Author Topic: $2.61/gal  (Read 7424 times)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
$2.61/gal
« Reply #165 on: May 16, 2004, 10:50:38 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
Are you saying the European taxpayer isn't paying for military? Or perhaps you're saying no European state has a military?

hello? Who commands the European military?

Each country in Europe has it's own military, no different than almost any other country. What you are trying to say is that Europe has a united military, which is false.

I could just as well claim that the US funds the European military, and is thus twice as large as we are alone.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
$2.61/gal
« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2004, 11:05:22 PM »
which means that every European pays just as much in tax for their military,

Not necessarily. How are you defining "pays just as much"?

As much cash total? As much tax total? As much tax as a percentage? GDP? What? What's the yardstick you're using?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
$2.61/gal
« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2004, 11:07:14 PM »
Idiot! I have never said Europe has a unified military

I pointed out that we (Europe) do fund a military the size of your own, or even bigger ... so your argument that the US taxpayer is paying more for defence is a moot one.

what does this mean then?

Nice job resorting to name calling by the way.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 11:18:48 PM by NUKE »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
$2.61/gal
« Reply #168 on: May 16, 2004, 11:07:51 PM »
Using dollar denomination, you're saying individual European citizens pay the same in dollars per year for defense as an American citizen?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
$2.61/gal
« Reply #169 on: May 16, 2004, 11:08:46 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
Nice job resorting to name calling by the way.

He can't help it.

See, it's the US folks that are all the arrogant ones.  :)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
$2.61/gal
« Reply #170 on: May 16, 2004, 11:11:17 PM »
. Europe as a whole has a comparable military to the US in size, which means that every European pays just as much in tax for their military, AND STILL CAN AFFORD HEALTHCARE AND WELFARE.

I like how you include all of Europe.....hey, why can't I claim all of Europe too when discussing the US military? We are more a part of the European military than you are. Your point is funny.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
$2.61/gal
« Reply #171 on: May 16, 2004, 11:12:28 PM »
Yes.

yet you ignore the fact that the US contributes more to the European military than you do.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
$2.61/gal
« Reply #172 on: May 16, 2004, 11:15:09 PM »
How so?

NATO

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
$2.61/gal
« Reply #173 on: May 16, 2004, 11:17:22 PM »
Sources?

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
$2.61/gal
« Reply #174 on: May 16, 2004, 11:20:37 PM »
How does US membership in NATO contribute to the European military?

How does it not? By the way, you never said who commands the "European" military.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
$2.61/gal
« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2004, 11:22:29 PM »
Just saw an interesting comment:

"The United States Marine Corps is larger than any single continental European army."

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
$2.61/gal
« Reply #176 on: May 16, 2004, 11:24:54 PM »
sometimes I wonder why I waste my brain power on certain people.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
$2.61/gal
« Reply #177 on: May 16, 2004, 11:29:14 PM »
Just to be clear and to enforce my point: there is no such thing as a European military. I win.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
$2.61/gal
« Reply #178 on: May 16, 2004, 11:35:34 PM »
You made the claim, chum. And your claim was the individual Euro taxpayer pays and equal amount for "national defense" as an individual US taxpayer.

What you've just stated doesn't really support that. And you obviously don't have any data to support it.

So, it's an assumption, not a fact.

Ta.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
$2.61/gal
« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2004, 11:44:18 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
You made the claim, chum. And your claim was the individual Euro taxpayer pays and equal amount for "national defense" as an individual US taxpayer.

What you've just stated doesn't really support that. And you obviously don't have any data to support it.

So, it's an assumption, not a fact.

Ta.

he also implies that Europe as a whole has a military..as in a unified force.