Author Topic: Why we must ANNIHILATE newbies  (Read 743 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Why we must ANNIHILATE newbies
« on: August 20, 2001, 08:26:00 PM »
We're doin it fer their own good:

Researchers: Video games hurt brain development
By CNET News.com Staff
August 20, 2001, 10:05 a.m. PT
Scientists at Japan's Tohoku University said they've found that computer games stimulate only those parts of the brain devoted to vision and movement and do not aid the development of other important areas of the brain.

The researchers are particularly concerned that by spending many hours playing games some children will not develop their frontal lobes, which play a crucial role in controlling behavior and in developing memory, emotion and learning.

In contrast, tasks such as arithmetic stimulate brain activity in the frontal lobe, which is thought to continue developing until adulthood.

Professor Ryuta Kawashima, who led the team that carried out the research, told The Observer that the discovery is highly important.

"There is a problem we will have with a new generation of children--who play computer games--that we have never seen before," he said. "The implications are very serious for an increasingly violent society, and these students will be doing more and more bad things if they are playing games and not doing other things like reading aloud or learning arithmetic."

Kawashima asserts that children must be encouraged to practice basic mathematics, reading and writing to boost the development of the frontal lobe. He is convinced that children who play video games excessively will not develop their frontal lobes and will consequently be more prone to violent acts because they will be less able to control their behavior.

The study looked at the brain activity of hundreds of students playing a Nintendo game and compared it with other students who were carrying out basic arithmetic. It found that much more brain activity was needed to solve the simple mathematic tasks than was used to play the computer games and that activity in the frontal lobe varied significantly.

Staff writer Graeme Wearden reported from London.

Offline Dmitry

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2001, 09:30:00 PM »
As I always said - Nintendo sucks... stop playing them!! and now it seems we better ban them too....   :D

Offline bigUC

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2001, 03:55:00 AM »
Bah!  We are all in our thirties or more!  Our brains have stopped developing a looong time ago!   :p  Instead we should be afraid of dementias like Alzheimers) and other age related organic diseases - My tip is to drink from glass bottles instead of aluminum cans, and the beer in them usually tastes better too...

And have u actually tried on of the new consoles? All stupid fighting games and driving games - both based on stuff that no nintendofreak is ever gonna learn... They should be outside, stealing cars and beating up people instead.  Actually, those kids should be happy it doesn't reverse brain development...   :D

Only God knows what adverse effect these consoles is gonna have on their gonads...  Prolly some evil eastern scheme to make all western men grow up impotent....   :D

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: bigUC ]
Kurt is winking at U!

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2001, 10:31:00 AM »
bigUC, I'm actually considering a PS2 just because that's the only platform EA Sports is making NCAA products for anymore!  Scary... $300 just to buy/play a $55 football game with college teams.  Sheesh, is it so hard to port that game to the PC?  EA makes plenty of cash off of The Sims, they can afford to port NCAA football to the PC!!!   ;)

As for the study, sounds like they only tested fighting games.  Games that require you to think some I would think would stimulate the frontal lobe.  *shrugs*
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline bigUC

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2001, 11:11:00 AM »
Well , frankly speaking I played Gran Turismo 3 over at a friends house the other day and had a blast!   Was unable to drive home safely afterwards, tough...
Kurt is winking at U!

Offline zapkin

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2001, 11:35:00 AM »
duh....video games make you dumb....duh....maybe happened that  is to what me ?

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2001, 11:47:00 AM »
Vulcan,

If what those Japanese Scientists discovered is true, you'd be a drooling blithering idiot by now due to all your video game exposure.

Hmmmmmmm.

AKDejaVu

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2001, 12:23:00 PM »
I am in the same boat as you Nifty.  Being up here in Birmingham, Alabama and not getting to play the newest version of NCAA college football each year for the past few has gotten to me.  And yes $300 for a console and another $50+ for a game is ridiculous but I see no other choice.  That is why I am on the lookout for one that is cheap both in the newspaper and online.  Also did you know that the PS2 is going to drop about 50-75 dollars in the next few weeks as the X-Box gets prepped to release at $300+.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2001, 12:35:00 PM »
Actually, the X-Box, because they are bundling crap and trying to con shelf space, will cost anywhere from $500-$1500 when it is released...

;)

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
Helllooooooooo Bham! Nice to meet ya  :) Its time for a mini con South HBlair.  :eek: