Author Topic: ReversalS?????????  (Read 1248 times)

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
ReversalS?????????
« on: May 14, 2004, 04:08:53 PM »
how do the heck do you do reversals its amazing i lose sight of these guys for 1 sec next hing i now they are on my six i am down:mad:  that is bull!!!!!!!!!!!! pleses help i need to now how to do this

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
ReversalS?????????
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 04:52:42 PM »
Hee hee. Been there. Here's how they do it. What was it now...heck I seems to have forgotten:rolleyes: :D

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
ReversalS?????????
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 04:57:20 PM »
Seriously, it's usually because you've allowed yourself to get too slow.

NEVER take your eye off them and keep your speed up. I used to get frustrated how guys could zoom up in front of you real fast and land on your six like magic. It still happens sometimes. It's only because they are going much faster and see you in plenty of time. If you lose sight of someone, break off down and pick up speed real fast. Even if you never nail them, it's the safest thing to do.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
ReversalS?????????
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 05:07:50 PM »
The trick to doing reversals is to play on angles and speed.  

Tough to describe, but you can get someone to overshoot you when they come in from above and you turn to come back down at them after they overshoot.

After you did that, you then fire off and hit the enemy when they are close.

However, thanks to my god awful aim, I can't hit anything past 350, so it's useless anyway.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
ReversalS?????????
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 05:55:29 PM »
jetb123 ...

I haven't run across you yet, but let ask a few questions.

Is your first instinct on the merge to try an HO ?

The reason I ask is that you state that if you take your eye of the opponent for 1 second, they are then attached to your 6.

If you are HOing .. stop doing it. Anyone that has any experience, that avoids HOs will smoke you just about everytime, in a short amount of time.

Concentrate more on your merge ... think about what you are going to do before - during - and after the merge. If you HO, your only thought is to land your hits and if ya miss, you basically have taken your eye off the opponent and are now in trouble. You have no "Plan B" when you HO.

If you aren't HOing, it sounds like you are getting reversed on lead turns and you are not compensating your entry into the merge to cut off the lead turn.

Do you vary your speeds at the merge ?

The faster you are at the merge, the longer it will take you to get around on your opponent. Conversly, slower merges will get you around faster.

If you are faster at the merge than your opponent, don't always think "flat" turn, think "vertical". If you are slower at the merge think "flat" turn and watch for their "vertical".

There are MANY ways to reverse and there are MANY ways to counter the reversal. Film some of your encounters and then post them for viewing and advice. Some/most will give you honest and good advice.

Also, watch films that have been made by some of the better pilots that we have in AH. There are plenty of them floating around out there.

Do you have ALL your 8 views and the combined UP views mapped to your stick ?

If not, then you will never really be able to keep track of your opponent that is really necessary in dogfighting.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
ReversalS?????????
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 02:40:19 AM »
If you have time to fly on sunday ill be in the TA around 12 noon
Pacific time ... I'll gladly help you work on basic merge tactics ,E management at the merge , ect ...

Just look for me and give me a yell ... or yell at me in the main or ah2 .

Slap's above advice  is a must .:aok
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
ReversalS?????????
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 03:04:28 AM »
rgr that i will be there thanks :D

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
ReversalS?????????
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 08:26:23 PM »
Everything Slap said.  

Oh, and look up some films by an old master by the name of Drex.

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
ReversalS?????????
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 12:10:18 AM »
Here's some advice from a dweeb. Until you get a few years under your belt and grow an extra index finger, try to avoid situations where you need a fantastic reversal.  Some of the best moves you ever will see are preceeded by a very stupid move. If you capitalize on the stupid move they won't be alive to make the good one.

Blow it off though - its dweeb advice.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
ReversalS?????????
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 02:23:09 PM »
The most common reversal and the one I think you are talking about would be one con (Con1) diving on the another from alt.  

The reversal will be played out by con2 the one whom is being dove upon.

This requires that con1 is diving in at a fast speed, therefore when con2 breaks right or left or just pulls a barrel roll con1 can not follow the manuever and goes screaming by.

It takes a while to judge when (con2) should make the break turn.  If con2 turns too soon con1 can adjust or pull off.  If con2 breaks to late he may get some lead.  On the other hand, Con2 does not want to break too hard blowing alot of E because he will not be able to get on con1's six long enough to get a good shot.

Once you break right, or left keep con1 in your rearview, when you see him off to about a 45 degree out your back window and carrying alot of speed turn back into con1's path and behind him.  Now take your best shot.

Wldthing has some great films doing just this and will give you a good idea on timing the break.  Do a search on reversals and you should find some.

The best plane to learn how to do this is a spitV.  Take one out stay below your enemy and wait.  The best planes to do this against are LA7, P51s, typhoons etc.

If you are speaking of a reversal after a merge, slap said it all.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 02:27:08 PM by mars01 »

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
ReversalS?????????
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 03:12:53 PM »
Mars just about took care of it all, most reversals take advantage of the fact that in nearly every case the slower plane will have a smaller turning radius than the faster plane.  The key is to have ENOUGH speed to make it impossible for your attacker to pull enough lead to get the solution, but slow enough to force the overshoot.  Ideally you want to be carrying enough speed after you reverse your turn to enable you to get a shot off before the bad guy speeds out of range.  If you're really lucky he'll make the mistake of continuing his turn, if he does that and you follow Mar's advice you've got him dead to rights.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
ReversalS?????????
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 03:43:23 PM »
Hi Jetb123,

Check this one
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~frontacs/WBStored/1vs1MergeTactics.html

If you use Google with "Merge tactics", "Air combat tactics or "Air combat maneuvers" search parameters, you will find lots of information.

Basicly merge move/tactic is very much up to your plane type & starting altitude vs enemy plane type & altitude.

Also remember that the onboard fuel load effect very much to the maneuvering performance and general altitude level (deck or 30k) effect to engine performance (plane A vs Plane B).

Offline Herbie

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.freebirdshome.us
ReversalS?????????
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 04:52:22 PM »
Check out WldThing's film on reversals.  Very good stuff.

wt

http://hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111083

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
ReversalS?????????
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2004, 05:43:08 PM »
Thanks guys i am getting pretty good at them. Got a couple of kills because of it:aok

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
Re: ReversalS?????????
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2004, 07:09:21 PM »
Originally posted by jetb123
how do the heck do you do reversals its amazing i lose sight of these guys for 1 sec next hing i now they are on my six i am down:mad:  that is bull!!!!!!!!!!!! pleses help i need to now how to do this

Here's a cunning plan

1. Fly straight at them lining up for the HO

2. Lose the merge - die real quick and  plummet to the ground in flames

3. Before you hit said ground, Jump straight on ch 1 and cry - hackerz - cheats - that's bs etc etc  for about 15 minutes

oh wait  -  you already know that one

How about, do what these other guys recommended   ;)
I come from a land downunder