Author Topic: Please return open channel  (Read 12331 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Please return open channel
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2004, 08:31:23 PM »
In fact if players could only read those frequencies they have selected and not be forced to read the ones they have not??????

Then in the drop down list you could even have a series of titles not unlike the ones on this BB!

squad,
local,
country,
tech help
training,
chat
O club
etc etc

Only when cod speaks should we be forced to listen or read
Ludere Vincere

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2004, 08:49:53 PM »
how am I supposed to make fun of Gixer and Joc in public now?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2004, 09:02:23 PM »
How am I now supposed to know when to watch out for Ack-Ack without checking the roster all the time? ;)
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2004, 09:08:12 PM »
I like Morpheus' idea.  Restore channel 1, but make it squelched by default.  This means that anyone who turns it on wants it to be on, and has no grounds for complaint.  As has been stated many times in this thread, there are legitimate uses for an easy-to-use, identifiable, public channel.  

Furthermore, I like my idea of putting a 100 mile range on the radio channels, in order to filter out the less relevant (more distant) events.  When the number of players on a channel is over 100 or so, you experience information overload.  

My 3 cents...

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2004, 09:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by MoRphEuS
Here's an IDEA.

Why doesnt Hitech make Ch1 off by default. And when one enters the game, he or she has the option of turning it on or off?

Seeing as we are looking, already, for new channels to talk on. Why not keep the one we already had (Channel 1)  but make it an option and a physical choice to turn it on when one enters the game or at any point during your on line time???

Exactly!

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2004, 10:30:18 PM »
Channel 200 is now the old channel 1:D

Cya there:D

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2004, 10:42:36 PM »
Originally posted by WilldCrd
Granted alot arent but I was on just alittle while ago
Anyways most of the folks were on 200

Hiya Card
What i did when taking the Poll is this.  Started film (Which i hope is viewable when Film Viewer is activated) than took the poll, Jumping to each country then typing the question in the text buffer. Just wondering if you used some similar method to get good documentation? This chan 1  issue has actually gotten my attention. And im quite curious as to how many actually are effected negatively with ch1 silenced.
:)

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2004, 11:25:00 PM »
If HiTech ever polled this matter, I'd want an open cross country channel.

I have old friends and new friends on other countries with whom I enjoy talking.  A good 1v1 with a good stick deserves a and a quick debriefing.  I've learned a lot about fighting after getting my butt kicked and asking questions afterward, including with HiTech when he had time to fly.

Sure, Channel 1 sometimes gets tiresome.  For that matter, so does Channel 2 and so does Squad channel.  I can squelch Channel 1 for about fifteen minutes and it's all calmed down.  True idiots really have a short attention span I've learned.  No biggie.

I can live without Channel 1.  I can live better with it.

HONK!
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2004, 12:32:08 AM »
In retrospec, I'd like to apologize for the "wet brain remark."
I wasn't trying to be mean - just colorful :)  Being a little "wet brained" myself when I wrote that,  it may have been a wee bit obnoxious. It was meant as a friendly jab, nothing more.

Suffice to say I think channel 1 is a long standing tradition, and I will miss it much. Biggest compliment in the world is to be called "a cheating hacker." I'd like to think most of the arena hears it, if I ever get good enough :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 12:43:40 AM by TweetyBird »

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2004, 12:51:19 AM »
>>I believe the vulgarity, racial slurs and bizarre behavior by those using it as a personal conversation tool detracts from the game. <<

I couldn't agree more, but I think a better fix would make such foolishness a one time offence (i.e., you do it and you lose ch1 permanently).

>>Why doesnt Hitech make Ch1 off by default. And when one enters the game, he or she has the option of turning it on or off?<<

Excellent suggestion imo. It would remove the need for HTC to babysit, and keep the long standing tradition of Ch1 whinning :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 12:56:39 AM by TweetyBird »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2004, 01:13:55 AM »
Only thing is its probably a pretty safe bet that the majority of players couldnt care less about whats typed on channel 1 and by placing the "shoe on the other foot" and making again what probably is the majority of players type out the squelch command. Is simply wetursing the few that complain about it.

Like I said before. I rarely pay any attention to the text buffer at all and wouldnt mind if it went away completely. I'd actually like a way to turn the whole thing off as it very presence I find annoying.
But I think a better and more fair approach all the way around would be to have a way to either turn Chan 1 on or off individually in the same way you would set the stall limiter or tracers.
Then like those things.Those that want it can have it. those that do not, dont have to

Originally posted by Mugzeee
Well put Wolf. It simply means that the shoe will be on the other foot. Before we had to go through the act od typing (.squelch 1) Now the the guys that like Ch1 and all that goes with it, will have to take the time to type in a channel they can talk acroos the country boundries.
Therefore one would have to asume. That some guys are bothered that they have to now select a channel by the act of typing it in. But it didnt bother them a bit when others had to de-select ch1.
Yep..its time for the Ch1 lovers to be annoyed with the task of selecting a channel where they can "Salute" :rolleyes: each other on. rofl. Apperently they havent been watching the same ch1 for the last 6 months that the rest of us have. Im sure i have piles and piles of film of those "" exchanges. Or could it be i have mountians of film of the oppisite behavior? Im bettin the latter is more likely.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2004, 01:47:03 AM »
Originally posted by MoRphEuS
LOL Slapshot! Classic :D

Here's an IDEA.

Why doesnt Hitech make Ch1 off by default. And when one enters the game, he or she has the option of turning it on or off?

Seeing as we are looking, already, for new channels to talk on. Why not keep the one we already had (Channel 1)  but make it an option and a physical choice to turn it on when one enters the game or at any point during your on line time???

I like this idea much better than the idea of picking a channel in the 200-299 range.  As said by someone else in the thread, it would keep channel 1 a different color from the 100-299channels.  Maybe something as simple (if it would be simple to code) that any radio channel tuned to channel 1 be automatically changed to channel 2 on login.  It already does something like that if you have someone tuned private and they aren't on when you log on, or if they log off while you still have them tuned private (I think it defaults you to channel 1, so it would have to default to channel 2 now).

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2004, 01:55:30 AM »
Make channel 1 work  as a range channel. You can only talk across sides with the folks in range of you. That way if at a1 tif the talk is of politics you can move to a15.

You can also always squelch 1 and/or particular players.

This will help cut down on the over all noise, instead of hearing 500 folks blathering on channel 1 you only hear the guys in close proximity to you. This will allow for the salutes and some smack talking....

We gotta keep the friendly smack talking, nothing fuels a good fight like hate...

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2004, 02:00:36 AM »
i think its a mistake
and HT try to do shortcut ;-)
Much better would be just another option in setup menu, same place where you can tur on/off tracers, stall limiter..............
Option "TURN CHN 1 OF" . Just to not force lazzy guys to type each time when they enter AH ".squelch 1"

Turning off cross country channel will hurt mostly new players. WHo allways ask silly questions on chn 1. NOw who will tould them to turn on chn 200?
Is faster and more possibly to get answer from one or two persons  on chn1 then from countrymen.

Anyway, turning of chn1 will end era of fun.
But im sure people will find new way to go around this ;-)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2004, 03:00:58 AM »
Range vox next, please by all that's holy let me turn range vox OFF!