Author Topic: V-Sync off or on?  (Read 295 times)

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
V-Sync off or on?
« on: June 04, 2004, 12:33:57 PM »
Okay, I have always played AH with V-Sync off, I read something in the very beginning that VS off would give you better frame rates.

How do most of you play? In the AH2 arena last night I got some info that V-sync off might contribute to rubber bullets.

I turned it back on.

Dang, how about those stutters and framerate jump-arounds in AH2?

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
V-Sync off or on?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 01:08:49 PM »
I'm not an expert, but from what I understand V-Sync on is better. While turning V-Sync off allows your video card to attempt to render very high FPS, in actual fact your framerate is really only as high as the refresh rate of your monitor at a given resolution. So, while it may say you are getting 250 FPS (what your video card is kicking out), you are actually only achieving/seeing 75 FPS or whatever your monitor refresh rate is at your resolution.

The end result of all this according to what I have read is a discrepency between what you see and what your FE actually tells the server happened, this results in the rubber bullet phenomena.

Maybe someone with more technical savvy than myself can articulate the process better. But, in a nutshell turning V-Sync off gives the illusion of better framerates, not the reality of better framerates. Subjectively, I proved that V-Sync off causes rubber bullets, my hit % with V-Sync off is significantly lower than with it on after long periods of testing. Not proof, but evidence enough for me to keep V-Sync on forever.

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
V-Sync off or on?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 04:34:01 PM »
Vsynch on is always better in your gaming aka"operating" environment.  Turning it off simply allows the testing of the video card without the monitors refresh rate obfuscating the results.

Having Vsynch off in the game results in some of your monitor displaying one frame and the other half displaying a different frame.  This is seen as texture tear, or to put it another way, your screen seems to actually have a line in the middle with an offset of the gameplay.  It is most pronounced at lower framerates with faster manuevers (like a quick roll near a city).

Turning vsynch off may make the framerate counter go up a little....but its not a true improvement since your monitor cant chow you the extra frames!