Author Topic: Want Historcal Arena ? Well, how about this ?  (Read 1211 times)

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
Want Historcal Arena ? Well, how about this ?
« on: June 01, 2001, 11:12:00 AM »
Not quite HA that you want... but.... somewhat closer...

CM corp has been planning and working on implementing of Squadron Based Historical sceanarios within Aces High.

For those of you who flew in S3's in Warbirds - the format should be relatively familar.

We're still in the early stages of design work in this type of events, but their are coming. For those of you not familar with S3 events - here is a quick rundown:

( the exact rules are still being ironed out so anything below may change and please don't get your panties in the bunch about anything yet )

- the event participation is BY INVITATION ONLY. And... only as a squadron.
Squadron expresses their interest in particiaption - and is invited to participate.

- events are based on historical situations with historical plane sets and HA type of settings ( see settings for HS if you want a reference )

- events run number of frames ( anywhere between 3 and 6 ) on "once-a-week" basis.
Kinda like multiframes.

- the exact times and places are not knows yet, yes we do know that there are lot of euro squads.

- once the squadron is invited into the event, it is ALWAYS invited unless it disbands or is asked to leave.  

- Commanding officers of each squadron are responsible for handling their own pilots, rosters, attendance and scoring after frames. COs also deal with any personal problems within the event.

- we're looking into a mechanism that would allow squadrons to have some "guests" flying with them.

There will be a webpage soon with all the rules ironed out and all details.

For now, squadrons - please chat with your COs and decide whether you are interested in participating. I will ask for the squadron's interested within couple of weeks for the first event.

Also, we're still looking for the name for such series, if you can think of anything good, please post here, any help is welcomed  

PS. The event format has been copies for WB with premission and blessing of the S3 crew - to which all the kudos for it should go.

PPS: As some say "Something wonderful is about to happend "  

------------------
Bartlomiej Rajewski
aka. Wing Commander fd-ski
Northolt Wing
1st Polish Fighter Wing
303 (Polish) Squadron "Kosciuszko" RAF
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
315 (Polish) Squadron "City of Deblin" RAF

Turning 109s and 190s into scrap metal since 1998

Northolt Wing Headquarters

[This message has been edited by fd ski (edited 06-01-2001).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2001, 11:20:00 AM »
Sounds good!  However:
Its ver tough for me and about 75% of my squad to do anything on week-ends, as I imagine the Euro's might experience the same prob for week-day events.

I wish the world were a pencil and we were all on the same time zones!

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2001, 12:08:00 PM »
 I'm in!!

Whenever I could make it that is.  If enough of my fellow squaddies could not form a unit to particpate I'd love to join a squad of similar situation folks who gather for these events. A unit that would not mind taking back seat to the incomparable and much beloved MOL squad  

Westy

SeaWulfe

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2001, 12:11:00 PM »
So the only way to participate is as a squad?

If only I show up of my squad does that mean I have to fly solo or I can't fly at all?

I don't think I understand it correctly... but it does sound cool and fun.
-SW

Offline anRky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.domogarden.com
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2001, 12:28:00 PM »
I think it sounds great!  Much better than a HA.

And although I have little interest in joining in MA squad ops, I would love to join a squad that regularly participated in this type of event.  

Count me in!  

anRky

Offline Li`l Snorkey

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2001, 12:43:00 PM »
God bless you FD-Ski !

This is what I've been patiently waiting for to happen in Aces High !!!!  

Please don't make the mistake the Warbirds S3 team did, and make it Euro friendly !!! PLEASE !!!!

<S>
Li`l Snorkey
56th FG "Zemke's Wolfpack"

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2001, 12:54:00 PM »
SeaWulfe, right now it is being designed to be "for squads only", and each squad that participates will have to get it's toejam together and keep it's toejam together, or risk losing their place. This will be primarily for hardcore historical squads, and will be run with an iron fist by fd-ski and other soon-to-be-named members of the CM Corps. As fd-ski said, we're working on a way to allow squads to have "guests" so that individuals from MA squads that don't participate in historical events like this may participate as a "guest" of a squad who that does.

Not to worry if your MA squad doesn't get in right away, or if you aren't interested in a hardcore setting like this. The CM Corps will still provide weekly snapshot events and other events, like the multi-frame scenarios, where everyone is welcome.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

John "banana" Dahlen
Senior CM
Aces High Scenario Corps.

Offline Vladd

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2001, 01:00:00 PM »

Originally posted by anRky:
I think it sounds great!  Much better than a HA.

I agree! I'm not interested in a HA but these kind of events are something else entirely.

Ripsnort's post raises a valid point though. Nighttime events in the US are not going to be feasable for Euro squads such as ourselves.

Still, the Firebirds are there for any event which is not at 3am in the Morning for us  

Vladd

SeaWulfe

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2001, 01:05:00 PM »
Yes, it does banana.. Thank you!

I participate (when I have time) in the weekly snapshots/check6 events and I have yet to have a bad time in any of them. I have films from the ones I have participated in and every once in a while go over them just to watch it. It makes for interesting viewing when you don't have much to do.

I'd be interested in something like this, so long as I don't have to have a slot "reserved" for me because I'm very unsure on when I could participate in this.

Lets say my squad doesn't register, but I want to participate... would it be possible for guys like me to fire up a Special Events squad for this particular thing to have a "slot" reserved for us and we could participate? That way there is a possibility for guys like me that are in a squad (or aren't) to participate when they can.

Thanks!
-SW

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2001, 01:15:00 PM »

Originally posted by banana:
This will be primarily for hardcore historical squads, and will be run with an iron fist by fd-ski and other soon-to-be-named members of the CM Corps.
John "banana" Dahlen
Senior CM
Aces High Scenario Corps.

Wow, and you think customers will pay $30 bucks  a month to put up with this? NOT.  

(If you want folks to join up in something, start by the 'kindler, gentler' approach by not beginning with a bunch of threats)

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 06-01-2001).]

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2001, 01:26:00 PM »

Wow, and you think customers will pay $30 bucks a month to put up with this? NOT.

Well, that's why we're continuing with regular events where everyone is welcome. We've got the backing of Pyro and HTC on this, so I guess only time will tell if their customers will "put up with it".

Pyro's criteria for letting us try this type of event was that we build in some mechanism for individuals to get in if they aren't in one of the squads invited into this event. Fd-ski is currently working on that right now.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2001, 01:30:00 PM »
Rip, my "iron fist" statement was not meant to be taken literally. That being said, the rules for participation will be strictly enforced.

We are threatening nobody. We are trying to provide a more serious type of event for those squads who prefer that type of thing.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2001, 01:33:00 PM »

Lets say my squad doesn't register, but I want to participate... would it be possible for guys like me to fire up a Special Events squad for this particular thing to have a "slot" reserved for us and we could participate? That way there is a possibility for guys like me that are in a squad (or aren't) to participate when they can.

That's one idea we've been thinking of. Fd-ski is tasked with coming up with a reasonable solution, so we'll gladly accept any constructive idea like that.  

funked

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2001, 02:58:00 PM »
SW in S3 we had many guys in situations like yours (I was one) who participated by becoming a guest of one of the participating squads.  Basically you become a member of one of the historical squads for event purposes only.

Offline Otter

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2001, 03:49:00 PM »

Originally posted by banana:

We are threatening nobody. We are trying to provide a more serious type of event for those squads who prefer that type of thing. [/B]

Yeah sure...made me feel all warm and fuzzy...hey! I already am warm and fuzzy...

------------------
Otter