Author Topic: Question for Brit in London area  (Read 694 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Question for Brit in London area
« on: May 21, 2004, 07:02:24 PM »
Hi there.

I just received an e-mail regarding the plane I have for sale from a guy / business called Brooks Autos in London. Is there really business / aircraft broker by that name in London?? The e-mail seemd more than a bit flakey to me. I really don't want to bother with this guy unless it is really above board.

Can someone check the phone book on this for me?

Thanks
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline wipass

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.secestimating.com
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 08:17:44 PM »
mav, will do tomorrow, also have a good pal who lives in London who will check the address

wipass

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 01:59:42 AM »
Have you got a phone number - we don't really have phone books anymore everything electronic dial in.

I did a brief check on the web - there is a Brook's Classic car auctions however there website is "under construction" I bought two cars off the web since I'm been here - most dealers have web sites - I wouldn't get involved with anyone who hasn't.

You can find just about any vehicle here.....

http://www.ukwebfind.co.uk/dispcarauctions.html

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/

Hope this helps..

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 05:50:40 PM »
Schaedenfreude and Wipass,

This is the address he gave me.

Brooks Autos Inc.
186B Eccleston Square,
London, United Kingdom, SW1V 1PS
He is using a hotmail e-mail address of all things. brooksautos2001@hotmail.com

Frankly from the choice of words he used in the e-mail it seems this might be a variation of the Nigerian scam. The last e-mail disregarded my statement to him that we did not have a deal without confirmation of his business and a local (Stateside contact) for delivery of the aircraft as well as documentation regarding customs etc. for transoceanic delivery of a single engine light aircraft.

He then wants me to accept a cashiers check and "refund" an amount to a delivery person who will somehow deliver my plane to the "new owner" who is in Australia for the sum of $7500.00. I was born at night but not LAST night!:mad:  It will certainly cost more than that to ferry my plane that far.

This guy seems to have been cruising the net for aircraft for sale and trying a scam.

The deal was just a bit too good to be true as he was buying my plane sight unseen.

If you could find anything out about the address I'd appreciate it.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 06:07:28 PM »
Mav, take a lesson from the "p-p-p-powerbook" guy.

Go buy a junker car for $50.  Get a can of spraypaint and write "wing" on the roof.  Write "rudder" on the trailer hitch, and "elevator" on the rear bumper.  Write "prop" on the radiator fan.  

Sell him that.

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 06:57:45 PM »
Its very unusual for a firm to refer to themselves as "inc" in the Uk.

Found this but different address.

http://www.classic-car-directory.com/parts/companydetail.asp?id=98&cat=atoz.asp

Also all uk companies to be incorporated have to register with companies house, which means you can have access to all information kept on file about them.

Some info is free some you pay for.

http://www.companieshouse.co.uk/toolsToHelp/findCompanyInfo.shtml

As for their "under construction" web site, well don't hold your breath waiting for it to "construct".

A quick check with the "view source" gives us this.

<a href="http://www.atlas.net.uk" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.atlas.net.uk</a> - Under Construction

Hmm last modified Aug 20th 1998.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 07:33:43 PM by 214thCavalier »

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 09:06:13 PM »
If you don't feel right about the transaction, why pursue it at all?  Couldn't you just cease contact with a suspicious buyer or client?

I remember one time, and it was the absolute strangest request I've ever had as a artist, a man wanted me to engrave a German stamp replica in actual size.  It was from the Isle of Mann in Britain and had a swastika on it.  Seems there was a German base there during WWII.  I actually met with him at the mall (carried a .22 Beretta in my pocket) to discuss business.  Brought along a friend with me.  He said he had the actual plates and wanted reproductions made.  He showed me only a xerox copy and said the plates were too valuable to show them to me.  I told him I would need more to go by if I was gonna engrave a stamp.  He wouldn't trust me with the plates, and I told him sorry, I can't do anything without an extremely detailed representation to go by, if he wanted something like that.

Of course I wouldn't have done it even if he had produced plates (but I didn't think he was on the level...he did seem nervous).  I thought he was a nut, but was cordial and up front with him.  I told him the only way I could reproduce something llike that would be in a larger size, so it in no way resembled an actual stamp.  I also told him I didn't feel right with the swastica.  It could damage my reputation or I could get in trouble.  I refused the "job."

I don't know what he wanted, but I decided  this guy was not someone I wanted to do business with.

Les

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 03:49:03 AM »
Originally posted by Leslie
If you don't feel right about the transaction, why pursue it at all?  Couldn't you just cease contact with a suspicious buyer or client?

I remember one time, and it was the absolute strangest request I've ever had as a artist, a man wanted me to engrave a German stamp replica in actual size.  It was from the Isle of Mann in Britain and had a swastika on it.  Seems there was a German base there during WWII.  I actually met with him at the mall (carried a .22 Beretta in my pocket) to discuss business.  Brought along a friend with me.  He said he had the actual plates and wanted reproductions made.  He showed me only a xerox copy and said the plates were too valuable to show them to me.  I told him I would need more to go by if I was gonna engrave a stamp.  He wouldn't trust me with the plates, and I told him sorry, I can't do anything without an extremely detailed representation to go by, if he wanted something like that.

Of course I wouldn't have done it even if he had produced plates (but I didn't think he was on the level...he did seem nervous).  I thought he was a nut, but was cordial and up front with him.  I told him the only way I could reproduce something llike that would be in a larger size, so it in no way resembled an actual stamp.  I also told him I didn't feel right with the swastica.  It could damage my reputation or I could get in trouble.  I refused the "job."

I don't know what he wanted, but I decided  this guy was not someone I wanted to do business with.

Les

There was never a German base on the Isle of Man (Isle of Man is between Great Britain and Ireland).  However, the German's did capture the channel islands and they had a base on Jersey, perhaps this is the one they talk of?
NEXX

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2004, 10:26:16 AM »
Thanks Replicant.  Yes, it was the Isle of Jersey (Channel Islands.)

Les