Author Topic: Is one or two cooked chicken bones going to kill me dog?  (Read 770 times)

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Is one or two cooked chicken bones going to kill me dog?
« on: May 24, 2004, 11:31:06 PM »
So I bring the dog in from a walk(we have not done the surgery, but the vet did say try to keep her off the stairs and not stress the leg and that seems to be helping)

So stupid me, I walk up the stairs cause the dog follows me everywere, but this time she does and by the time I get back down the stairs she has eaten a chicken bone, prolly a leg. I heard two crunches!

GODAMN my ****ing housemates! THey leave the lid off the garbage can and then throw chicken bones right on the ****ing top??? I am so mad right now....

The dog should not be in the garbage, but damnit I always put a lid on mine!  ****ing slobs.

So now I am all worried. My old lab got them from time to time and it never hurt her, but still.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 11:35:28 PM »
Relax, if the dog isn't choking on them, it'll be just fine. The real danger to a dog from chicken bones is that they shatter and the shards are a choking hazard.

OTOH, it is also okay to go beat the crap out of the moron who threw the bones in the garbage, and left the lid off. I know I would. But then, I always did like dogs more than people anyway.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 11:38:24 PM »
Odds are you'll be OK. Dogs have pretty capable digestives systems. I've had Labs get cooked bones before; I was out walking one time and some moron had just tossed a KFC box in the tall weeds. By the time I realized what was going on, the box was empty and the dog had a blissful look on his face. It didn't bother him in any way I could notice.

However, cooked bones have been known to splinter and pierce the intestines in some dogs. So, it's also possible you'll end up at the Vet's and if it's abdominal surgery, the bill is going to be ugly.

The real answer is...... nobody knows. Watch the stools for the next two days. If you start to see blood in the stool or bloating in the belly, hie thee to a Vet. With the dog, of course.

Good luck!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 11:50:55 PM »
I gave my stupid dog a steak bone once.  5 minutes later the whole damn thing was gone.  Damn carpet shark.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 11:52:31 PM »
Capt V,
I am pretty pissed, I am temped to clock the guy but I need the place to live and dont need to go to jail...

:(  they are nice enough, they just have NO common sense at all.

If this hurts the dog enough were the bills get into the 4 or 5 grand range I will have to put her down. I wont be able to come home for awhile.

It would be dangerous for the my roommate/landlord...:(

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 11:55:33 PM »
Toad
 Thanks man, I am pretty sure she will be ok, but I worry about stupid **** and its making me feel sick:(

I grew up with a lab, she lived to be really old and I know she got KFC bones more then once... so I know its just a chance.

Godamn it would be the frosting on the **** cake these last few months have been.

Granted the past few weekends have been good but other then that, the chick you love taking off to another state and not being sure if she wants you to come is a ****ing *****.  Why are women insane?

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 11:57:01 PM »
Dune,
 This lab is like that, she can put away a huge like 3 foot long raw hide bone in 2 hours!

The DAMN dog NEW she was being bad too cause I saw her and she swallowed and cowered!

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 11:57:17 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
Capt V,
I am pretty pissed, I am temped to clock the guy but I need the place to live and dont need to go to jail...

:(  they are nice enough, they just have NO common sense at all.

If this hurts the dog enough were the bills get into the 4 or 5 grand range I will have to put her down. I wont be able to come home for awhile.

It would be dangerous for the my roommate/landlord...:(

Serious doubts that it will hurt the dog, and worse case is some surgery that will run you less than $1K depending on where you live. Myself, I couldn't live with anyone that stupid.

Good luck.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Re: Is one or two cooked chicken bones going to kill me dog?
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 12:11:09 AM »

GODAMN my ****ing housemates! THey leave the lid off the garbage can and then throw chicken bones right on the ****ing top??? I am so mad right now....

The dog should not be in the garbage, but damnit I always put a lid on mine!  ****ing slobs.

So now I am all worried. My old lab got them from time to time and it never hurt her, but still.

Any cooked bone (steak/chicken/whatever) is hazardous for a dog to eat.  However, uncooked bones are fine for dogs.  A very healthy diet for dogs includes uncooked chicken necks.

Years ago, I lost a dog to a cooked rib bone.  I simply didn't know any better.  He ate the bone and started coughing during the night.  He died the next day (internal bleeding) as I was taking him to the vet.

If the bone makes it to the animal's stomach, I'll bet the dog will be fine.

curly

*edit -- guess you know this, but cooked bones will splinter while uncooked bones will not.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 12:17:57 AM by AKcurly »

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 12:18:33 AM »
yeah she got it down fine, and is pouting about the spanking she got for being in the garbage.

I am sure you guys are right, I just worry about stupid stuff.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 12:24:00 AM »
yeah she got it down fine, and is pouting about the spanking she got for being in the garbage.

I am sure you guys are right, I just worry about stupid stuff.

Not stupid dude if you like dogs.  Saw a golden retriever die after surgery today.  She turned up with a vaginal discharge and the owner put it off til monday.  Massive infection ...

curly

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 12:29:29 AM »
almost all the time, once it's down you're OK.  there is still the long-shot of a splinter piercing the intestine (not likely at all. don't loose any sleep over it).

worst case scenario you puncture an intestine and the dog gets a nasty infection.  (they'll sew it up and give them antibiotics.  it'll cost you some cash but nothing crazy) so just watch for the signs of infection for a week or so (dry nose, fever, notice if the dog looks uncomfortable), after that, don't worry about it.

again, this is a real longshot, don't sweat it just keep an eye on your dog for a bit.

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 01:57:18 AM »
Dude I pulled a full pair of panty hose out my dogs arse once.
you would be amazed at what can go thru them LOL.

Offline Gyro/T69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 02:01:49 AM »
Dude I pulled a full pair of panty hose out my dogs arse once.

My cat once ate the whole string that's tied around a rump roast. My wife and I believed he was going to die. We did'nt know about the string till he craped it out a few days later. All was well. :)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 03:56:48 AM »
Cooked chicken bones are a definite hazard to dogs since they can splinter but uncooked chicken bones are no different than a beef bone.  Every once in awhile for a treat, I give my dogs raw chicken, bones and all.  Raw chicken is actually good for them.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song