Author Topic: Nightmarish stick.cfg  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Happy1

• Nickel Member
Nightmarish stick.cfg
« on: May 27, 2004, 01:01:07 PM »
Hello all  :)  I've a wee bit of a problem that has grown to gigantic
proportions  :(   I've Deleted, Removed & Erased my "Stick.cfg"
file, all that done on numerous occasions even saving the file by
assigning.bak or renaming it, BUT it creeps back into my settings
file  :mad:  thereby screwing up my flying, aiming & all attendant
nuances that caused me to attempt to remove it!

What it does is OVERRIDE my present stick.cfg ... I just can't get rid of it... I even setup a new settings file in the hopes of getting
rid of it, but Lo & Behold, guess what takes over in the 1st few minutes of gameplay... Yep ,,, u guessed it...the errant stick's back

Skuzzy or any1 can u pls help me with this, to me, monumental problem.  Thx :cool:

Happy1  :D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Nightmarish stick.cfg
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 04:23:27 PM »
LOL

Aces high on startup will create a new stick.cfg if it doesn't find one.

You can't delete it without it creating a new one. Same for renaming it.

What I don't understand is why you want to remove it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Nightmarish stick.cfg
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 04:29:09 PM »
Like Ghosth said, the file will be created, if it does not exist, by Aces High.

If you are having a problem with your stick, the 'stick.cfg' file would have little to do with it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Happy1

• Nickel Member
Nightmarish stick.cfg
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 08:40:36 PM »
Thx much Ghosth & Skuzzy:) for the clarification to my problem, I
now fully understand why this stick.cfg file keeps reappearing.  I was under the impression that if I didn't like the file all I had 2 do is to delete it, never to be used again, & in its place put in a new
stick.cfg file.

What I don't understand is why & how does the deleted file REPLACE a NEW stick.cfg file whilst I'm in the middle of a game
:confused:   THAT's the problem!

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
Nightmarish stick.cfg
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 10:08:44 PM »
Right click the file & go to properties and make sure it's not set to read only.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Nightmarish stick.cfg
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 07:04:48 AM »
You can replace it with a good one if you like.  But the game needs it there to work.

I'm sure the second it doesn't see it, it creates a new one.

Instead of taking the brute force approach, why aren't you just editing it?

What joystick have you got?

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Nightmarish stick.cfg
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 08:02:58 AM »
Happy1 did you delete the stick.cfg when AH was running or did you delete it with AH started ?
Because in the later case it's normal the new stick.cfg get overwrite.

Offline Happy1

• Nickel Member
Nightmarish stick.cfg
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 12:13:37 PM »
:) Ghosth ... tried editing it...doesn't seem to work, after a period of time it reverts back to what I didn't want  :(

;) straffo ....generally the trouble begins when I'm in the middle of the game... the signs are my stick becomes too loose & weaves.
Upon checking in Setup I find that the REMOVED/DELETED/ERASED
& .BAK stick.cfg has TAKEN OVER the stick.cfg I've had in place.

Prior to deleting or replacing ANY stick.cfg file I make sure I name them ie ...Lousystick.cfg then I'll put in another stick.cfg to my liking.

zmeg ... did as per ur suggestion the errant file is like the present
chgd stick.cfg...none are marked "Read" only, the deleted file is
marked "Archives".

What makes it a real nuisance is when the bad stick.cfg file takes over is it forces me to logoff, access my settings folder, delete or
.bak the problem-causing file, place the over-ridden file back thence  back to the game  :confused:   this repeats itself several times in the game  ... no fun people!  :mad:

;) Ghosth ... 4got to answer ur question .... my stick is Wingman
Extreme Didital 3D Pro.

TY AH Cmnty I sincerely DO APPRECIATE ur helping me, hopefully,
this pain in the arse is going 2b resolved soon  :aok

Pls note: 5th paragraph 2d line ..I meant to logoff from AH arena.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 12:16:05 PM by Happy1 »

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Nightmarish stick.cfg
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 12:21:52 PM »
Sounds to me that what is happening is the setting don't stay locked as he set them and reverts to a set-up that is unflyable.

Either the calibration slips, or the sliders in the set-up get changed by themselves. I've had my rudder center spot move 15% to the left many a time, and after checking things out found that the calibration is still set in windows, but is off center in only AH. I recalibrate, and all is well....till the next time.

As for a solution for Happy, Im at a loss. Iv tested his setting on my computer, adjusted them and sent them back to him, were upon he said things worked great. Why his setting keep going south, I just can't figure out.

Sorry Happy1 :(

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
3D PRo's
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 06:25:30 AM »
Man, this 3 D pro stick is loads of trouble.  As a stick it's great but in AH it's a real pi$$er:mad: .  Part of the problem is the SELF calibration feature that comes with the 3D PRO...AH settings don't like it:rolleyes:

My best advice is BIN the stick .... untill then try this.

Get the new driver file from Wingman site ( 4.40 I think ).  Remove stick ( add remove ) go device manger and delete whats left.  Go to C: local files \ programs and delete Profiler.  Then go to AH folder and delet stick.cfg.

Install 3D pro again.  In profile maker make a new profile called stick.cfg using NOTEPAD (as instructed in profile maker tuturial under help).  Export that file to AH settings folder.

Open AH off line go to setup \ joystick (not calibration). NOW... from LEFT to middle to Right high lite each input and "SET INPUT" and apply.... each one in turn.  Roll pitch throttle rudder hat.  Don't press set All Inputs.  It don't work.  Each one do individual.
Now your stick will work for umm....a good few hours:rofl .  My stick has worked for a hole day like this on other occasions it's gone Tits after 2 hrs.

If you have problems inflight try this ... Unplug the stick from the back off the PC.  3 D Pro re- calibrates itself when you plug it back in.  Problem is you will have to go to desk top and click the Re-Try message that the profiler kicks out.  Then you may have to set those bloody Inputs again:mad:.  

Another thing  each time  before you start AH delete the stick.cfg You will have to start the profiler and export that bleeding stick.cfg again and do the off line "SET INPUTS".:rolleyes:

Untill you get a new stick  best of LUCK:aok

LYNX

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
Nightmarish stick.cfg
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2004, 06:16:46 PM »
This may sound kinda wacked, but can u use the stick without any profiler??? Calibrate in windows and then in AH so that the only commands it gets are from AH?? I never have used any of the profilers with my sticks. I have used MS sidewinder FF, and precision pro, Saited cyborg 3D and currently the X-45 without any problems. A longshot but ........
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
Nightmarish stick.cfg
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004, 06:30:26 PM »
SNO, I have had a great deal of experience with this stick (logitech extreme digital 3D) and I can verify that it is indeed a piece of crap.

You can use it without the profiler, and I did. Although I didn't experience what Happy is going through with the stick files, the symptoms present on the stick were the same.

I went through 3 of these sticks. Each would last a few months at best. Mostly the rudders would go (in fact in less than a month I would lose rudder) first. I got real good at flying and fighting without rudder control though. hehe.

Bottom line is, I doubt this stick is going to get better. I don't believe there is a possible way to make it stay calibrated. It is a dud.

cheers,

RTR
The Damned

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Nightmarish stick.cfg
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2004, 10:10:51 PM »
I got rid of my 3D PRO now.  Just got a bog standard stick.  Plugged it in off we go.  No hassle no messages just GREEAAAT !!:D

The problem is the AUTO SELF CALIBRATION feature that comes with the 3D PRO.  It thinks AH is not calibrated.  AH thinks the 3D PRO is not calibrated.   2 programs having a virtual tug of war, with the owner as Piggy in the middle:mad:

I missed most of this afternoon ar$ing around yet again with the 3D PRO trying to get it to work.  It did for about 2 or 3 sorties then i had to do it all again.  Got fed up going ounk ounk.. ripped the blasted stick outta me PC ... deleted everything about it, marched down the store and chucked it back at um;) .

For peice of mind GET shot of the blasted thing.  AH ain't going to re-write stuff for just for 1 make of stick.   Put the thing in it's box go back to where you got it and exchange it:aok .

LYNX

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Nightmarish stick.cfg
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2004, 02:01:45 AM »
I believe this is a suitable solution for wife-ack also.

Offline Happy1

• Nickel Member
Nightmarish stick.cfg
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2004, 09:33:31 AM »
:) Gentlemen  :)  the problem is FINALLY solved by my purchase of
CH Fighterstick USB .... Hip Hip Hooray ..... now even my game has improved in the kill rate  :aok

The game has become fun for me again!  The answer is/was in the Joystick, now I've a Wingman Extreme 3D & two(2) Wingman
Extreme Digital 3D Pros waiting 2b junked in my garage.

Thx to everyone attempting to come to a solution with my prior
problem, ur efforts are most appreciated.  :cool:

Cheers,