Author Topic: Video Settings Help Question???  (Read 588 times)

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
Video Settings Help Question???
« on: May 21, 2004, 06:04:32 PM »
Hi everyone....

In my attempts to tweak the AH2 settings I have some questions that many of my squaddies and others are asking.....

1) On the video settings page....what does Bumpmapping, terrain mipmapping, transitions, and horizon do?  How do they effect frame rates?

2) What does Level of Detail, Display Obj Size, and Ground detail range do?  I assume Gnd detail displays ONLY the terrain and not base objects or am I mistaken?  How does each effect your viewing a base's strats when approaching from far out?

3) What is max texture size and how does that effect perf?

Thanks in advance~!

:)

PS...

Running Dell 2.0 Ghz
768 Ram
ATI Radeon 9800XT w/256 ram
Catalyst 4.4 and DX 9
Win xp pro

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 02:27:24 PM »
Anyone???

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 09:16:49 PM »
Guess not.....:confused:

Oh well.....will keep fumbling around in the dark;)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 09:48:09 PM »
The further out you set the detail distance the more load is going to be put on your video card.

There is "more performance" and "more detail" or somthing to that effect. The more performance" will give you less of a strain on your video card ect.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 09:58:36 PM »
Thanks Morph appreciate the response....

BUT....

1) On the video settings page....what does Bumpmapping, terrain mipmapping, transitions, and horizon do? How do they effect frame rates?

2) What does Level of Detail, Display Obj Size, and Ground detail range do? I assume Gnd detail displays ONLY the terrain and not base objects or am I mistaken? How does each effect your viewing a base's strats when approaching from far out?

3) What is max texture size and how does that effect perf?

I am aware of that but I really have found no one that can adequately explain these things  ( I have figured out the bump/terrain mip/transitions/and horizon ) but the other two things....really no one can answer just what each does...

Still searchin....perhaps a call to HTC might help....will go that route in a couple of days if no responses....

Regards and thanks

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 02:42:47 AM »
Have been wondering the same myself Guttboy, before reading this have posted same question in tech support - will follow this thread with interest.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 07:42:17 AM »
Hope this helps. Its from HTC's AH2 help files.

To get to the in game video settings, click Setup->Video->Video Settings from the clipboard menu.  The same options for changing resolution and limiting framerates are available, as well as some additional options.

The Max Texture Size down-samples textures larger than the selected size to save video memory.  On 64M boards and below, don't try to run higher than 256.

The Gamma slider controls gamma correction of your monitor.  

Bump Mapping applies a secondary detail texture to the terrain.  Unchecking this option will increase performance.  

Checking Transitions applies an overlay to make the terrain appear seamless.

Checking the Horizon option will show a smoother transition from the terrain to the sky.  

Terrain Mipmapping prevents terrain shimmer in the distance.  Normally this option should be checked unless you are very low on video memory
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 08:18:00 AM »
Bumpmaping is currently disabled. So the setting has no effect.

HiTech

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 10:35:25 AM »
Dale,

The AH2 Help manual does not explain "what" the sliders do...they just say more performance  or detail....could you or someone there describe what this does to help the Beta testers out with the tweaking?  Much appreciated.

Thanks

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 12:30:16 PM »
LOD:

Some objects have LOD, stands for level of detail. What this meens is that you get farther away the shape changes to a less detail shape. The LOD slider modifies this distance when somthing changes.

Object Size :

As you get farther away from objects and polygons they shrink in size on the screen.  This slider sets how many pixels and object or polygon must be to be displayed. Not this has no effect on player objects like vehicles and planes.

Ground Detail range. Groud detail is all the stuff you see in an empty terrain tile. i.e. no field or factory. There is a clipping plane ahead of your view. Ground detail behind that plane will not be displayed. The slider simply controls the distance of that clipping plane.

Textures to load per frame. This slider will not effect frame rate, but will effect sutters. It is simply how many textures can be loaded on any frame. Texture loads can be fairly time consuming, normaly after the intial start of the game texture loads happen as the texture comes into view, because this is normaly done at a disance you cant yet see the detail of the texture, making this setting 1 will be where most people will want it to be. Notice on start up how the textures come in 1 per frame untill the entire seen looks correct.

This setting does not effect textures that are used as windows, like your text buffer, and some windows that appear on the clip board.

HiTech

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 06:18:08 PM »
Thanks a ZILLION HiTech!!!!!

That is what I kinda figured through my 5 days of tweaking on my system....really appreciate it.

My system is taking hits most likely due to the MOBO/CPU.....I have a system on order to let the eyecandy FLOW!!!!!

Will keep ya posted!

Regards and thanks for the help!:aok

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 06:14:40 AM »
Thats a great thread. Thanks. I was puzzled by the "textures to load pewr frame" thing.

Is the "default" setting optimised for your machine?

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2004, 11:47:29 AM »
Fogold,

A lot has changed since I started this thread.....I have a new system...specs in sig block that has NO problems in AH2......AT ALL!!!!!

I am running full eyecandy, 1600x1200, sliders pretty much all the way to detail....and it rocks.....

STABLE, no stutters really, and the only reason I am stuck at 60 fps I think is monitor issues.....still working that...

For me anything in the mid to high 30's is perfect....anything else is stuff I personally dont notice!!!

Take care...