Author Topic: Beta 35 Screen freezing  (Read 397 times)

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Beta 35 Screen freezing
« on: May 22, 2004, 12:49:28 PM »
Welp.. The verdict is in as far as im concerned.
The Screen freezes are still here for me.
I am convinced that the original Bench Mark Machine isn’t going to run a Playable enough game to say that it will be an enjoyable gaming experience.

Operating System: Windows XP Pro (5.1-, Build 2600)
CPU: AMD Athlon, MMX, 3D Now, ~ 1.0 GHz
SYS Mem: PC 2100, 256 Meg, DDR
Video: ST Labs ATI Radeon 9000LE, 128 Bit 128 DDR mem, 250MHz Engine Clock, Omega CAT 4.5 ATI drivers
Direct version, 9.0b 4.09.0000.0902

I have worked endlessly for 3 days to remedy the Screen Freezes.
I have tried the ATI CAT 4.2, 4.3, and the 4.4 Drivers. Now I am using the Omega drivers CAT 4.5.
I have reduced the Game video settings to bare minimum detail. Or at least as much as im going to.  
Anymore would be like a waste of time.
Video/ Graphic Detail Settings are as follows.

1. Level Of Detail: Far Right...Max Performance.
2. Displayed Object Size: FAR Right...Max Performance.
3. Ground detail Range: Far Left to 0.5 mile. (While this setting is an attempt to improve video, It is un acceptable for game play) Why? Because it would be near impossible to attack ground targets, as the targets at this setting arent visable till you are right on top of them! = Lawn dart. :D
4. Textures to load per frame: Far Left to 1 Tex Per frame.

Video/ Video Settings:
Res: 1280x1024
MAx texture Size: 128
Max Frame Rate: 45 fps
Gamma: 1.3
Bump mapping: On
Transitions: On
Horizon: off
Terrain Mipmapping: Off
Still near constant screen jitteriness and Combat Screen freezing.
I have asked the Arena on 6 occasions who was running 128 DDr and who was on 256 DDr or higher cards?
When asked If screen freezing was present?
8 of the 12 asked.... of the 128DDrs were having screen freezing.
While None...I repeat.. None of the 5 or 6 asked that were running the 256 Meg Cards were having Screen freezing.
Hello??
I think I need help.  
Or Money  
Either way.. Im thinking that my AH days are over. Cause Upgrading at this time or even in the Near Distant future.hehehe
is Not an option.  Any more ideas are welcome.. ll try anything.

Heck..I even went through the Pain of Overclocking my CPU and Video card today! LOL
Still no go.
MugZ
PS. Many guys suspect the Screen stuttering on PlanSkins being uploaded. If this is true, it beggs the question? Is this going to be an ongoing event in AH2?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 12:37:26 AM by Mugzeee »

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
Beta 34 Screen freezing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 02:12:34 PM »
Mugzee...

See my other post on SYS SPECS

I too am getting screen stutter...I was told that this ocurrs whenever you encounter a new texture or skin.  I am also (along with everyone) getting screen freezes...the screen freezes for up to a second at times...mostly though it is for about 2-4 tenths of a sec.  VERY ANNOYING...it also seems to occur when I am switching views...this may not be accurate as I switch views ALWAYS...LOL....

Some others are running much faster systems than I am and are getting the same effects....guys in my squadron are running lower systems than  I am and are getting better FR than I but are experiencing the same freezes.

I think it is a problem across the board and really doesnt matter how good the computer is....

I am sure Skuzzy and pals are looking into this very issue as many have noted the problems!

Regards

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Beta 34 Screen freezing
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 03:18:01 PM »
One thing I've noticed about these screen freezes is that they also happen offline. The first time I get within 400 yards of one of those P51 drones, I get a freeze. So I don't think it is to do with downloading, it's either a hard disk transfer to memory or a memory transfer to video memory IMO.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Beta 34 Screen freezing
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 03:34:10 PM »
I'm seeing the same thing.
It feels like it happens when textures become bigger and more detailed - such as a plane coming towrd you fast and blows by. it grows till it's close, then the slight freeze and it's past you.

this could be just an illusion since I notice this in fights where planes pass by all the time.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Dlitz

• Zinc Member
Beta 34 Screen freezing
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 04:12:07 PM »
Screen freezes much more evident with me when i change views also.

Specs
 win 2000 pro
 pent 4 2.8
 512 mgs Ram
 Nvidia fx 5200 128 mg
 with latest driver

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Beta 34 Screen freezing
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 04:45:10 PM »
Was just online in Beta 34 for the first time and noticed no freezes. Tried it offline and didn't get any there either, so the latest version may have fixed it for me. I'll post again if it recurs.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Beta 34 Screen freezing
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 05:05:30 PM »
Originally posted by Greebo
One thing I've noticed about these screen freezes is that they also happen offline. The first time I get within 400 yards of one of those P51 drones, I get a freeze. So I don't think it is to do with downloading, it's either a hard disk transfer to memory or a memory transfer to video memory IMO.

Dito...Thats why i am throwing the "New Skins" ect. out the window in my case.