Author Topic: Please return open channel  (Read 12332 times)

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Please return open channel
« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2004, 02:03:27 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
It is unfortunate, I think.

Agreed. While HT and Pyro have a point at prime time USA and on the weekends, those of us that fly USA mornings have only about 175-200 max in the arena. There are actually good discussions and joviality during that time--and the peer pressure needed to tone down offenders.

It's a shame that folks flying only 30% of the time have dictated the other 70%. I'll miss it.

h

Offline AWCHKRS

• Copper Member
« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2004, 03:06:55 PM »
Originally posted by Flit
Just so ya know checkers, I don't have any kids
 But , there are still lots of people who don't use headphones(which I do, use headphones, that is)
TV has the FCC
movies has a membership card which restricts the ability of which movies can be rented by minors
 Internet has software that can block(tho not very well)
 the point I'm trying to make here is that I'm not willing to pay $15 bucks a month to hear trash talk.
 I'm also not willing to promote this game to kids the way channel 1 was being abused.
 If I wanted to do that, I'd go play quake or c/s on a free server
 Supposidly the average player age in this game is @ 40.
 you'd think people would act thier age, but obviously there are lots of people woh think that being "on the internet" gives them free reign to talk trash anonymously with no repercussions.
 well guess what-HT nailed it on the head with his last post.
 there are too many boneheads for the community to police itself,otherwise it would have happened already.
 when some Kid(14-16) starts too play this game and sees the crap on 1, they think,cool, just like quake, I can say anything I want and nothing will happen.
 all that has happened is that HT has "taken the batteries from the remote" so you don't see that stuff when you first log in.
 The interesting thing will be to see what happens once AH2 starts, as I got a feeling that most of the pottymouths won't be able to afford to upgrade.
 as for the ability to communicate-- /. 200
it ain't that tough

FLIT , I agree with you,  on all your points  , except the one about "junior looking over some players shoulder " .... That falls right on the  Parents of the children .

I also am one of the players that play alot in the very early morning that Horn refers to,  and he is correct in his statement that the arenas are kinda empty and  alot of 'cool chatter " is on CH1 during those early am hours .

Too bad hard-core crap talking  has won-out,  and cost the community CH 1 ,  over options in the game . .......
Anyway It's a dead issue now .............

Regards ...............
 CHECKERS .........

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2004, 03:34:41 PM »
Originally posted by AWCHKRS
Seems to me that it is the parents responceabitity to have control over what their children look or listen to on the internet ,  .......

That may be; but if I as an adult have no control over some one squeeling "why no check six, you mother ****ing piece of ****; I bet you're wife's a ****ing potato too!"; that it's a bit unfair to expect a parent to prevent it.

Control. That's what this is all about.

I want control over whom I speak to. I have it in real life; and I want it here too.

Please; HTC:

1) Give me the option to choose Ch.1 or not.

2) Give me the option to have range vox or not.

3) Give me the option to click "show new threads" ( _especialy_ in times of Beta) with out the O club showing up.

I don't want to limit any one else's fun at any time; I want to have control over my own.

Offline FBRaptor

• Copper Member
      • http://www.freebirdshome.us
« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2004, 04:38:59 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
To those who think this is a knee jerk reaction. It's not, I wrote the stuff to disable channel 1 on april 13.

We had been planing on disabling channel 1 over the last year. Had AHII not frozen AHI code it would have been implemented in AHI some time ago.

To those who think we do not understand communication in online games, we do. It's was not a simple choice to disable channel 1, Pyro and I have playing online for close to 15 years, we well understand the chat roll/fun of channel 1.

As AH has evolved and grown some problems have changed the game dynamics. When we had 300 people in an arena the world was small enof where peer pressure and us getting involved could keep the down side of channel 1 in check. Now with 700 online, people start to feel anonymous and feel they have rights to abuse things.

2. The volumn of trafic has changed and starts to become overwhellming. Anyone rember when I removed kill messages and changed them to end of sortie only? This was also to dimisish text trafic.

So the sky is not falling, We just decided the the detriments of channel 1 outwighed the advantages.

1 thing we might implement is a .s GameId command, this would then brodcast GameId over channel 1 even with it disabled.

HiTech

Thank you hitech for your very cordial and proffesional response.

I do not agree or like the fact that it looks like there will not be code written to allow channel 1 to be turned on or off at each players discretion in order to keep all players in the game satisfied one way or the other however I for one will not keep beating this horse or offering suggestions that have already been mentioned. I believe that after all that has been written by everyone on this post, there is really nothing left to say.

The ball is in your court......in fact it is your ball :D

Please continue to give some thought to what so many are requesting. The .s command seems ok but really will not resolve the communication factor loss.

Again, Thank you for your courteous and proffesional response to our concerns. FBRaptor

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2004, 05:17:38 PM »
Raptor the point is by tunning 200 it can still be the global chat channel. Changing 200's color I am cosidering but the big difference is you have to make a very small effort to tune to 200.

Funny no one even considered that voice is also be live on channel 200?

HiTech

Offline acetnt367th

• Copper Member
« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2004, 05:25:02 PM »
Channel 200 is the same as having channel 1 - big deal - if you want it - tune to 200, if not don't.

Can't see the problem here

Acetnt

...................ducks under the tracer fire

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2004, 05:34:25 PM »
Hitech....I realized that 200 can be an open talk channel as well but choose not to use it because I'd rather talk to my squaddies...

And I agree with ya....It takes SOME SORT of effort to tune that up...so it is more of a conscious decision on the USER to recieve the content from that channel!

Any hints on when its going live....just a joke!  Keep up the tweaking and Im sure it will be great when you do!:)

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #172 on: June 01, 2004, 06:03:45 PM »
Originally posted by guttboy
It takes SOME SORT of effort to tune that up...so it is more of a conscious decision on the USER to recieve the content from that channel!
At least once it is tuned it stays there until you change it, so it's not something you need to do every time you log on.  A decent compromise I guess and hopefully it will take off.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #173 on: June 01, 2004, 06:21:31 PM »
I have had to squelch channel 1 most of the time for over 2 years.
So long channel one!

Squelch list next please.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #174 on: June 01, 2004, 06:22:12 PM »
...Funny no one even considered that voice is also be live on channel 200?

HiTech

...wait.  How is that going to cut down on traffic again?

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #175 on: June 01, 2004, 06:34:06 PM »
Changing 200's color I am cosidering but the big difference is you have to make a very small effort to tune to 200.

HiTech

HiTech,

I know Iv mentioned this before,  but would it be possible to have some type of color slider to change some of the Yellow Text Channels (100-299)   Maybe even if its just changes the shade of Yellow between radios.  

Lets Say Im tuned to 165 and 170,  its would be easier to tell at a glance which channel the message was on if the color was different.    

If your working on text colors maybe its something you can do without alot of trouble,  If its a can of worms,  forget it   :)

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #176 on: June 01, 2004, 10:19:23 PM »
Raptor the point is by tunning 200 it can still be the global chat channel. Changing 200's color I am cosidering but the big difference is you have to make a very small effort to tune to 200.

HiTech

Actually i have. But thought there was enough to chew on with the text subject :D
HT...As anyone can see, HTC has put a lot of thought into this issue. :aok

Offline FBRaptor

• Copper Member
      • http://www.freebirdshome.us
« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2004, 11:42:18 PM »

HiTech

200 will work for me, thanks again for showing concern for our concerns.

If you do change 200 color (I hope you do) to tell if the chat is from open channel, may I suggest white just as the old open channel was white. It was a good choice in color to begin with because it is the easiest color to ignore if I want to. The other colors I always pay attention to because it is coming from people I directly am in contact with like squad, and alt squad.

BTW what will the squad limit on members be in AHII? We need to decide if we will need to maintain 2 squads to fit our numbers or if we can fit everyone into the same squad (which would be nice). We currently have 44 members.  Thanks, FBRaptor

http://www.freebirdshome.com

Offline Flit

• Silver Member
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2004, 11:55:48 PM »

HiTech

any chance we could get another button to push ?
 i.e. f12 for range
      t for channel
     ? for squad channel

?
 or something ?

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #179 on: June 02, 2004, 03:55:16 AM »

1 thing we might implement is a .s GameId command, this would then brodcast GameId over channel 1 even with it disabled.

HiTech

Would be nice......... could you make it so its also accessable with out need for a dot command (given you do it that is)

I note channel 1 was on last night................ and strangely lacking in trash talk for the period I was on.
Ludere Vincere