Author Topic: FM2 bug  (Read 1263 times)

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
FM2 bug
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2004, 09:49:23 PM »
Originally posted by Pyro

If you want to submit a bribe to get it changed, I thought of one.  Find me some data on the Wright R-1820-56W at emergency power.  I don't need any data on military power or below, I have that.  I haven't looked outside of my own resources for this, so maybe you can find something without too much hassle.

I e-mailed yu a link. All it really says is the new 1820 had 150 more HP than the old 1830.
Had a 10 min water supply for weps. Cannot yet find a site that says anything about how much boost it gave.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
FM2 bug
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2004, 11:31:30 PM »
Maybe it would help if I rememberd to put the link in :D

http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevon/baugher_other/f4f.html
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
FM2 bug
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2004, 12:05:23 AM »
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
FM2 bug
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2004, 03:54:21 PM »
I have no use for begging or bribes, it wasn't my first option to change it this way, but it was the way that I had a definitive answer.  I'm open to changing it again, but I've studied the situation until I've gone cross-eyed and I can't make sense of it with the data I have.  What was previously done was incorrect and I had just conveniently tacked on a constant power boost over its entire altitude range up to high blower critical alt.  It's also wasn't a very big power boost which is why I don't think it will be missed as much as its been dramatized here.  Done correctly, its wep will only be beneficial over a much smaller altitude range, but I believe that the power boost should be quite a bit bigger.  I can't hammer it out though.

If you want to submit a bribe to get it changed, I thought of one.  Find me some data on the Wright R-1820-56W at emergency power.  I don't need any data on military power or below, I have that.  I haven't looked outside of my own resources for this, so maybe you can find something without too much hassle.

==============================================

verbatum out of the Flight Manual.

5. COMBAT POWER

a. A joggle in the throttle control quadrant rail marks the Take-off and Military Power position of the throttle control on airplanes equipped with the R-1820-56W engines; it marks only the military Power position on airplanes in which the R-1820-56WA engine is installed. When the throttle contol lever is against the stop and the RPM is 2600, the pilot obtains Military Power, using Low Blower below 13000 feet or High Blower above 13000 feet. Movement of the throttle lever past the joggle stop to the full forward position allows an additional boost (Combat Power) to a maximum of 50 inches Hg in Low Blower, 52 inches Hg in High Blower while the water is flowing and 46 inches Hg Manifold Pressure in high Blower when the water is exhausted.

b. The water will flow only in High Blower at Combat Power. The manifold pressure regulator will permit a maximum of 52 inches Hg while the water is flowing and will automatically reset the manifold pressure to a maximum of 46 inches Hg when the water is exhausted. When the manifold pressure drops to 43 inches Hg in High Blower the regulator will stop the flow of water.

WARNING

Continuous operation at Combat Power is limited to 5 minutes. Maximum cylinder head temperature is 248 Celcius.

==============================================
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
FM2 bug
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2004, 04:26:13 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot

Also, it is the only U.S. plane that can really dance with the Spit and Zeke. If hobbled, then all you will see launching off the CVs are Spits and Zekes.

I thought the  Fm2 was american built but was an RAF ordered plane, flown by RAF, where as the F4F was the US version. also that both the F4F and Fm2 were same plane to begin with.  With later improvements added on?

no time for research here, anyone got a link for me? ( Thanks in advance )

edited: disregard , thanks for links Morph, ( I had these saved 1 time before on some old dinasour PC I have trashed somewhere lol )
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 04:31:09 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
FM2 bug
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2004, 04:43:15 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
I thought the  Fm2 was american built but was an RAF ordered plane, flown by RAF, where as the F4F was the US version. also that both the F4F and Fm2 were same plane to begin with.  With later improvements added on?

edited: disregard , thanks for links Morph, ( I had these saved 1 time before on some old dinasour PC I have trashed somewhere lol )

I guess this answers the question ...

"The first combat of the FM-2 was during Operation Flintlock, the invasion of Kwajalein, in January 1944, when the USS Manila Bay (Task Group 52.9) carried twelve FM-2s. In June they fought in operation Forager, the invasion of the Marianas."
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
FM2 bug
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2004, 05:16:55 PM »
quote:Originally posted by TequilaChaser
    I thought the Fm2 was american built but was an RAF ordered plane, flown by RAF, where as the F4F was the US version. also that both the F4F and Fm2 were same plane to begin with. With later improvements added on?

Slapshot wrote:

"The first combat of the FM-2 was during Operation Flintlock, the invasion of Kwajalein, in January 1944, when the USS Manila Bay (Task Group 52.9) carried twelve FM-2s. In June they fought in operation Forager, the invasion of the Marianas."

Guess that wasn't enough huh Slap? ( read the bold )   not sure if you saw it
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
FM2 bug
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2004, 05:52:34 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
quote:Originally posted by TequilaChaser
    I thought the Fm2 was american built but was an RAF ordered plane, flown by RAF, where as the F4F was the US version. also that both the F4F and Fm2 were same plane to begin with. With later improvements added on?

Slapshot wrote:

Guess that wasn't enough huh Slap? ( read the bold )   not sure if you saw it

Nope .. I didn't ... sorry ...  ;)
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
FM2 bug
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2004, 06:07:33 PM »
Slap you have to overlook me at times, Bro. I been out of work since nearly Oct of last year Doctor's Orders , I fly til my arm goes dead (numb) I haven't been able to get my dang Z's refilled  and I snap out things unorthodoxed from time to time

just a tad jumpy today is all

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
FM2 bug
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2004, 06:22:16 PM »

According to Dean's America's Hundred Thousand, page 474:

R-1820-56W makes 1,360 hp at 52" MAP in Combat power, 1,300 hp at 46.5" MAP at Military power.

The R-1820-56A made 1,350 hp at 52" MAP in Combat power. Whether or not is was an early production FM-2 or late, it had 1,350 hp at the minimum and 1,360 max at Combat power settings. Both are sea level ratings. Page 472 shows the HP@ altitude curve.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline HUN

• Copper Member
FM2 bug
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2004, 11:13:54 AM »
Thank you for the modifications made to the FM2.

WEP and a bit longer fuel capacity really make a difference with her.