Author Topic: 18,000 al Qaeda fighters  (Read 1756 times)

Offline medicboy

• Nickel Member
18,000 al Qaeda fighters
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2004, 04:22:48 PM »
Originally posted by txmx
RGR that And we still have a whole bunch of them nasty thinks called tacticle nukes.
And at some point someone in charge is gonna say F*** it and start pressing buttons.

Don't get me wrong I am against nukes but if we are attacked again I say the gloves must come off.

Hate to say it but it might just be whats needed to get these jihad monkeys to leave us out of it and go play in the sand before we turn it into a giant glass bowl.

Even if that is the right thing to do it will never happen.  You will never win an election if you nuke another country, no matter how much it needs it.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
18,000 al Qaeda fighters
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2004, 04:33:28 PM »
The A-Q/Iraq link was rolled out to point out the flippin' floppin' of those who just want to bash.

First the flippers told us there was no A-Q/Iraq link. None at all; don't even think about linking those two with causus belli.

Then they flop; the news says the Pentagon KNEW A-Q was in Northern Iraq playing with poisons but the NSA wouldn't let the military go get 'em. This is, of course, used to show the inability of the US to respond to a threat, to show the leadership doesn't know what it's doing.

Of course, they want to have it both ways. There was no A-Q/Iraq linkage before the war and this dang administration failed to attack the A-Q in Iraq when they knew they were there and had the chance.

The fig leaf is that "Saddam didn't know/ didn't control that part of Iraq." Horsepuckey. Powell said the Regime knew. The only preventative presence in that area was in the form of a "no-fly zone". Iraqi forces could and did operate on the ground in those regions. They just couldn't fly in those regions.

But some still want to have it both ways. So which is it? Was there an A-Q/Iraq link or not? Again, only those that have the 100% correct answer need reply. Thanks!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
18,000 al Qaeda fighters
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2004, 04:35:15 PM »
Originally posted by medicboy
Even if that is the right thing to do it will never happen.  You will never win an election if you nuke another country, no matter how much it needs it.

True It will have to waite till his second term LOL.

Offline strk

• Nickel Member
18,000 al Qaeda fighters
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2004, 07:58:04 PM »
you all are arguing over things that are hard to pin real numbers on.  The article assumes 20k AQ fighers trained and 2000 dead.  Some are probably in Iraq Hopefully lots more will die soon.  

The war probably helped AQ recruitment, as the first gulf war did.  Evidence is in the resistance in Iraq today - and the US response to maintain security.  A lot of civilians get killed and that pisses off the average joe (or achmed or whatever).  That creates fertile ground for recruitment in these terror orgs.  

Imagine if the reverse was happening in the US - we were invaded and every day we saw folks getting killed.  I dont know if Id strap a bomb to my dumb bellybutton but I would sure be willing to carry a rifle and join whatever guerrilla orgs were running ops.

So maybe there is more AQ in Iraq, maybe not.  The point is it that right now it probably isnt hard to recruit young men to fight and to bomb.  Its happenin every day.  Besides that the borders appear to be porous and who knows who is pouring into and out of the country.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
18,000 al Qaeda fighters
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2004, 08:04:04 PM »
Somebody explain to me "the resistance in Iraq today".

As as far as I can tell, the primary organized resistance is the Sadr Militia, which is currently undergoing the unpleasant experience of having their own tulips handed to them shaved thin on a silver salver with a hummus and lemon garnish courtesy of the US military.

There are the IED and car bomb terrorists, much akin to what the Israelis are experiencing. This occurs primarily in Baghdad.

Seems to me that the vast majority of the country is going on about the business of daily living.

I'm sure I'm wrong though, so feel free to explain it all to me in a single-syllable diatribe.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline strk

• Nickel Member
18,000 al Qaeda fighters
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2004, 08:06:50 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Somebody explain to me "the resistance in Iraq today".

As as far as I can tell, the primary organized resistance is the Sadr Militia, which is currently undergoing the unpleasant experience of having their own tulips handed to them shaved thin on a silver salver with a hummus and lemon garnish courtesy of the US military.

There are the IED and car bomb terrorists, much akin to what the Israelis are experiencing. This occurs primarily in Baghdad.

Seems to me that the vast majority of the country is going on about the business of daily living.

I'm sure I'm wrong though, so feel free to explain it all to me in a single-syllable diatribe.

I bet and hope that the vast majority of Iraqis are just going about their lives.  They are the only hope of peace imo.

besides Sadr's forces I think that each faction has its own forces if needed.  ITs also possible that there are a number of independent guerilla orgs at work too.

Offline strk

• Nickel Member
18,000 al Qaeda fighters
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2004, 08:09:25 PM »
Originally posted by Creamo
Muammar al-Qaddafi would disagree. He's playing very nice after the Saddam video.

Hell, I don't care about the election, but it consumes you. At your age, I cared about nothing but stuff I can't post, so good for you. Kerry should do as bad as any President. I'll just vote for him. GWB lets the ATF do stupid ****, so Kerry it is.

I'll hate more taxes though.

that is a clever RW canard.  Libya has been strapped by its weapons programs that appear to not have panned out like they hoped.  Quadaffi has been trying to normalize relations for a decade.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
18,000 al Qaeda fighters
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2004, 08:11:09 PM »
bombers in any half arse free ME country are like no see-ums at the beach at sunset when there isn't a breeze - they are a fact of life

if you think a free Iraq will ever be rid of these rodents you are dreaming -  the breeze will take them away for a while but as soon as it stops they'll return..
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline strk

• Nickel Member
18,000 al Qaeda fighters
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2004, 08:13:11 PM »
Let's see..... there was ABSOLUTELY no A-Q link to Iraq before the war. Lots of the guys that really KNOW right here on this BBS have told us so.

OTOH,

But Wait! Powell said (07 February 2003)

So that must be true, right? It was in an area beyond Hussein's control. Powell said so! Not Hussein's fault! He didn't know they were there!

He also followed that sentence with:

So, will the guy registered on this BBS that knows the absolute truth in this matter please go ahead and tell me which way it really was?

Thanks!

I believe that those camp claims were never verified.  Here is part of a NYTimes editorial that explains how the Times did not follow through on these kinds of claims from the admin.  It specifically mentions the camps and says they were never  verified or some such

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/26/international/middleeast/26FTE_NOTE.html?8dpc

The Times and Iraq

Published: May 26, 2004

ver the last year this newspaper has shone the bright light of hindsight on decisions that led the United States into Iraq. We have examined the failings of American and allied intelligence, especially on the issue of Iraq's weapons and possible Iraqi connections to international terrorists. We have studied the allegations of official gullibility and hype. It is past time we turned the same light on ourselves.

In doing so — reviewing hundreds of articles written during the prelude to war and into the early stages of the occupation — we found an enormous amount of journalism that we are proud of. In most cases, what we reported was an accurate reflection of the state of our knowledge at the time, much of it painstakingly extracted from intelligence agencies that were themselves dependent on sketchy information. And where those articles included incomplete information or pointed in a wrong direction, they were later overtaken by more and stronger information. That is how news coverage normally unfolds.

But we have found a number of instances of coverage that was not as rigorous as it should have been. In some cases, information that was controversial then, and seems questionable now, was insufficiently qualified or allowed to stand unchallenged. Looking back, we wish we had been more aggressive in re-examining the claims as new evidence emerged — or failed to emerge.

The problematic articles varied in authorship and subject matter, but many shared a common feature. They depended at least in part on information from a circle of Iraqi informants, defectors and exiles bent on "regime change" in Iraq, people whose credibility has come under increasing public debate in recent weeks. (The most prominent of the anti-Saddam campaigners, Ahmad Chalabi, has been named as an occasional source in Times articles since at least 1991, and has introduced reporters to other exiles. He became a favorite of hard-liners within the Bush administration and a paid broker of information from Iraqi exiles, until his payments were cut off last week.) Complicating matters for journalists, the accounts of these exiles were often eagerly confirmed by United States officials convinced of the need to intervene in Iraq. Administration officials now acknowledge that they sometimes fell for misinformation from these exile sources. So did many news organizations — in particular, this one.

Some critics of our coverage during that time have focused blame on individual reporters. Our examination, however, indicates that the problem was more complicated. Editors at several levels who should have been challenging reporters and pressing for more skepticism were perhaps too intent on rushing scoops into the paper. Accounts of Iraqi defectors were not always weighed against their strong desire to have Saddam Hussein ousted. Articles based on dire claims about Iraq tended to get prominent display, while follow-up articles that called the original ones into question were sometimes buried. In some cases, there was no follow-up at all.

On Oct. 26 and Nov. 8, 2001, for example, Page 1 articles cited Iraqi defectors who described a secret Iraqi camp where Islamic terrorists were trained and biological weapons produced. These accounts have never been independently verified.

On Dec. 20, 2001, another front-page article began, "An Iraqi defector who described himself as a civil engineer said he personally worked on renovations of secret facilities for biological, chemical and nuclear weapons in underground wells, private villas and under the Saddam Hussein Hospital in Baghdad as recently as a year ago." Knight Ridder Newspapers reported last week that American officials took that defector — his name is Adnan Ihsan Saeed al-Haideri — to Iraq earlier this year to point out the sites where he claimed to have worked, and that the officials failed to find evidence of their use for weapons programs. It is still possible that chemical or biological weapons will be unearthed in Iraq, but in this case it looks as if we, along with the administration, were taken in. And until now we have not reported that to our readers.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
18,000 al Qaeda fighters
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2004, 08:15:28 PM »
Originally posted by strk
 Quadaffi has been trying to normalize relations for a decade.

Which decade was that?

N Korea 'sent uranium to Libya'

Diplomats quoted by The New York Times said the agency had found evidence that Pyongyang provided Libya with nearly two tons of uranium in early 2001.

Oh, wait... I get it. The best way to "normalize" relations with the US and the rest of the world is to violate the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and try to build yourself some nukes.

Clever tactic!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
18,000 al Qaeda fighters
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2004, 08:17:24 PM »
OK, so you're going with no A-Q in Iraq before the war.

Fine by me. As long as you don't also jump on the "BOOSH could've let the military attack the A-Q ricin camp but failed to do it!!!!" bandwagon.

Just pick a side and be consistent; that's all I ask.  ;)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
18,000 al Qaeda fighters
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2004, 08:51:26 PM »
Originally posted by Rude
If our little war created the terrorist, then where did the pre-911 terrorists come from? Must have been our support for Isreal or something else the US did to make it our fault?

By the way...tell us all how the overthrow of Saudi Arabia would bring stability to the middle east and specifically castrate Al Queda?

If your going to change what I said then do it like a man so I can correct you.
But as to the answer to your question. They where saudis funded by saudi state sponsered muslim schools using an orginzation created by the CIA to orginize and recruit muslim terrrorists to fight in Afganistan. Would you care to refrute any of that? Cause its exaclty who al quida was. Pre 9/11.  Thier primary reason for attacking the US was the US military presense in Saudi Arabia. Which has now ended by the way.

In answer to your second question. The invasion of Iraq had nothing to do with stabalizing the middle east so why put that constraint on an invasion of Saudi Arabia? The Saudi Arabians attacked your country. They killed thousands of your country men. And you let them get away with it Rude.
Your sitting here debating the existance of 15 muslim extremists in the Kurdish held mountains of northern Iraq when the whole religios wing of the Saudi goverment wants your whole country dead and  has been in the business of funding just that for decades.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
18,000 al Qaeda fighters
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2004, 08:55:54 PM »
OK, so you're going with no A-Q in Iraq before the war.

Fine by me. As long as you don't also jump on the "BOOSH could've let the military attack the A-Q ricin camp but failed to do it!!!!" bandwagon.

Just pick a side and be consistent; that's all I ask.  ;)

An enclave of Iranian muslim fundimentalists that had encroached into the US enforced Kurdish area of North Eastern Iraq in oposition to the Bath goverment is now your "Iraq/El quida " link.
Man that is getting pretty pathetic. Is that really what your saying is a justification for the invasion of Iraq?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
18,000 al Qaeda fighters
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2004, 10:31:57 PM »
Nope, better re-read all of that.

You'll see I make no reference to "justification for the attack" whatsoever. That's not what the post is about.

And I make no statement saying that al-Ansar is the "A-Q" link to Iraq.

I merely said if you're going to argue it, you can't argue both sides.

The same guy can't say:

"BOOSH did not attack the A-Q link when he could have!" and "There never was an A-Q link in Iraq! It's simply redickilickulous!"

It's one or the other; well, at least if one wishes to be diatribically consistent. It one tries to put forth both as gospel, one simply looks foolish.

Note also, I'm not saying anyone here did this. I have seen it, however on other BBS sites and even from a few "famous" editorialists.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
18,000 al Qaeda fighters
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2004, 08:59:38 AM »
Ok.. so seems we have only two choices... we can wipe out every jew on the planet or wipe out every arab on the planet.  

lazs