Author Topic: $2.61/gal  (Read 7436 times)

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
$2.61/gal
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2004, 03:00:58 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
It depends.

Depends mostly on what health care plan you are using and what college/university you attend.

There is no one answer to either of those questions.

I can easily afford more than that for gas. At present I'm driving a big ole' pickup truck with a huge V-10. No strain as yet. I use the truck too... most of my driving in it is in support of training/trialing the dogs. Running around town I do in a smaller more efficient vehicle.

I'm probably going to get an even smaller, more efficient vehicle as well.

Jeez, life here is great. Four cars for three drivers.

Don'tcha just hate us?

Er don't hate anyone, but then I'm not American. Just curious as to how your society pays for healthcare and education. I suppose I could buy more than one car but I prefer to go and buy a holiday house in Greece...each to their own

storch

$2.61/gal
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2004, 03:26:52 PM »
*sniffs* I'll bite schaden,  I pay for my familie's health care with my earnings.  each year I shop for the best package in health insurance available.  This warrants us
1. first rate care in the most advanced healthcare system on earth
2.no long waits for service as i've read euros and our Canadian friends experience.
3.why would I need a holiday house in greece?  I'm in one of the hottest holiday destination on earth.  I live and work in paradise.  some people come here and never return home.  I have met many like that from all over the world.

Why do you need a holiday home in greece?  The Med is cold and usually full of raw sewage in many places I've seen.  Even though quite picturesque.

Get a holiday home in the Florida keys a modest one will only set you back about $500,000.00  about half that figure for a manufactured home like many euros dwell in now.  No feces dodging here, we have sewage treatment plants that work.

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
$2.61/gal
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2004, 03:44:45 PM »
Well thanks for the invitation, I'm sure it's very nice, but it still doesn't tell me how much one has to pay for a family of 4 for health insuarance and how much it costs to put a couple of kids through college.

Offline lada

• Silver Member
$2.61/gal
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2004, 05:56:02 PM »
Originally posted by storch
some people come here and never return home.  

chmmmm ... Cuba, quantanamo or alcatraz ? :D

storch

$2.61/gal
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2004, 06:21:50 PM »
Miami you meathead LOL.

I pay just under $1000.00 per month for health care.

I can't tell you what the cost for the colleges are my daughter has a full ride so all I pay for are books.  I suspect it must be around $30,000 per year per child.  My other daughter will probably get a full scholarship also with a GPA of 3.9 something and scoring is the 1300's for her SATs.

One can only hope.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
$2.61/gal
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2004, 06:26:13 PM »
Originally posted by _Schadenfreude_
but I prefer to go and buy a holiday house in Greece...each to their own

Yep, to each is own. I had an airplane for a while worth as much as a lot of holiday houses.

But then, I don't blame you for wanting to get out of the UK if you can swing it. ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
$2.61/gal
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2004, 06:38:03 PM »
Miami you meathead LOL.

I pay just under $1000.00 per month for health care.

I can't tell you what the cost for the colleges are my daughter has a full ride so all I pay for are books.  I suspect it must be around $30,000 per year per child.  My other daughter will probably get a full scholarship also with a GPA of 3.9 something and scoring is the 1300's for her SATs.

One can only hope.
$1000/month for health care? :eek: I take it that covers the whole family?

I have a BUPA plan which costs me about £350 per quarter or £1400 a year. I can get into a private hospital on that without queueing up behind the pl..., er, people less fortunate than myself. I think I'm doing them a favour, because my BUPA plan takes me out of the overloaded public hospital system and frees those resources for those more in need.

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
$2.61/gal
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2004, 06:43:48 PM »
i paid $2.30 for 93 today. looks like the rx7 gonna be in the garage most of the summer

ghosth hits the damn nail on the head; now that we liberated iraq and her oil for ourselves, why the hell are prices higher? what the hell was our reason for going over there? all it's done is get americans/iraqis killed and its not helping our economy any. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
$2.61/gal
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2004, 07:16:15 PM »
Moose, can it be that despite what blitz and the other parrots said, this really wasn't a "war for oil"?

;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
$2.61/gal
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2004, 07:21:27 PM »
Yep, wasn't for oil but for all those barrels of WMD they found from... errrr....  nevermind.

storch

$2.61/gal
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2004, 07:22:31 PM »
Yup, covers the family of 5 including my daughter away at school.

Now, how much in percentages is your total tax burden, including VATs and taxes on fuel?  Do you even know?  mine is roughly $75k this year, not including the $11oddk in health care insurance.  That leaves me about $90k disposable and I'm a grunt.  Well not quite true I own a welding and fabrication shop and we do some pretty neat things every now and then.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 07:29:08 PM by storch »

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
$2.61/gal
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2004, 07:44:41 PM »
Now, how much in percentages is your total tax burden, including VATs and taxes on fuel?  Do you even know?  mine is roughly $75k this year, not including the $11oddk in health care insurance.  That leaves me about $90k disposable and I'm a grunt.  Well not quite true I own a welding and fabrication shop and we do some pretty neat things every now and then.
Difficult to say. Prices for goods in shops/restaurants include VAT as required by law, whereas in the US, tax is added on at the point of sale. I spend about £1500 a year on road fuel. But it's impossible to estimate the tax taken in indirect taxes. However I can tell you that it is much higher now than before Tony Blair came to power. Since then, I'd say the indirect tax take has risen by 50%.

Tell me about school funding - you pay $30,000 for each child every year, but what happens when the school needs some major funding - eg, for a new gymnasium? I've heard the Principal has to "hit up" the parents...

But don't get me wrong. I prefer the American way. That's what Margaret Thatcher brought us. Top rate of income tax was reduced from 83% to 40%, and government got OUT of the business of running airlines and running car companies. VAT had to rise from 8% to 15%, but the people then had the CHOICE of how to spend their hard earned, instead of having a nanny govt doing that for them. Tony Blair's "New Labour" has reversed many of Thatcher's achievements.

storch

$2.61/gal
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2004, 07:52:46 PM »
Hard for me to say regarding the school costs as our children were home schooled through highschool by their full time mom and the aid of pretty neat programs.  the eldest which is in college is on a full scholarship,  the middle one will probably score the same deal.  my youngest is 13 so that isn't but five years away.  That $75k figure includes my property taxes, all my estimated fuel taxes as well as estimated sales taxes.  what i am saying is that arguably (even with healthcare incumbent upon me), economically speaking we are probably better off here than just about anywhere else.  And in the course of my adult life I have lived and worked outside of the US.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 08:05:47 PM by storch »

Offline strk

• Nickel Member
$2.61/gal
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2004, 08:10:05 PM »
Yup, covers the family of 5 including my daughter away at school.

then you are either not buying insurance on your own - ie not through a group, or your coverage is minimal.  I tried one of those more inexpensive health insurance programs for small business - and they didnt cover crap.  I had over 10,000 worth of out of pocket medical expenses that year with 2 small kids.  Insurance is highly overpriced, and your numbers are extremely cheap for the US.  wingnut.

storch

$2.61/gal
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2004, 09:38:24 PM »
Ya it's through a group the coverage is good for hospitalization with a $2500.00 deductible terrible prescription coverage though.

There are 5 families on the plan all working for us in our shop.