Author Topic: Does AHII deserve the "II" label ?  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Does AHII deserve the "II" label ?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2004, 01:30:33 PM »
Creamo, you're arugments have been polite, lucid, well thought out, and insightful.... who the hell are you and what did you do with Creamo.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline 13Promet

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2004, 01:43:14 PM »
Originally posted by SUPERFLY
I wasn't aware that the players were the people who determined whether or not a game should be I or II.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - Futurama

@Superfly

I'm not deciding anything, just communicating my point of view.

I thought any producer to accept any kind of feedback from its users, both positive and negative being useful for products developement.
I realize now that you guys only accept positive comments, so I won't wear my keyboard any more for this kind of communication to HTC.

@other posters

I did not say that I don't like AH2 (as i don't dislike AH1, which is the reason why I pay 15$/month for playing it without being masochist).
In fact i prefer AH1 way over FB.
I'm just deluded from the very little step ahead compared to the expectations connected to a "2" version, both about flight model and graphics.

Best regards

Promet
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 01:45:49 PM by 13Promet »

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2004, 01:43:54 PM »
Dunno, always seemed to make sense to me when I post.

Should I get political?

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2004, 02:39:08 PM »
To answer the original question, yes I believe that the new version deserves the II label.

1) Completely new graphics engine.  The new engine handles higher resolution textures and supports particle effects and dynamic shadowing among other things.

2) Completely new damage model.  Parts are aware of not only that they are damaged, but where that damage occurred.

3) Completely new modes of play.  Although Classic remains the same MA-style we are used to, TOD is very different.  Granted it is not part of the initial release plan, but the support for that style of play had to be built in to the base system.

4) Completely new physics and flight model.  The engine behind the flight modeling was rewritten and improved.

The completion and deployment of just the first item in the list would have justified the II label.  HTC has provided that and more.  For a company with such a small development team, this was a huge undertaking and a very major set of enhancements to be released as the second version.

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2004, 03:06:50 PM »
Originally posted by HavocTM

I haven't seen another game with a sophisticated and easy to use vox system like we have,

Cough Cough !!

Offline HavocTM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2004, 03:09:03 PM »
Well, have you?

Roger Wilco doesn't have channels for different squads, countries, etc.

I know of no other game that has a configurable vox like we have.

Sure, it goes down if you have a sucky computer or connection, but I haven't had problems with vox in months.

Offline BlckMgk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2004, 03:09:09 PM »
Originally posted by jonnyb
To answer the original question, yes I believe that the new version deserves the II label.

1) Completely new graphics engine.  The new engine handles higher resolution textures and supports particle effects and dynamic shadowing among other things.

2) Completely new damage model.  Parts are aware of not only that they are damaged, but where that damage occurred.

3) Completely new modes of play.  Although Classic remains the same MA-style we are used to, TOD is very different.  Granted it is not part of the initial release plan, but the support for that style of play had to be built in to the base system.

4) Completely new physics and flight model.  The engine behind the flight modeling was rewritten and improved.

The completion and deployment of just the first item in the list would have justified the II label.  HTC has provided that and more.  For a company with such a small development team, this was a huge undertaking and a very major set of enhancements to be released as the second version.

Well said, was about to post a summary of AH2 is, and what it will be soon. Can't build a house with out a proper foundation.

AHI had reached its potential and HTC knew it, so they had to proceed to develop AHII (Bravo to them). I see so much potential for AHII now, its remarkable.

Supposedly, Aircraft design into AHII is to be much easier now and less time consuming for the devs and they have also mentioned a return to their periodic updates which is a plus. I really think by the end of this year we'll have such a different game that these arguments will be none existent, and things will be back to normal about with a slew of "balance whines."

-BM

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2004, 03:18:25 PM »
Well, have you?

teamspeak works good.

I have a P4 2.4 OC to 3.0 ati 9800 pro w/ 512 mushkin level 2 ram
audigy platinum ex2 audio card
and have just now started to lose vox all of a sudded !

It aint my puter people if it was it would have been happening all along .

Maybe my 4.7 Mg download 384 upload cable connection is messing up?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 03:21:57 PM by txmx »

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2004, 04:41:30 PM »
Thanks for the input. Teamspeak is a real system resource hog utility. I'm glad you posted your specs.

Just so we get this right.

You have a

[size=20]A P4 2.4 OC to 3.0 ati 9800 pro w/ 512 mushkin level 2 ram
audigy platinum ex2 audio card with a 4.7 Mg download 384 upload cable connection[/size]

thanks- it will run it. If not,  Maybe it's just TOO FAST!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 04:46:00 PM by Creamo »

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2004, 05:00:15 PM »
Lol Creamo has returned !

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2004, 05:32:17 PM »
PUNT!!!

C'Mon Pyro,Nate,Super... Toss Us a bone.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by NHawk
And this is why terrain makers are waiting, not so patiently for the terrain editor for AHII or at least the specs for terrain tiles so work can start on terrains.

LOL, a limited release Beta of the TE would even be nice.

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2004, 06:44:24 PM »
Originally posted by 214thCavalier
Lol Creamo has returned !

From under my desk LOL the little troll :D

Offline HavocTM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2004, 09:32:29 AM »
txmx,

If you have a pretty good sense of humor (and I know you do), you should check out this site:

http://www.landoverbaptist.org

It is a parody site and some of the stuff is a little edgy.  I was raised baptist, though, and I think it's funny as hell!

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2004, 06:53:23 PM »
Aces High is a ball of clay, you never know what it will turn into the next day, yet you know it will be something fun! Ah2 is a fresh ball of clay, ready to be shaped further.  

There i exhausted my metaphor of the day:D

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2004, 07:27:19 PM »
txmx,

If you have a pretty good sense of humor (and I know you do), you should check out this site:

http://www.landoverbaptist.org

It is a parody site and some of the stuff is a little edgy.  I was raised baptist, though, and I think it's funny as hell!

Thats some funny crap man.
My Dad would kill me for thinking that stuff is funny.