Author Topic: Intel integrated Vid question....  (Read 239 times)

Offline Sabre1

• Zinc Member
Intel integrated Vid question....
« on: May 27, 2004, 02:48:27 PM »
OK, I have the stupid low end Intel Integrated Video in my stupid Dell. I have tried two diffirent video cards, but the integrated one keeps overriding the new ones. With the integrated video it gives me the Video card doesn't support Hardware T&L error.

Is there a way to shut off the Integrated Video?

The Dell tech support was a joke. The Techs (I use the term loosely) first idea was to sell me more RAM. Then he wanted to sell me a faster processor (currently have 1.8ghz, P4). When I asked how that would solve my video card problem........his respose was that it would make my computer run faster.

I call Dell a second time, to try and get another Tech. After putting me on hold time and time again, to go read his manual, he finally decides that I can't shut the Integrated card off, but Dell can upgrade my motherboard and processor for a couple hundred bucks.

Do I have any options with this computer? Or is my AH career over?

Sabre1

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 03:27:57 PM »
Typically, if the onboard video can be disabled, it would be either in the BIOS rom setup utility or via an onboard jumper.

If it is in the BIOS rom, you should be able to find it.  If it is a jumper on the motherboard, then you would need to get help from Dell.

Does the motherboard have an AGP slot?  That is the first clue that the onboard video can be disabled.  If it does not have an onboard AGP slot, then the odds are the onboard video cannot be disabled.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Jayclark

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 09:26:27 PM »
I don't no much about Dells but I know some people with Hp's and they have neither a jumper or a bio's setting to disable onboard video. You have to leave it installed then disable it through device manger. Then shut down then install the other graphics card.

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 05:12:08 PM »
JayClark is right...try this:

WindowsXP Home

Start/Control Panel/System/Click on the "Hardware" Tab

In the "Device manager" section click on the "Device manager" button.

Scroll down to "Video Adapters" click on the + to expand if necessary.

Right click over the Integrated video adapter  (probably Intel xxx)

Click "Properties"

At the bottom you will see a section called "Device Usage", click on the drop down arrow and left click "Do not use this device"

Click OK.

Install your PCI card and drivers go back to device manager this time selecting the new Video adapter listing.

This time in the "Device usage" section make sure "Use this device" is selected in the drop down.

Click OK.

Good Luck
Sun
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.