Author Topic: Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?  (Read 4659 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
sand

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 08:55:04 AM »
seems pretty good to me... seems like Bush is keeping his word... again.

Wonder why anyone listens to the french and germans in this matter anyway?   Funny part was france taking credit for most of the ideas in the resolution.

lazs

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 09:06:40 AM »
There is a light...I just hope it isn't the train's headlights.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 09:13:20 AM »
A Positive Step in Iraq

Good piece. Sometimes Krauthammer is over the top, but I think he's about right on in this one.

A few days after my encounter with that MacArthur quotation, I read a brilliant and impassioned article by the eminent British military historian, John Keegan, skewering the commonplace and ahistorical idea -- claiming World War II as a model -- that wars end cleanly, neatly and completely. Keegan's article (London Daily Telegraph, June 1) detailed the bloody aftermath that continued for years after MacArthur's words on the battleship Missouri.

Keegan's larger point was contemporary, however. "The British and American media retail with evident satisfaction every scrap of information" -- bad war news, coalition soldiers' misconduct -- that "undermines any expectation by readers and viewers of a successful outcome to the Iraqi involvement." The fact that transition from the coalition conquest of last April 9 to whatever new Iraq emerges will be difficult and bloody and contentious is the historical norm, argues Keegan, and yet it has been used by critics to discredit both the war and Bush and Blair for having undertaken it.

It's progress. To quote another Brit, "This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." "
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline mosgood

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 09:17:30 AM »
I would love to see G'Dubya figure out a way to pressure France and Russia to forgive the debt owed by Iraq to them.  We dumped a bunch of money to do the job, they should too... since they're so concerned and all for the Iraqi people......

That would be peeerrrrfect.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 09:46:16 AM »
Originally posted by mosgood
I would love to see G'Dubya figure out a way to pressure France and Russia to forgive the debt owed by Iraq to them.  We dumped a bunch of money to do the job, they should too... since they're so concerned and all for the Iraqi people......

That would be peeerrrrfect.

You started the mess - you pay.

If you want us to forgive the debts to Iraq (BTW, mostly debts for oil equipment, not weapons as you are told on TV) - then we expect everyone else to forgive our debts. I think it's fair enough.

Now it looks like any looney in White House starts a stupid war, and the whole world should pay for his toy-soldiers game.

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Re: Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 09:48:50 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&u=/ap/20040609/ap_on_re_mi_ea/un_iraq_040609004018

One step closer to bringing our troops home?

problem with lights at the end of tunnels is that sometimes they're just the light of an approaching train.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 09:51:04 AM »
Boroda anyone who loaned money to Iraq should have know that they wouldn't be able to pay and would be begging for loan forgiveness.

I mean, it's just like someone loaning money to Russia for pete's sake.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 10:00:33 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Boroda anyone who loaned money to Iraq should have know that they wouldn't be able to pay and would be begging for loan forgiveness.

I mean, it's just like someone loaning money to Russia for pete's sake.

You mean that supplying them with oil equipment was a bad investment? You mean the world's biggest oil exporter couldn't afford to pay it's debts?

BTW, Russian gold and hard currency stock is now about two times bigger then our debts. What about the US of A? You still want the money from what's left from the lend-lease debt, and USSR is the only country that had to actually pay for the lend-lease, looks like we are more rich then the UK and others?

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 10:01:42 AM »
Originally posted by _Schadenfreude_
problem with lights at the end of tunnels is that sometimes they're just the light of an approaching train.

Is there an echo in here?

;) :p
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 10:06:40 AM »
Originally posted by Curval
Is there an echo in here?

;) :p

There would be if you were in a tunnel...

But what I think is that the problem with the light at the end of the tunnel usually means that there's an oncoming train heading towards you.

Ravs

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 10:07:09 AM »
There is a light at the end of the tunnel, no thanks to the UnNecessary.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 10:09:45 AM »
Originally posted by ravells
There would be if you were in a tunnel...

But what I think is that the problem with the light at the end of the tunnel usually means that there's an oncoming train heading towards you.

Ravs

lol

My, we are all so clever today.  ;)

Offline mosgood

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2004, 10:16:51 AM »
Originally posted by Boroda
You started the mess - you pay.

If you want us to forgive the debts to Iraq (BTW, mostly debts for oil equipment, not weapons as you are told on TV) - then we expect everyone else to forgive our debts. I think it's fair enough.

Hmmm.... so you think Russia should be concidered a third world country and needs to bailed out of their own mess to huh??

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2004, 10:38:42 AM »
lol...nice try Boroda.

Every time Russia reneges on it's debt obligations the markets fart causing all kinds of people to lose money.  Happens once a year, at least.