to a handicap of 13.

Then I came to London and play 10 times a year if I'm lucky. It just takes too much time. Pity, cos I love the game. Handicap now a very ropey 18.

Ravs

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 05:58:36 PM »
The only round I ever played, I was invited to the local Country Club, they said I scored well for a beginner, but the other players beat me by at least 20.

Ralph  and Tim each scored 88's, Phil won with a 91, and I scored only 67.  Cost me a few rounds at the bar, and they haven't invited me back since.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 06:09:05 PM »
My Idea of a good golf game:

1.  At least one golf cart accident/roll over must take place
2.  mass amounts of beer must be consumed
3.  At least 20 golf balls must be lost
4.  no score is alloud to be kept.
5.  at least 2 hours must be spent after or during the game at the clubhouse consuming even more mass quantities of alcohol.  Shots are acceptable.
6.  No talking about wives....AT ALL

Thats about it for me.  I'm not a golf player really

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 06:15:35 PM »
Hcp. now is about 5...used be be 0.
I used to play 6 or 7 days a week...Hit balls everyday..anywhere from 200-500 depending....Played tons.

Now I'm remarried and find golf not to be quite as important as it was before. Hence that is why Im a 5.

I've shot 5 carrer 60's in my life and tons of 61's 62's 63's 64's 65's 66's - 90. I won our Club Chamopionship in 1996 with a 3 day total of 10 under. 66 63 71. Par was 70.  

I love to play with ANY skill level golfer. I play to relax now and score although still important , doesn't mean near what it used to.;)
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 06:43:18 PM »
Occasional golfer. I usually shoot in the 90's.

OK mid to high 90's.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 07:41:45 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Occasional golfer. I usually shoot in the 90's.

OK mid to high 90's.

Me too.  Love the game and live in a golfer's paradice...just no time.

I've been told that I have a very natural swing and that if I played more I'd be pretty good.  I'm just too inconsistant.

I've never had an official handicap but it would be pretty high.  

Best round was an honest 86.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 07:53:40 PM »
Golf is great. The season has just started in Finland, I hope to be able to get a crapload of rounds done this year. I usually play around 15-25 rounds during the 6-month golf season, not as much as I'd like to. I've been playing for about 12 years, my hcp is 8. Due to too little practise, I usually shoot in the high 80s, though. On a good day I might shoot an 80. :)

Whenever I travel, I try to play golf at the destination.  Here's a clip of a sweet 300 yard spoon I shot with a set of crappy rental clubs during christmas 2001 in Bangkok: http://www.pp.htv.fi/vpitkane/300yd_3w.wmv

Camo
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 09:19:54 PM »
Just got home from the course myself not too long ago.  Daylight savings time is great.....you get off at 5 and still have time to get in about 12 holes before it gets dark.  My normal scores are in the 90's.  Just bought a new driver and have used it now for 2 rounds of golf.  Best investment I have made so far.  I would like to take a lesson or two but just cant find the time for it.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 09:36:27 PM »
Good enough not to embarrass myself, and Bad enough not to embarass anyone else.

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2004, 09:37:17 PM »
I would probably consider myself a mix of b and c.  I don't play as much as I would like, but I do try to do the best I can while having fun.   At my school, those of us who coach have an end of the year golf tournament.  We have fun, drink beer and give awards like "shortest drive."

It is a fun game, but at this point in my life, I really can't see taking this too seriously.  Tiger Woods I ain't.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2004, 09:38:05 PM »
I used to golf weekly, it was an unwritten work requirement to schmooze the salesmen. Since I moved back to the country I havent picked up my stix. I am thinking about putting in a little rinky dink 9 hole course on my place. Just waiting on that long lost rich aunt out there somewhere to leave me the money to do it.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2004, 09:43:46 PM »
For some unexplainable reason which eludes me even to this day, a couple of summers ago a few buds and I became OBSESSED with golfing. Pitch and putt, mind you... where you just bring a nine iron and a putter... We were freaking HORRIBLE at it but man, for one glorious summer, we sure did love that game.