Author Topic: Does AHII deserve the "II" label ?  (Read 3759 times)

Offline 13Promet

• Copper Member
Does AHII deserve the "II" label ?
« on: May 18, 2004, 07:09:13 AM »
I don't see any major improvement in "AHII" compared to "AHI", neither in graphics (awful compared to any "modern" game) nor in physics (very slight differences).
Is it really developed from the scratch ?
If yes, it was wasted time IMO.
At least i hope we won't be charged more.

:mad:

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 07:20:35 AM »
I would disagree - after a weekend of playing II I can't go back to I.

If there's a better mmog flight sim I'd be quite willing to pay $30 a month for it.

I like AEP - but it's not really multiplayer.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 07:34:29 AM »
I’m guessing like me 13, you don’t have much time in it. I started messing with it this weekend to get the video settings tweaked in, preparing for the official release. After playing IL2FB for so long, it was hard for me to think “II” was much if any improvement. In fact the graphics to me look worse than AHI, because I don’t like the ground. But after selecting on some graphic settings that defaulted off, the sparkling terrain at least went away and it runs smoother.

Improvements I like already are the counter and tracers. I have a much better immersion feeling, and think it will take some of the long distance laser shots that kill me in 1 which frustrates the hell out of FB players. I’m sure there is lotsa new stuff that makes it indeed AH2. It’s usually best to try it for awhile before you make sweeping statements like “it’s a waste of time”. And trust me, I’m not thrilled with the graphics, but I will be giving the first few months lotsa playing time, and then either beetch, or enjoy it as much as 1.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Re: Does AHII deserve the "II" label ?
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 09:59:19 AM »
Originally posted by 13Promet
... it was wasted time IMO.
At least i hope we won't be charged more.

:mad:

Hehe, if it was me a HTC, I would make it so you didn't have to pay anything for ah2.

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 10:09:06 AM »
I wasn't aware that the players were the people who determined whether or not a game should be I or II.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - Futurama
13Promet and Furious will be charged double once AHII is out.  Thank you for your generosity. :aok
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 10:10:26 AM »
Originally posted by Creamo
I’m guessing like me 13, you don’t have much time in it. I started messing with it this weekend to get the video settings tweaked in, preparing for the official release. After playing IL2FB for so long, it was hard for me to think “II” was much if any improvement. In fact the graphics to me look worse than AHI, because I don’t like the ground. But after selecting on some graphic settings that defaulted off, the sparkling terrain at least went away and it runs smoother.

Improvements I like already are the counter and tracers. I have a much better immersion feeling, and think it will take some of the long distance laser shots that kill me in 1 which frustrates the hell out of FB players. I’m sure there is lotsa new stuff that makes it indeed AH2. It’s usually best to try it for awhile before you make sweeping statements like “it’s a waste of time”. And trust me, I’m not thrilled with the graphics, but I will be giving the first few months lotsa playing time, and then either beetch, or enjoy it as much as 1.

what vid settings did you change? what video card you running?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 10:18:47 AM »
e-GeForce FX 5900 SE 128 MB DDR AGP.

Under Video Settings- I clicked all the boxes.

Terrain Mipmapping
Transitions
Bump Mapping
Horizons

Before I did that, there was a hideous glimmering sparkle bush ground thing going on. And no, I have no idea what those things do or do not do.

I still like AH1 graphically just as well, but like some game changes, as I said. I don't see a diffrence but I'll sure play the heck out of it.

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 11:01:35 AM »
Originally posted by SUPERFLY
Furious will be charged double once AHII is out.  Thank you for your generosity.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Why make him wait?  Charge him double for AH1 right now!!!

Though, to be honest, I think Furrywuss was actually trying be sly in saying that the other guy should not be allowed to play AH2 and be banned from playing, thus "not paying anyhting for AH2."  However, because this was a very stupid way to go about saying it, he should definitely be forced to pay more.  Its only fair.

Offline HavocTM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 11:48:37 AM »
I think the best part of this game is the multiplayer experience.  The graphics are adequate, but certainly not as beautiful as IL2:FB or Battlefield Vietnam.

But, with the eye candy on those games you pretty much get a blah multiplayer experience.

I haven't seen another game with a sophisticated and easy to use vox system like we have, or with the level of detail strategically.   Also the maps on other multiplayer sims are usually very limited in scope.

So, I think the graphics will get there, but the gameplay is what keeps me sending in my five bucks a month.

Offline HavocTM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 11:51:39 AM »
OH, btw... I don't mean the skins when I say the graphics are average.  Superfly and the skin makers have done a great job.  I think the models could use updating so that they are more curved and smooth, but that doesn't distract from the gameplay, so no big deal.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2004, 12:01:03 PM »
Originally posted by HavocTM
So, I think the graphics will get there, but the gameplay is what keeps me sending in my five bucks a month.
And this is why terrain makers are waiting, not so patiently for the terrain editor for AHII or at least the specs for terrain tiles so work can start on terrains.

LOL, a limited release Beta of the TE would even be nice.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 12:08:26 PM »
Originally posted by HavocTM
I think the best part of this game is the multiplayer experience.  The graphics are adequate, but certainly not as beautiful as IL2:FB or Battlefield Vietnam.

But, with the eye candy on those games you pretty much get a blah multiplayer experience.

I haven't seen another game with a sophisticated and easy to use vox system like we have, or with the level of detail strategically.   Also the maps on other multiplayer sims are usually very limited in scope.

Exactly, and I don't think anyone that plays both will any regularity will argue that. In fact, after playing FB's, it always amazes me that after logging into AH, within minutes, you don’t focus on the graphics, but the game play, and how great it is. And I never did not like AH1 graphics. It just feels right if you ask me, for what that means. AH2 just does not change that much, so I at least wonder what they are up too.

I think the point was if the “new” AH, sorry SuperT, AHII, is a huge update per graphics anyway. Not that I can see, aside from nice wings while looking out the side views. HTC may have added some stuff at the airfields, but none of which you mention, make any difference to me.

Is it worth the wait and no new aircraft? Hell if I know. Apparently. They didn’t dominate the market for being short sighted, so I just trust them and will start flying again, when it’s outta Beta.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 12:11:31 PM by Creamo »

Offline HavocTM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2004, 12:11:12 PM »
Yep, I would LOVE some new aircraft.

I want to fly that magic pt boat of HTs that I have been hearing about!

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2004, 12:16:06 PM »
It's amusing to me that just this morning on another NG, someone was complaining the way AHII sacrifices smooth frame rates for eye-candy (taking the exact opposite position as 13promet).

You will never please everyone, and I admit that I'm not fan of the ground terrain at the default settings (I'll play with the settings tonight and see what I come up with), but it's just not high on my priority list.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2004, 01:16:29 PM »
It might be the ground pounding. I haven't tried a GV, but HTC makes for ground stuff. Not in the likes of WW2OL, but it may play a limited roll in the scheme of things.

Not sure, don't mean to think I do either.